Wierd Issue with geforce4

Old December 14th 04, 02:39 PM
Browser Joe

Default Wierd Issue with geforce4

I thought I had an asus v9180 card but in turn, it's an hp oem card part
number 5187-2181.

Here's my problem, my mb supports 8x (asus a7v400-mx) but my agp rate is
set to 4x. I can set it lower, but not to 8x. I didn't think that my
card was a 4x.

The vid card specs a
geforce4 mx440
128mb

I can't find any info other than hp replacement parts website, and that
doesn't have any tech info on the card. Could someone point out if it is
a 4x card, or is there something to set it to 8x?

Thanks.
Old December 14th 04, 03:34 PM
Browser Joe

Answered my question... With further holmes-like sleuthing I found a
tiny silscreened number.... asus v8170... it's a crappy gf4 mx420 -4x-.
Note to other ontario residents, don't buy from factorydirect... I paid
for a gf4 440 8x, and got this crap instead. Lucky for them it had a 30
day replacement warranty... I might still go stir up some fudge...

On another note, why would the system identify it as a 440? I also find
it odd that there would be a 4x card with 128mb?

Old December 15th 04, 04:33 PM
Spack

"Browser Joe" wrote in message
.. .
Answered my question... With further holmes-like sleuthing I found a
tiny silscreened number.... asus v8170... it's a crappy gf4 mx420 -4x-.
Note to other ontario residents, don't buy from factorydirect... I paid
for a gf4 440 8x, and got this crap instead. Lucky for them it had a 30
day replacement warranty... I might still go stir up some fudge...

On another note, why would the system identify it as a 440?

Possibly a BIOS update - the identification comes from the driver reading
the BIOS, if it was modified to output the model code for an MX440 the
drivers will report that. However, the V8170 *IS* an MX440 - see
http://uk.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=V...-SE/T&langs=11 available in
64MB and 128MB versions- albeit the 440SE rather than the straight 440.
There was another card with the model V8710, but it was only in a 64MB model
and had the original MX440 chip.

I also find it odd that there would be a 4x card with 128mb?

Why? My Ti4200 128mb is a 4x. The 8x releases were simple updates to the
existing 4x cards, of which all the GF4 chipsets had existing 4x releases.
The performance difference between 4x and 8x is negligible anyway, 4x has
plenty of bandwidth to avoid saturation, especially on low end chipsets like
the MX variants.

Dan

Old December 15th 04, 04:36 PM
Spack

Oh, one other thing - the 440SE is the slowest of the 440 chips, but it
still has twice the memory bandwidth of the 420 chip and the same fill rate
and triangles per second as the 440 and 440 AGP 8X

Dan

Old December 15th 04, 05:33 PM
Browser Joe

Point well taken. I'm looking for a better card now... Not insanely
better, I'm an off and on gamer. Maybe a ti or something cheap...\

Old December 16th 04, 09:09 AM
Spack

"Browser Joe" wrote in message
.. .
Point well taken. I'm looking for a better card now... Not insanely
better, I'm an off and on gamer. Maybe a ti or something cheap...\

Ti4200 is a cracking card, have one myself. The FX5900XT is nice too,
although the only reason I replaced my Ti4200 with one is due to a pricing
error at eBuyer so I got it for £60 instead of £160 (at the time that was
around $100 instead of $260). I still have the Ti4200 in my 2nd PC for when
friends come over to play, no way I'd sell it on. The new 6600 still looks
too expensive to upgrade to yet, and I doubt I'll be replacing either of the
cards I have any time soon, I'm not a compulsive upgrader and until my
5900XT is no longer able to run the games I like to play satisfactorily I
see no reason to use anything else.

Dan

Old December 16th 04, 10:19 PM
dvus

Spack wrote:

[...]
I'm not a compulsive upgrader and until my 5900XT is no longer able to
run the games I like to play satisfactorily I see no reason to use
anything else.

Begone!! You're making me look bad! If I were a wealthy person I'd have me a
cutting edge machine with the latest and fastest CPU and the fastest ATI and
nVidia Super-Ultra GPU and as many Gigs of ram as I could cram in the slots
and a 1000 watt PSU and a honkin' eleventy terabyte SATA Raid array and a
DVD reader/burner and a liquid helium cooling system so I could overclock
the hell out of everything.

Oh, and a 3-1/2" floppy disk drive so I could install the little game my
grandson likes.

dvus