Sure Would Appreciate Your Opinions of My NEW BUILD!

Old March 3rd 04, 04:56 PM
Larry Gagnon

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 04:10:46 GMT
"Carl" wrote:

Hi,

I plan on ordering the following parts in a few days from Newegg. But
before I do, was hoping to get some of your learned opinions of my product
choice. Any suggestions for change?

MS Windows XP Pro Full Version OEM

Carl: don't waste your money making Gates and Co. any wealthier than they
already are. To show the true power of your new build install Linux instead!

Larry Gagnon
Old March 3rd 04, 04:56 PM
Mercury Scythe

Carl wrote:
Hi,

I plan on ordering the following parts in a few days from Newegg. But
before I do, was hoping to get some of your learned opinions of my product
choice. Any suggestions for change?

Thanks in advance.

Aspire X-Superalien Blue Aluminum Server Case w/500W PS Retail

Gigabyte nForce3 AMD Scoket 754 "GA-K8N Pro" Retail

AMD Athlon 64 3200 Retail

Thermaltake SILENT BOOST CPU Cooler All Copper Retail

2x Crucial 512MB DDR PC-3200 OEM (From Crucial)

WD Raptor 74GB HD "WD749GD OEM

ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128MB DDR Video Card Retail

Plextor Black 8x DVD-RW "PX-708A/SW-BL"Retail

MSI Black 16x DVD-Rom "MS-P8216S-707" OEM

Creative Labs Audigy2 ZS PCI "SB0350" Retail

MS Windows XP Pro Full Version OEM

Thanks again,

Carl

You will need better memmory for a monster like that, Get Corsair or OCZ.

I Would also get a better board such as the Gigabyte K8VNXP with the VIA
chipset, which i am using. The best preformer by www.tomshardware.com.
But if you want NF3 get the K8NNXP.

Apart from that you will have a very nice system.

--
-= Mercury Scythe =-
-= =-
Old March 3rd 04, 10:05 PM
ToolPackinMama

Mercury Scythe wrote:

But if you want NF3 get the K8NNXP.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1901&p=12

I agree, that Gigabyte board looks amazing.
Old March 4th 04, 03:04 AM
ray hartman

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 08:56:07 -0800, Larry Gagnon wrote:

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 04:10:46 GMT
"Carl" wrote:

Hi,

I plan on ordering the following parts in a few days from Newegg. But
before I do, was hoping to get some of your learned opinions of my product
choice. Any suggestions for change?

MS Windows XP Pro Full Version OEM

Carl: don't waste your money making Gates and Co. any wealthier than they
already are. To show the true power of your new build install Linux instead!

Larry Gagnon

LG:

Which Linux would that be? I've got a (less impressive) new BARTON2600 build running
WinME -- love to pick a *nix distro, but since RedHat scr*wed me dropping
rhn on my older P4 RedHat_8 system I really have little trust. Neither ENTERPRISE
nor ENTHUSIAST that's me ...and lots of other *nix lusrs. Just looking for
a solid platform for MYSQL & some C-code. Where do we go for
a stable, well_supported v2.6 *nix ?

ray
***
Old March 4th 04, 03:01 PM
Carl

"Mercury Scythe" wrote in message

You will need better memmory for a monster like that, Get Corsair or OCZ.

I Would also get a better board such as the Gigabyte K8VNXP with the VIA
chipset, which i am using. The best preformer by www.tomshardware.com.
But if you want NF3 get the K8NNXP.

Apart from that you will have a very nice system.

--
-= Mercury Scythe =-
-= =-
-=
http://www.mercuryserver.co.nr/ =-

Mercury Scythe

Tried to email you, but got the message returned.

As you suggested, I switched the mb to the GA-K8VNPX and 512 x2 Corsair XMS
3200 CMX5123200LL. I also switched the hd from 1 74GB Raptor to 2 WD 120GB
SATA hd's.

I noticed that you have pc3700 Corsair on your board. Is there a lot of
diff between 3700 and 3200?

Thanks for the tip. Your PC looks Great. Would like to see it in the dark.

Regards,

Carl

Old March 4th 04, 07:58 PM
Mercury Scythe

Carl wrote:

[...]

Thanks Very Much.

As i later found out 3200 memmory is faster than 3700 when not
overclocked due to its faster CAS timeings. All 3700 memmory is is 3200
that has been tested to 3700 (466MHz). If you want the best memmory get
4000 as it is Astual 500MHz chips and has good timeings.

(Thanks for pointing out the email, it wrong on the signeture. arent i
stupid)

--
-= Mercury Scythe =-
-= =-
Old March 5th 04, 12:49 AM
wm

Bob Adkins wrote:
On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 22:03:41 -0700, "Daniel P" wrote:

I know that the 74 gig raptor is fast but, personally i like more storage
right now i am about to get two 250 gig WD SATA HDs mybe if you don't want
to go that big a second raptor would be great.

I always keep 2 drives. My primary drive is a 37GB Raptor, and I keep
Windows XP and my every day apps on it for speed. I have a separate WD 120
GB SATA drive for backing up my documents and family pictures, and keeping
lots of "stuff".

Man, defragging a 250MB drive sounds like a nightmare!

Actually...I think 250MB would go pretty fast these days.
I remember having to defrag my 16MB HD way back in the day though...that
took forever.

Bob

Remove "kins" from address to reply.

Old March 7th 04, 09:44 AM
Erez Volach

"Bob Adkins" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 22:03:41 -0700, "Daniel P" wrote:

I know that the 74 gig raptor is fast but, personally i like more storage
right now i am about to get two 250 gig WD SATA HDs mybe if you don't

want
to go that big a second raptor would be great.

I always keep 2 drives. My primary drive is a 37GB Raptor, and I keep
Windows XP and my every day apps on it for speed. I have a separate WD 120
GB SATA drive for backing up my documents and family pictures, and keeping
lots of "stuff".

Man, defragging a 250MB drive sounds like a nightmare!

Bob

Remove "kins" from address to reply.

The only reason I can see for keeping a 250GB drive as one partition is for
video capturing / editing. In most cases it is reasonable to make several
partitions for different purposes (apps, games, back ups, iso-cd-images,
file storage (not back up), documents, etc.). Then, defragging need only
done on one partition at a time (and you know which partition changed more
and need defragging), so time of defragging is reduced (according to
partition size. and cluster size)
E.V.

P.S. even my tiny 20GB HD is divided to 2GB system, 512MB swap, ~9GB apps,
~9GB files. defragging C most ofen, and blazing fast. neither apps nor files
partition change all that much... but take less than 50% of 20GB would be
times.