Which GeForce4 Ti 4200?

Old October 29th 03, 06:49 PM
jeffc

Default Which GeForce4 Ti 4200?

Thanks to suggestions I've done my research and decided on the subject chip
for my needs and budget, probably with 128M. Now, which
brand/version/bundle? I'm usually of the opinion that the very cheapest
brand can sometimes be the most expensive in the long run. Anyway, I've
heard the Gainward board ships with a nice utility that allows setting the
clock higher, etc. What brand is good? Which flavor? What game bundles if
any? thanks again.

Old October 29th 03, 09:10 PM
Lee

Old October 29th 03, 09:51 PM
jeffc

news
nice article for ya at tomshardware.com
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...714/index.html

That's a cool article, thanks, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to include
the 4200.

Old October 30th 03, 12:55 AM
Granulated

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 13:49:14 -0500 "jeffc" meeped :

Thanks to suggestions I've done my research and decided on the subject chip
for my needs and budget, probably with 128M. Now, which
brand/version/bundle? I'm usually of the opinion that the very cheapest
brand can sometimes be the most expensive in the long run. Anyway, I've
heard the Gainward board ships with a nice utility that allows setting the
clock higher, etc. What brand is good? Which flavor? What game bundles if
any? thanks again.

i got the msi 4200 8x vivo

goodish games bundle (ghost recon is great)
Old October 30th 03, 06:49 AM
BigFNDeal

As you can see I have the MSI card also. I love it. The bundle is great, I
have a CRT and a TV running in clone mode. I play Ghost Recon all the time,
it's a great bundle and a rock solid card. Just don't try to o/c it too
hard, the settings I have are the highest I can get to w/o any loss of
integrity in the Nature scenes of 3dMark2001SE.

--
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0 Demoulous Uber Bios 1007
Athlon XP 1700+ T'bred B @ 2.02GHz (12x168)

Old October 30th 03, 10:31 AM
Darthy

wrote:

Thanks to suggestions I've done my research and decided on the subject chip
for my needs and budget, probably with 128M. Now, which
brand/version/bundle? I'm usually of the opinion that the very cheapest
brand can sometimes be the most expensive in the long run. Anyway, I've
heard the Gainward board ships with a nice utility that allows setting the
clock higher, etc. What brand is good? Which flavor? What game bundles if
any? thanks again.

MSI Brand - 64mb version.... HANDS DOWN.

Now, the one I bought from LAST year uses the original GF4 cooling
system.... it included a game bundle (8CD ROMS) and cost me about
$150.

My friend bought the new MSI-4200-64mb, which includes the more
advanced and modern GF-5-5600 cooling that makes even LESS noise. (It
has a single air outlet. But at $80, it did not include the game
bundle anymore... I'd take the cheaper version

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old October 30th 03, 03:07 PM
jeffc

wrote:

Thanks to suggestions I've done my research and decided on the subject

chip
for my needs and budget, probably with 128M. Now, which
brand/version/bundle? I'm usually of the opinion that the very cheapest
brand can sometimes be the most expensive in the long run. Anyway, I've
heard the Gainward board ships with a nice utility that allows setting

the
clock higher, etc. What brand is good? Which flavor? What game bundles

if
any? thanks again.

MSI Brand - 64mb version.... HANDS DOWN.

OK - why do you say 64M as opposed to, say, 128M? thanks

Old October 30th 03, 11:25 PM
PRIVATE1964

I had an MSI 4200 128 and I was not impressed. I read all these reviews
about how good it was so I bought one. I couldn't even overclock it close to
what was in the reviews. Now I have an Albatron 4200 128 and even it doesn't
perform close to what was in some reviews but it still overclocks better then
the MSI.

Its a 4680 Turbo, which is a 4200-8X. I have it running at 325/650 totally
stable. It uses 3.3 ram and the pcb board follows the specs for the 4600 so it
can run more stable at faster speeds. The GPU cooler is also well made and
cools pretty good.

Albatron gets my vote.
Old October 30th 03, 11:29 PM
PRIVATE1964

OK - why do you say 64M as opposed to, say, 128M? thanks

He says that because the 64M version uses faster ram and can overclock more
then the 128 version. It also beats the 128 version in a lot of tests because
of the faster ram.

The 128 version is better for running very high quality textures but even then
there won't be that much speed improvement over the 64meg version.

Like in Jedi Knight 2 the 128 version would be a little bit faster running the
highest quality textures then the 64 meg version.