GeForce4 MX440 128Mb with MSI fan going faulty

Old June 27th 04, 10:18 PM
Dom Robinson

Default GeForce4 MX440 128Mb with MSI fan going faulty

I have a PC with WinXP, P2.66Ghz, 512Mb RAM, etc, etc, but it's only the
graphics card that's got a problem.

It's a GeForce4 MX440 128Mb with an MSI fan, and I understand there are some
cards like this that get along without a fan without locking up. I have no
intention of overclocking it, but over the course of a week the fan has
started to make noises and is now sounding like someone's moving the lawn
inside

It started off last Saturday just making grinding noises every so often, then
every 20 mins for a while, then stopped, and right now it's making quick and
intermittent grinding noises.

What makes this even more annoying is that the PC is sat on the desk about
70cm from my left ear, so it sounds like there's a bluebottle constantly to my
side, to give an example of just how annoying it is.

The PC's only 10 months old so is within the 12-month warranty, but I'd rather
not have to call out the engineers if necessary. It was bought from Staples
but the PC is a Medion (brand name Cybercom, but the same company) and
whenever I've had to contact them, one or two have been complete jobsworths
and part of me would rather sort it out myself.

I'm not a heavy games user on the PC (I tend to use an Xbox and PS2 for that,
and leave the PC up to usual PC tasks), so don't need a high-spec card in
replacement, and I could even get a duplicate of this one for around £30-35
inc. P&P if it's an easier way of dealing with the problem instead of faffing
about with the fan.

If it is just dust in the fan, then I've tried blowing on it and clearly away
dust I can see, but I dread taking the card out of the PC and dealing with the
matter directly like that (I wouldn't worry at all if it wasn't my PC, but I
have a phobia about this kind of thing when it comes to my own)

TIA for any help anyone can give,
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor), http://LeilaniWeb.co.uk (editor),
Old June 27th 04, 11:09 PM
jafar

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:18:36 +0100, Dom Robinson wrote:

I have a PC with WinXP, P2.66Ghz, 512Mb RAM, etc, etc, but it's only the
graphics card that's got a problem.

It's a GeForce4 MX440 128Mb with an MSI fan, and I understand there are some
cards like this that get along without a fan without locking up. I have no
intention of overclocking it, but over the course of a week the fan has
started to make noises and is now sounding like someone's moving the lawn
inside

It started off last Saturday just making grinding noises every so often, then
every 20 mins for a while, then stopped, and right now it's making quick and
intermittent grinding noises.

What makes this even more annoying is that the PC is sat on the desk about
70cm from my left ear, so it sounds like there's a bluebottle constantly to my
side, to give an example of just how annoying it is.

Do you have an old motherboard with a chipset fan? I have a GF2 MX with an
old MSI via chipset fan on it as a replacement

--
Jafar As-Sadiq Calley
Senior 1st Officer

Old June 27th 04, 11:29 PM
Dom Robinson

In article ,
says...
[...]

I have an old PC with an ATI card but the fan always looked like it couldn't
be taken off, and I don't know if it would fit this one.

Are the fans on my current card easy to remove/replace?

TIA,
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/*
Old June 28th 04, 04:38 AM
Bob Byrne

Dom Robinson wrote:

Just an additional. I realised the card I was looking at for that price was
64Mb not 128Mb. D'oh.

Check to see if it has a fan.
I have a spare ASUS V8170 GF4 MX440 SE 64Mb DDR and it doesn't have a fan
just a large aluminium heat sink held on with two plastic press studs.
Maybe your 128Mb card can get by with a large heat sink.
I also replaced my GF3 Ti500 fan with a Vantec and it should fit your 440.
Check the VGA Card - CCB-A4C pop-up link on this page:
http://www.vantecusa.com/product-cooling.html

And here's a direct link: http://www.vantecusa.com/p_ccb_a4c.html

--
Regards, Bob

Old June 28th 04, 08:01 AM
jafar

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 23:29:00 +0100, Dom Robinson wrote:

I have an old PC with an ATI card but the fan always looked like it couldn't
be taken off, and I don't know if it would fit this one.

Are the fans on my current card easy to remove/replace?

Take a look. It should be just a matter of a few screws. The fan doesn't
have to fit exactly. Before I destroyed my GF4 card fitting a new
heatsink (thats another sad story), I had a badly fitting fan screwed
threw the fins of the heatsink and it seemed to work ok. Having the wrong
fan fitted is better than no fan at all.

Old June 28th 04, 08:26 AM
Steven K

"Dom Robinson" wrote in message
[...]

It's a matter of a drop oil - remove the fan and peel off the centre label
(bottom side). 1 drop oil on the bearing, seal the label and it will run
another 12 month.

Old June 28th 04, 09:21 AM
Dom Robinson

In article ,
says...
[...]

Any particular type of oil? And are there any graphics cards that have fans
which run for 3 years, say, WITHOUT ever making a noise? TIA,
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/*
http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor), http://LeilaniWeb.co.uk (editor),
/* 992 DVDs, 293 games, 33 videos, 87 cinema films, 77 CDs, concerts & news
/* lost in translation, driv3r, red hot chili peppers, sex lives of potato men
Old June 28th 04, 09:26 AM
Dom Robinson

In article t,
says...
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 23:29:00 +0100, Dom Robinson wrote:

I have an old PC with an ATI card but the fan always looked like it couldn't
be taken off, and I don't know if it would fit this one.

Are the fans on my current card easy to remove/replace?

Take a look. It should be just a matter of a few screws. The fan doesn't
have to fit exactly. Before I destroyed my GF4 card fitting a new
heatsink (thats another sad story), I had a badly fitting fan screwed
threw the fins of the heatsink and it seemed to work ok. Having the wrong
fan fitted is better than no fan at all.

Looks like there are only two screws at diagonally-opposite corners.

As I type, it seems to alter between making the same racket and calming down.

A few years back I had a fan on a Pentium I CPU which was making a racket. I
bought a new fan, stuck it under the desk for a couple of days while I got
round to it, then realised as time went on that it wasn't making any kind of a
racket. Best £5 I ever spent

Old June 28th 04, 11:40 PM
Steven K

"Dom Robinson" wrote in message

It's a matter of a drop oil - remove the fan and peel off the centre
label (bottom side). 1 drop oil on the bearing, seal the label and it
will run another 12 month.

Any particular type of oil? And are there any graphics cards that have
fans which run for 3 years, say, WITHOUT ever making a noise? TIA,

Take sewing machine oil or similar - will work just fine!
Nope, u won't find any card manufacturer using (real) quality fans - fans
are just meant to grind after some time, since even the fan manufacturers
don't bother to lubricate their bearings.