Which is better? 256mb fx5700 or 128mb fx5900?

Old December 10th 04, 09:42 PM
John Dawg

Default Which is better? 256mb fx5700 or 128mb fx5900?

I am a budget gamer on an athlon xp 2800 oced slightly and 512 mb of ram
and a geforce 4 mx440 64mb oced to 312/579 and a SB Live! LS 5.1. I'm
running Windows 98 and I'm pretty sure my graphics card is the
bottleneck for UT2004, Sims 2, etc. I am interested in Doom 3. So,
like I said which card is better, 256mb fx5700 or 128mb fx5900?? The
fx5700 is about $30 cheaper give or take a few... Thx!
Old December 10th 04, 09:47 PM
Visceral_Syn

the 5700 has a beaming fast 128bit memory interface(sic), while the 5900 has
256bit...you do tha math!

Old December 10th 04, 10:04 PM
Cuzman

"John Dawg" wrote in message

" So, like I said which card is better, 256mb fx5700 or 128mb fx5900?? "

The 5900 is well worth the extra $20.
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...charts-08.html

Old December 10th 04, 10:07 PM
John Dawg

So then what advantage is more ram on the card? I may sound dumb but I'm
just curious... if I got a 256mb 5900 what advantage would I see over
the 128mb 5900?
Old December 10th 04, 10:58 PM
Pete D

"John Dawg" wrote in message
So then what advantage is more ram on the card? I may sound dumb but I'm
just curious... if I got a 256mb 5900 what advantage would I see over the
128mb 5900?

Mostly no advantage on current games in fact they often use slower memory so
that the 256meg cards are slower.

Old December 10th 04, 11:11 PM
John Dawg

Thx for all the great info!! I really appreciate!! And researching
further, more vram just increases your maximum possible
resolution/depth...which right now 128 mb is getting high enough for
anything smaller than a 4 foot monitor. Mine's only 17", don't know
why I would ever want 2048x1536 @ 32bpp anyway.
Old December 10th 04, 11:20 PM
John Dawg

Now looking at the specs on the cards it seems as though the 128 mb
supports the same resolution... is video memory used for something
different nowadays than what is in the website I'm reading? If i'm
getting too far OT please warn me, I'm new to this ng. Thanks!
Old December 10th 04, 11:22 PM
CapFusion

"John Dawg" wrote in message
So then what advantage is more ram on the card? I may sound dumb but I'm
just curious... if I got a 256mb 5900 what advantage would I see over the
128mb 5900?

Simple answer -
You simply have more data for storage if need.

CapFusion,...

Old December 10th 04, 11:28 PM
dvus

John Dawg wrote:

Now looking at the specs on the cards it seems as though the 128 mb
supports the same resolution... is video memory used for something
different nowadays than what is in the website I'm reading? If i'm
getting too far OT please warn me, I'm new to this ng. Thanks!

I wouldn't think asking about the abilities of an nVidia video card would be
OT in here, but we DO enjoy 2 or 3 page long posts about one's prowess at
Quake. An inability to form complete sentences wouldn't hurt, either.

dvus