Can I unplug the Video card fan?

Old November 29th 03, 04:57 AM
Van Nastring

Default Can I unplug the Video card fan?

Is it safe to unplug it for a couple minutes so I can see if that is where
all the noise is coming from?
I have an MSI Ti4200 128MB AGP 8X

Old November 29th 03, 05:06 AM
)-()-(

Van Nastring wrote:

Is it safe to unplug it for a couple minutes so I can see if that is where
all the noise is coming from?
I have an MSI Ti4200 128MB AGP 8X

I have a 4200 also, and I think it would probably be OK for 10 to 20 seconds.

Old November 29th 03, 05:40 AM
PRIVATE1964

It will be alright for a while. If the card died without the fan then
there would be a lot of problems. Fans die how would you know it with the case
closed?
The card won't run very well without the fan though and it will probably
shorten its life if you did it all the time. The card also doesn't create as
much heat when its idle. So your not gonna hurt anything having the fan off for
a few minutes.

Old November 29th 03, 09:36 AM
J.Clarke

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 12:57:41 -0500
Navin R. Johnson wrote:

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:57:20 -0500, "Van Nastring"
wrote:

Is it safe to unplug it for a couple minutes so I can see if that is
where all the noise is coming from?
I have an MSI Ti4200 128MB AGP 8X

Why don't you just stick your finger on it while it's running?

Press your finger against the hub until it stalls.

It
won't cut you or shock you. Also, a noisy or slow fan can sometimes be
fixed with a drop of 3in1 oil. Just remove the sticker from the
underside of the fan and the rubber stopper, if there is one, then put
one small drop of oil on the sleeve bearing. Have fun.

NRJ

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old November 29th 03, 12:22 PM
Max

Buy a zalman zm80c-hp and throw your fan in the trash.
I already did it....

Old November 29th 03, 02:36 PM
Bluebird

"Van Nastring" wrote in message ...
Is it safe to unplug it for a couple minutes so I can see if that is where
all the noise is coming from?
I have an MSI Ti4200 128MB AGP 8X

It would be okay for a while, just don't run any 3D application or
game which will heat up your card.
Old November 29th 03, 06:57 PM
Navin R. Johnson

wrote:

Is it safe to unplug it for a couple minutes so I can see if that is where
all the noise is coming from?
I have an MSI Ti4200 128MB AGP 8X

Why don't you just stick your finger on it while it's running? It won't

Old November 29th 03, 08:12 PM
Van Nastring

I can stop the fan while its running? The motor won't burn out? Also that
ZALMAN is just a massive heat sink? That thing looks huge, how many pci
slots does it cover up? How much is it? I also don't know how to unplug
the fan, it looks like a little plug, but it own't come off

Old November 29th 03, 08:46 PM
Max

if you stop the fan for one second or two nothing happens, I did it lot of
times for test.
Zalman is a total passive solution, it covers only one pci slot
it costs about 30$ and I employ about 1hr to setup all.
The instructions are very simple, but it takes lot of patience to install
all.

Old November 29th 03, 09:18 PM
Van Nastring

What if I get a new video card, say a 9700 or 9600, does the heat sink still
be applied to those cards?