A7N8X Dlx. quit posting after 3000/400 install???

Old December 12th 03, 07:01 PM
Paul W H

Default A7N8X Dlx. quit posting after 3000/400 install???

My A7N8X deluxe was posting and booting fine with my palomino 2000+ and
2x256 Giel pc3500 in single channel slots with fsb clock 133 and memory at
150% 6-3-3-2.

I did a restart, went into CMOS setup, changed performance settings from
'user-defined' to 'optimal'...which left me with symetric 100% fsb to
memory( I think), and set the voltages back to 'auto' saved and exited and
powered down and unplugged the AC......
I then installed a barton 3000+ (400), a new vantec VA4-C7040 cooler, and
an additional stick of Kingston hyperX pc3500 512M in slot 3...which left me
with 2 banks of 512M dual-channel(I think).......
I then powered up, drives and fans spin-up and stay spinning, lights on Giel
golden dragons are glowing, and no beep(s), no post reporter, nothing more
happens.
I power-down, clear CMOS, power-up..... still nothing more.
I change cpu back to palomino with old cooler and removed Kingston, cleared
CMOS, and still....no post........????

I am now at a point of trying to figure out what to do about this.......RMA
something(s)???
New Egg has a 7 day policy on cpu's.....So I need to decide quickly.
Any Suggestions....anybody?.....Ben?

Thanx in advance,
Paul

Old December 12th 03, 07:27 PM
Jim

This is worth a try and has gotten me out of no post situations due to bad
settings in the bios. Strip the machine down to just board, CPU and video,
no memory installed, and turn it on, let it try to boot then turn it off
and install one of your stick of ram and try again. Some time this will
clear something in the CMOS that the nornmal CLR CMOS jumper wont.

You also may have corrupted the CMOS, a stange problem that some ( or maybe
many) of these boards have. A search on Google should find lots of hits.
If this is the problem you'll need access to another bios chip to recover
the board.

Old December 12th 03, 08:01 PM
Paul W H

I have since pulled the T-bird out my second computer(A7V133 rev1.05nodot)
and retryed my Palomino, it is working there just fine(probably wont pass
memtest86 v3.0, but......whatever.....)
I think I'll try powering-up the A7N8X dlx. pcb2.0 with just the Kingston,
video card, and no CPU.........oh and a speaker, maybe the asus bitch will
talk to Me
Paul

Old December 12th 03, 09:06 PM
Paul W H

I tried the booting one stick memory, video, and no cpu...asus bitch tells
me no cpu installed. Then tried with t-bird 1000c(and cooler)...no asus
bitch and no beep. Then tried with cpu, video card, and no memory....no asus
bitch and no beep. Then tried with stick of memory....no asus bitch and no
beep. Between each time I also did a CMOS clear.

I would like to test the 3000+400, my A7V133 can barely cope with a
palomino....I won't try the barton. I have a Abit XP333 sitting here, given
to me by someone who couldn't get it to post....was new....not sure if it
can do a barton.....
I'm going to see if it'll post my T-bird.
If anybody knows if 400 barton will run in an abit XP333 I would like to
know.....I suppose I could surf-up the answer to that...but....?
Thanx in advance again,
Paul

P.S.
The vantec VA4-C7040(full speed) seems as quiet as a volcano7 set to low,
and does a lower unloaded cpu temp than the volcano& set to high.

Old December 12th 03, 09:25 PM
Paul W H

I don't have Abit board sitting here.
It's an Iwill XP333(noR)rev. 2.1......
I read a review that it'll do a 400fsb....
.....and that takes multiple resets to pull-up a CMOS sake settings mode.
Guess I'll give it a try.................

a7n8x not posting. Steve-O General 6 December 30th 03 04:16 AM
Questions on new install A7N8X Deluxe algae Asus Motherboards 8 December 9th 03 09:05 AM
A7N8X and ATI 9800 Pro - Installing Mark Owens Asus Motherboards 0 November 8th 03 09:22 AM
A7N8X -X - XP Install Problem - HD not recognised Anonymous Asus Motherboards 1 October 22nd 03 01:10 PM
A7n8x 2.0 vgasave in Clean install of XP? grunge09 Asus Motherboards 5 August 29th 03 11:51 PM