HP550: Problem with tri-color print cartridge

Old January 28th 04, 07:11 PM
DCO

Default HP550: Problem with tri-color print cartridge

I hope someone here may have an idea better than HP tech support.

A few months ago, my 5550 told me there was a problem with the
tri-color cartridge: remove and reinsert, or replace. Well, I
replaced it, but the error message continued. Since that time, I have
been able to print (in color), but I get the error message every time,
and the printer prints a test page after every print job. I have
reinstalled the driver (after making appropriate changes to my
registry), but no change. I tried to update the driver, but the file
from HP will not execute for some reason (I downloaded it twice, just
in case it was a corrupt download). I even did a reinstall of XP for
an unrelated reason, and the problem persists.

Before you say it's a problem with the cartridge or printer, I should
add that the printer works fine hooked up to another PC, running
WinME.

Here is the info from HP's printer assistant:

Windows Version: WinXP
Ram: 511MB
Virtual memory: 1250MB
Disk Space, Free Space: 11672MB/3695MB
CD Rom: D:\
Model name: HP Deskjet 5550
Printer Info: hp Deskjet5550
- Drv=hp deskjet 5550 series 5.0.0.0
- Port=LPT1:
Printer asst version/update version: 3.0/1
Temp File/Directory/Number/Size: C:\DOCUME~1\David\LOCALS~1\Temp
117 Files
18 Directories
5252 KB

And here are the instructions I followed for the driver reinstall:

(1) Please perform the steps mentioned below to delete the printer
driver entries from registry:

1. Please click "Start" "Run".
2. Type in "regedit" and click "OK"
3. Click "File" at the top left corner of the window. Click "Export".
This will bring up the Export Registry File Save window.
4. In the "File Name" field, type "HP", then click "Save". This will
back-up the registry to restore the computer if anything goes wrong.
5. Click plus (+) to the left of "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" located on the
left side of the registry editor.
6. Click plus (+) to the left of "Software".
7. Right-Click the "Hewlett-Packard" folder and click "Delete".
(Please continue with the next step if not able to delete)

(2) Please click "Start" "My Computer", then double click "C:"
"Program Files".
Please check if there is a folder named "HP Deskjet 5550 Series" or
something like that.
If you find it there, please delete that folder.
(Please delete if you have multiple copies of HP Deskjet 5550 there)
(Please continue with the next step if not able to delete)

(3) Please click "Start" "Control Panel" "Printers and Faxes".
Please delete the icons named "HP Deskjet 5550 series" if it is there.
(Please delete if you have multiple copies of HP Deskjet 5550 there)

(4) Please click "Start" "All Programs". Please see if
"Hewlett-Packard" is there in the list or not.
If you find "Hewlett-Packard", please right-click on it and click
"delete".

(5) 1. Click 'Start' 'Search' 'Files and Folders'.
2. In the 'Search for files or folders named' field, type 'Hpz*.*'.
3. The 'Look in' field should indicate the 'C' drive.
4. Under the More Advanced Options make sure that everything is
checked except 'Case Sensitive' and 'Search Tape Back up'.
5. Locate and delete all found files. Most likely there will be a few
files that will not delete. Skip them and delete the rest.
6. Repeat the search process for the hpf*.* files and delete that
also.

(6) Now please restart the computer.

(7) Please reinstall the printer drivers with the help of the driver
CD.

Any bright ideas?

Grateful for suggestions,
David
Old February 9th 04, 01:24 PM
Rich

David,
I have the same problem with my HP5550.
I have been watching the newsgroup for the last two weeks hoping for a
response. Have you had any responses directly to YOU?

Rich

Old February 11th 04, 09:51 PM
John

David & Rich,

I'm running Win 98 SE and I've had zero problems with my HP5510. Apparently
"older" is better in this case. There is a "Critical Update" patch out there
for the HP software used with the 5510. Below is the HP bulletin I received.
I'm not sure if it's a fix for your tricolor cartridge problem, but you might
want to check it out. You can also get the update from "HP Software Update"
(Start ... Programs ... HP ... HP Software Update).

Regards,
John

Hewlett Packard is pleased to provide the following documentation via email.
Please do not reply to this message, as the HP Customer Care Center
cannot be reached via this mailbox. Should further technical support be
needed, please call the Customer Care Center directly or visit the
Customer Care website at:
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/siteHom...i?&cc=us&lc=en

NOTE: The document presented below is available in its original form on our
web site.
To view it, simply point your browser to the following URL:

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport...?doc=c00047357

Thank-you for contacting HP,

Your Customer Care Representative.

