Overclocking the P4 2.4C

Old October 1st 03, 04:09 PM
Hans Nieser

Default Overclocking the P4 2.4C

I'm not sure what the general consent on overclocking in this group is, but
I figured it was worth a shot. I'm not even sure if it's legal or not -
though I would guess it is, I'll simply lose warranty.

Anyway, I recently bought the following parts to upgrade my PC:

ASUSTek P4C800 Deluxe (Intel 875P chipset)
P4 2.4GHz 800FSB Boxed (sSpec: SL6WF Costa Rica, batch: 3317A224)
2 x Kingston ValueRAM 256MB PC3200 C3 (KVR400X64C3/256)

I got all of it running without any problems, and now I have become
interested in overclocking this thing. So far the best I managed to get out
of it was 2.94GHz at an FSB of 245MHz using a DRAM divider of 5:4 (196*2MHz)
at a Vcore of 1.6v. My CPU is now 55 °C at 100% load, but runs quite stable
(had Prime95 running the Torture test for half an hour, no errors).

Even though going from 2.4 to 2.94Ghz isn't that bad in itself, according to
most other people wo have tried overclocking this CPU (with the same core
stepping) it should be able to go higher then this (3.4Ghz for example)
using the default Vcore and Fan/Heatsink (But I'm already increasing the
Vcore here).

But I can't get Windows to boot if I increase my FSB with as little as 5MHz.
I don't feel like increasing my Vcore any higher then it is currently as I'm
not sure how far I can push it (last thing I need is a dead CPU). I'm also
not sure if any extra cooling would help, the CPU only goes above 50°C if
I'm using it 100%.

One thing that I noticed, when monitoring my Vcore with CPU-Z/ASUS PC Probe,
it seemed that whenever my CPUs usage goes up, the Vcore drops drastically.
Sometimes it'll lose more then 0.06v. I'm not sure if maybe the Vcore sensor
is to blame but that just doesn't seem quite right to me.

What I wanted to know was if anyone else had some experience overclocking
these 2.4C CPUs and if anyone has any tips for me. And, wether this Vcore
dropping when CPUs usage gets higher thing is something to worry about.

Any help, tips would be greatly appreciated.

Old October 3rd 03, 04:10 PM
lost

That's a pretty good overclock, I think you should be happy with that. People
who've gotten their systems to 3.4GHz probably had a 2.8GHz P4 to start with.
Keep in mind you're not just overclocking the CPU, but other things like the
hard disc controller - a 43MHz PCI speed is really pushing some things.