Placing a Fan on the side of the case to blow air to the CPU cooler, good idea ?

Old August 28th 03, 02:43 PM
Nick Young

Default Placing a Fan on the side of the case to blow air to the CPU cooler, good idea ?

Hi,

I actually done this on two of my machines. Well the current one came with
a hole already in the side. Firstly, it did help to lower the temp of my
CPU in my first machine as the hole was directly above the CPU. Even
without putting a fan on the hole, it helped. I tried two fans, a silent
and a loud!!! Both worked fine, obviously the higher powered ones tend to
keep it cooler tha the lower powered. My second case, the hole is slightly
lower than the CPU and dosnt make a blind bit of difference.

Secondly, if you are going to cut a hole yourself, a couple of tips,

1. Wear eye protection!!!
2. Make sure you have something to hold the case steady with (I used a
family member for this)
3. Double check All the measurements (this can be a pain if you get it
wrong,
4. Something I forgot about when doing my mod, make sure the fan leads are
long enough so that you can connect it with the case off!!!

As I said, this worked in my original setup, but you may find a different
heatsink (the Zalman Flower) to be an easier and less drastic solution.

Hope this is of help,
Nick

"We Live For The One We Die For The One"
wrote in message ...

Just thought this would lower the CPu temp.

As it would be fresh coool air from the outside of the box going to
the cpu, rather than air from the inside.

Tell me if i'am wrong.

I'am just going to put a quiet low RPM fan and maybe duct the air to
the cpu cooler.

Thanks.

Old August 28th 03, 10:54 PM
We Live For The One We Die For The One

How much cooler did it make the CPU ????

Would liek to try it if it makes it like 5 degress cooler, less might
not bother.

Thanks.

Old August 29th 03, 01:07 AM
Strontium

If you're looking to get 5C cooler, it might be a better idea to get a
server tower with 2x80mm fans in front and 2x80mm fans in back with a fan on
the side of the case. My processor temp dropped 10C, after ditching the
mid-tower. Round HDD/CDROM cables help, also.
-
We Live For The One We Die For The One stood up at show-n-tell, in

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old August 29th 03, 04:32 AM
We Live For The One We Die For The One

I have a full town, one 80mm fan at the front two 80mm at the back

But i cut the front hole to hold a 120mm

The ******* is tooooooo loud going to get a papast one.

The 80MM fan is ok now though, just got to mount it with elastic bands
to cut down the vibration.

Is 46c at idle for an athlon Xp 2000 ?, Mianboard temp is 22c, though
it is pretty much winter.

thanks.

Old August 29th 03, 09:18 AM
Nick Young

Hi,

With the original setup, with the hole directly over the CPU and with a
powerful fan, I think it only droped by about 3C, at the highest. However
this also increased when I changed the heatsink to a Zalman Flower. They
seem to get read of the heat mor efficiently than anyother heatsink I have
used. I would say you should be able to lower the CPU by about 3C, as the
others said, to get mine down further, I have had to put an intake and
exhaust fan, both 80mm and powerful on the system. Which has kept the CPU
over 5C lower than without them. But your system will be noisy!!!

Cheers,

Old August 29th 03, 09:24 AM
Strontium

That's where the Zalman ZM-MFC1 comes into play

-
Nick Young stood up at show-n-tell, in ,

Old August 29th 03, 06:07 PM
Phil Weldon

Yes, I think it a good idea to place a fan in the side of a tower case,
blowing directly into the CPU cooler. I have two tower/server cases. On
each I have a 120 mm Papst 12v fan blowing into the case. The CPU fan is
installed to blow air toward the heat sink. The flow of air from the 120 mm
fan covers the area covered by the heatsink, the AGP card, the memory, and
the chipset. Two 80 mm fans in the rear blow in, the power supply fan blows
out. The main air exhaust is through the louvered front panel, past the
drives (six in 5.25 inch bays with one inch spacing between hard drives. I
have electrostatic filters over the intake fans - that keeps the insides a
lot cleaner, especially the heatsink fins.

Phil Weldon,

Old August 30th 03, 06:27 AM
We Live For The One We Die For The One

I just cut a hole on the side of my PC case 80mm.

Just rolled up some cardboard and made a duct to the cpu cooler.

Temps went from 46 to 42c, cpu temp.

So lowered it 4c.

Without the duct did not change the temp.

Mainboard temp stayed the same.

Going to add a very low rpm fan like 1600 rpm just to give the cpu
some cool air from outside see if i can make it go down more than 5c.

Thanks.

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 07:25:44 -0500, "Ed Medlin"
wrote:

"Strontium" wrote in message
If you're looking to get 5C cooler, it might be a better idea to get a
server tower with 2x80mm fans in front and 2x80mm fans in back with a fan

on
the side of the case. My processor temp dropped 10C, after ditching the
mid-tower. Round HDD/CDROM cables help, also.
-

The round cables are something not mentioned a whole lot here. I got a 5c
drop in both ambient and CPU temps by using them instead of ribbon cables. I
do have 4 hdds in a Lian Li PC60 series case and the increased airflow was
dramatic indeed. Even with the rounded cables, routing them correctly is
important too. There are also some that are of better quality and it is
fairly easy to tell when you have them up close to inspect. I purchase them
locally, so I can take a look at them up close to check the shielding and
general quality of them.

Ed

Old August 30th 03, 06:43 AM
Strontium

I think the optimal position for a side fan would be lower, directly across
from the AGP slot. You've already got the PSU with a fan sucking up, right?
I think that by placing the side fan below the processor, in front of the
AGP slot, you will create a nice stream going from bottom to top of the CPU
heatsink getting exhausted by the PSU fan. With a good exhaust fan, or two,
on the rear of the case you will also be exhausting the heat from the video
card more efficiently. If you don't have the cash for a Zalman, server
tower, and a fan regulator, you're going to have to get creative to have a
well-cooled box with low noise.

-
We Live For The One We Die For The One stood up at show-n-tell, in
, and said:

One thing i do notice is if i place a fan were i want it just on the
side of the case it makes the cpu fan go faster ?

Not what i want though the fan i used was over 2000 rpm, uf it makes
the cpu fan go faster that means more noise.

Just want the cpu to get cooler air so it gos slower.

Thanks.
Again.

Old August 30th 03, 10:15 AM
David Maynard

We Live For The One We Die For The One wrote:
One thing i do notice is if i place a fan were i want it just on the
side of the case it makes the cpu fan go faster ?

If it's blowing directly on the CPU fan then it's lowering the airflow
resistance to it, hence it runs faster for the same power input.