Install This Critical Update for Your HP Digital Imaging Software
Security level: Public

In this document:
Issue details

Downloading and installing the update

Affected product models

This document and update apply to products that were packaged with the HP
Memories Disc Creator software application. This includes the following
products:

HP and Compaq desktop and notebook PCs
Photosmart All-in-Ones, Printer Scanner Copiers (PSC), and Officejets
Digital Photography CDs

Microsoft Windows users should download and install the critical HP Memories
Disc Creator application update provided below. You should install this update
even if you don’t use, or have no plans to use, the HP Memories Disc Creator
application.

CAUTION: Failure to install this update could result in potential critical
errors that can include loss of ability to start Windows or loss of data files.

If you are unsure if the update applies to your HP or Compaq product, try
installing the update anyway. The install utility will quickly check your
system and inform you whether or not your computer is affected by the issue.

The file size of the update is small. It will download in less than a minute or
up to ten minutes depending on your connection speed.

Important: Apply the update immediately if you recently purchased an HP or
Compaq personal computer that uses the Windows XP operating system (Home,
Professional, or Media Center editions). If you purchased any of the other
products listed above, install the product and then apply this update before
running the HP Memories Disc Creator application.

Issue details
This issue can occur if you install the software that came with an older
peripheral product, such as a printer or camera, onto your new computer or in
conjunction with an All-in-One. When you try to run the HP Memories Disc
Creator program, it will fail. In addition, the following errors could occur:

Hal.dll error message
Boot.ini error message
missing applications and/or files

These error conditions might delete certain files. If you receive one of these
errors, you may need to perform a full system recovery, which will erase your
data. Please prevent this condition from occurring by downloading and
installing the following critical application update.

NOTE: As a standard practice, HP recommends that all PC owners routinely back
up and secure their personal data to help prevent data loss.HP also recommends
regularly running HP Software Update for those computers that have it
installed. To access HP Software Update, click Start, select Programs or All
Programs, select HP, and then click HP Software Update.

Downloading and installing the update
Please follow the steps below to download and install this important
application update:

Click the following link to begin downloading the update: HP Memories Disc
Creator Update (in English).

When the File Download window appears, click Open to start downloading the
update.

The InstallShield Wizard appears.

Click Next to continue.

Select I accept the terms in the license agreement, and then click Next.

NOTE: If the update is not applicable to your product, one of two messages will
appear stating, "Your PC does not need this update." or "Your PC is already
updated." Click OK. Your PC is not affected by this compatibility issue and no
further action is required. Otherwise, continue to the next step.

A message appears stating that the InstallShield Wizard will install the Patch
for Memories Disc Creator 2.0 on your computer. Click Update to continue.

After a message appears stating that the update is complete, click Finish to
finish the update process. Your HP Memories Disc Creator software is now
updated, and you are no longer vulnerable to the compatibility issue.

Important: If you uninstall and reinstall the product software at a future
date, you will need to install this patch again. HP Software Update will
automatically offer you the update if you need it again in the future.

Affected product models
The following is a specific list of the affected product models:

NOTE: Some of the products are listed by the series of product models they
belong to. For example, a Pavilion a3xx series PC would include all product
models that have "a3" and then two other numbers and possibly another letter
following it, such as the a300n.
all HP Pavilion a3xx, j3xx, m3xx, t3xx and v3xx series desktop PCs that shipped
with Microsoft Windows XP (Home, Professional, or Media Center editions).
some HP Pavilion Models a420a, t402k, t427k, t442k, and v462k desktop PCs that
shipped with Microsoft Windows XP (Home, Professional or Media Center editions)

some Compaq Presario Models S6010AN, S6030AN, S6100KR, S6500KR desktop PCs that
shipped with Microsoft Windows XP (Home, Professional or Media Center editions)

some HP Pavilion zd7xxx, zx5xxx, ze55xx, zv5xx and ze45xx series notebooks that
shipped with Microsoft Windows XP (Home, Professional or Media Center editions)

HP PSC 1300 series All-in-Ones
HP PSC 2300 series Photosmart All-in-Ones
HP PSC 2400 series Photosmart All-in-Ones
HP PSC 2500 series Photosmart All-in-Ones
HP OfficeJet 5500 series All-in-Ones
Discover Digital Photography CD

Subject: HP5550: Problem with tri-color print cartridge
From: Rich
Date: 2/9/04 8:24 AM Eastern Standard Time

DCO wrote:
[...]

Help needed with unidentified problem ^MisterJingo^ General 3 November 23rd 04 05:45 AM
ATI Radeon 8500 problem (or the ViewSonice A90f+ monitor problem)?? T.T. Ati Videocards 0 October 9th 04 07:19 PM
Mouse Problem Jeff Homebuilt PC's 0 October 1st 04 06:44 AM
not the same old B&W problem (I don't think) Brian Lee Ati Videocards 0 July 9th 04 01:15 AM
Really WEIRD problem! TMack Ati Videocards 4 April 12th 04 04:30 AM