Opinions Needed!

Old January 17th 04, 01:15 PM
Mark

Default Opinions Needed!

I need to upgrade my mother board. I'm currently using an MSI KT4V and I've
decided to choose between a few boards.
I'm looking for opinions about these boards. I primarily am looking for
performance and stability.

Abit NF7-S rev 2.0
MSI KT6 Delta
Asus A7N8X (not deluxe)

TIA for all of you who help me out.

Old January 17th 04, 02:09 PM
Ben Pope

Mark wrote:
I need to upgrade my mother board. I'm currently using an MSI KT4V and
I've decided to choose between a few boards.
I'm looking for opinions about these boards. I primarily am looking for
performance and stability.

Abit NF7-S rev 2.0
MSI KT6 Delta
Asus A7N8X (not deluxe)

Why go for the Abit with the bells and whistles, but not the Asus? Do you
want SATA/RAID/Audio/Firewire onboard or not really?

Which MSI were you looking at? There are about 4 different versions with
varying amounts of onboard stuff.

All of those boards are very good, you won't be disappointed with any of
them.

I have an A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0 and it's excellent, I thoroughly recommend an
nForce board, MSI do some as well (K7N2 Delta).

I always used to steer clear of motherboards with lots of stuff on, but they
are genuinely really good... I'm extremely impressed by the Soundstorm
Audio.

Ben

Old January 17th 04, 02:24 PM
Roger M

Mark wrote:

I need to upgrade my mother board. I'm currently using an MSI KT4V and I've
decided to choose between a few boards.
I'm looking for opinions about these boards. I primarily am looking for
performance and stability.

Abit NF7-S rev 2.0
MSI KT6 Delta
Asus A7N8X (not deluxe)

TIA for all of you who help me out.

If you don't need sata or raid I'd use an Epox 8RDA3I. Imo Epox are very good
quality and very stable even when oc'd. I don't have any experience with the
others so I couldn't say. The only thing I know is there was a lot of bitchin'
about Abit boards on the groups a while back. Something about almost all of
them having been assembled with bad capacitors. That was enough to keep me from
buying them. The latest stuff on the NF7 have been rave reviews, I guess time
will tell.

Roger

Old January 17th 04, 02:39 PM
Ben Pope

Roger M wrote:
If you don't need sata or raid I'd use an Epox 8RDA3I. Imo Epox are very
good quality and very stable even when oc'd. I don't have any experience
with the others so I couldn't say. The only thing I know is there was a
lot of bitchin' about Abit boards on the groups a while back. Something
about almost all of them having been assembled with bad capacitors. That
was enough to keep me from buying them. The latest stuff on the NF7 have
been rave reviews, I guess time will tell.

Sounds like the era of the BE6-II (and the BP6 IIRC) which was a while ago
(mid '99?). Many of the Taiwanese manufacturers were affected, not just
Abit. I'm under the impression that it was a bunch of mislabelled
capacitors, so not really the motherboard manufacturers fault.

Ben

Old January 17th 04, 05:12 PM
QBall

The following are all NF2 boards.
For best sound - Epox 8rda+ 2.1 (good price, too) - even beats the NF7-S2.
For best overclockability - NF7-S2 (runs my 2800+ at 2.55 GHz)
Next best all-rounder - DFI Ultra

Old January 21st 04, 12:37 PM
Vis Mike

"Ben Pope" wrote in message
Roger M wrote:
If you don't need sata or raid I'd use an Epox 8RDA3I. Imo Epox are

very
good quality and very stable even when oc'd. I don't have any experience
with the others so I couldn't say. The only thing I know is there was a
lot of bitchin' about Abit boards on the groups a while back. Something
about almost all of them having been assembled with bad capacitors. That
was enough to keep me from buying them. The latest stuff on the NF7 have
been rave reviews, I guess time will tell.

Sounds like the era of the BE6-II (and the BP6 IIRC) which was a while ago
(mid '99?). Many of the Taiwanese manufacturers were affected, not just
Abit. I'm under the impression that it was a bunch of mislabelled
capacitors, so not really the motherboard manufacturers fault.

Funny you should mention the BP6, I'm using a trusty dual 500 MHz right now

It's time to upgrade, and it seems like the right time for the products and
prices that are out there. So far, it looks like it's going to be:

Abit NF7-S Revision 2.0
AMD Athlon XP 2500+
Crucial PC3200 512 MB DDR
Thermalright SLK900-A
Vantec 80x38 Tornado

I want to build an upgradable, overclockable system. Overclock to 2.1 GHz,
maybe buy another 512 MB down the road and enable dual channel.

-- Mike

Old January 21st 04, 03:36 PM
Ben Pope

Vis Mike wrote:
It's time to upgrade, and it seems like the right time for the products
and prices that are out there. So far, it looks like it's going to be:

Abit NF7-S Revision 2.0
AMD Athlon XP 2500+
Crucial PC3200 512 MB DDR
Thermalright SLK900-A
Vantec 80x38 Tornado

I want to build an upgradable, overclockable system. Overclock to 2.1
GHz, maybe buy another 512 MB down the road and enable dual channel.

Well in terms of upgradeability... Socket A is nearing it's end of life.
AMD say they'll be supporting it for another year or so... not sure if
they'll be releasing any faster chips or not.

Not that the above system is a bad choice, just don't expect more than
around 2.0-2.2GHz.

Ben