FX 5900 ultra poor frame rate?

Old October 13th 03, 04:37 PM
SnowdogJoe

Default FX 5900 ultra poor frame rate?

I have a :
FX 5900 Ultra 256 mb
P4 3.06 ghz
XP1394 Gigabyte MB
My AGP aperture was set to 64 I expanded that to 256 (neither helped)
When I turn on all the option in Halo (1024x768) I am getting about 9 frames
per second. I have to shut off most of the cool graphics to get any thing
that is play able.

Any suggestions are welcome (please), this is killing me grin
(I'll keep reading the news groups to see if I can find something useful)

Old October 13th 03, 06:51 PM
Manicobluč

Any suggestions are welcome (please), this is killing me grin
(I'll keep reading the news groups to see if I can find something useful)

Hi Joe, if you read a post of mine, some days ago... you'll find
I've got the exact problem, poor frame rate with recent games.
I return back the FX 5900 Ultra, and changed with another FX 5900U,
today it arrived! :-) Now I'm very happy, I found better frame
rate... just to let you know...

With that "buggy" FX 5900 Ultra i've got low frame,
even an FX 5800 ran better :-( so, this is only a part of
two problem I got with this videoboard.

Probably yours' buggy like mine was...
Manicobluč.

Old October 13th 03, 09:48 PM
Simon

Halo works just fine on my PC, at considerably lower spec than yours.

P4 2gig, GeforceFX5800 ultra, 768mb Ram
Running Halo at 1600x1200
I get 30fps+ most of the time, dipping to about 20fps when the action hots
up

Not sure why so many people seem to get such poor performance with this game

Old October 14th 03, 12:45 AM
magnulus

Halo runs really slow, but especially on NVidia hardly. NVidia is working
on a driver due out soon that will increase framerate by at least 70 percent
for Halo.

Are you having any other problems with other games? If not, then I think
it's unlikely you have a bad card.

Old October 14th 03, 01:46 AM
tombraider

if your PC is running under XP try this new beta 52.13 :
http://www.3dchips-fr.com/download/d...hp?Category=10

Luc
Webmaster de Tomb Raider Online
le premier site interactif sur
Tomb Raider et Lara Croft
http://www.tro-online.com

Old October 14th 03, 09:07 AM
Nada

"magnulus" wrote:
Halo runs really slow, but especially on NVidia hardly. NVidia is working
on a driver due out soon that will increase framerate by at least 70 percent
for Halo.

70 percent? Keanu Reeves says, "whoah". Where did you read that?
Old October 14th 03, 01:57 PM
Lasse Lundberg

My AGP aperture was set to 64 I expanded that to 256 (neither helped)
When I turn on all the option in Halo (1024x768) I am getting about 9

frames
per second. I have to shut off most of the cool graphics to get any thing
that is play able.

Any suggestions are welcome (please), this is killing me grin
(I'll keep reading the news groups to see if I can find something useful)

I had a simelar problem with my creative 5900U....do me a favor run dxdiags
and tell me how much it is reporting you have on your vga card.

mine said 128 mb (there is 256) most games ran poorly...returned the card,
and got a new one same problem...installed 51.75 and problem is fixed
dxdiags now repports 256 mb and now with 52.13 the driver is more stable and
tv out works again.

unfortunatly Jediknight academy looks like hell with 52.13 all maps with fog
in is all ****ed up, too bad when u jyst spent 40$ on it :-( back to 44.03
and jedi is playable again)

my first card wouldnt show intro movies in certain games, and in the nvidia
vulcan demo it wouldnt show the flames on the dude nor the star he is
chasing ??!!??!?

genrally im quite disappointed with the card....i remember when i got my
ti4200 it was great, and i loved it. the 5900U is anoying me, it is supposed
to run games with fsaa, and aniso on but when i do that most games slows
down to unplayable.

Lasse

Old October 14th 03, 03:54 PM
Lenny

Keanu Reeves says, "whoah".

Things that make you go 'hmmm':
Why do people always quote Keanu Reeves as saying "whoah" when they quote
him?

Old October 14th 03, 04:17 PM
magnulus

"Nada" wrote in message
om...
70 percent? Keanu Reeves says, "whoah". Where did you read that?

I think it was Anandtech. The Halo performance has increased alot
(although it's still piggish), so has Aquamark 3 and every other game. The
only ones that the ATI card is clearly faster are Tron 2.0 and Tomb Raider
(and even Tron 2.0 run acceptably smooth on my machine).

I tried the 52.13's, and there's a real performance boost in all the DX
8/DX 9 games that have shaders. The only problem is that the driver will
cause some cards to overheat and trip the thermal sensor because the fan
stops. No problems so far with mine, though. The 52.14's should be out
soon.

Old October 14th 03, 04:19 PM
magnulus

I have a Geforce FX 5900 and antialiasing works in most games just fine,
even Tron 2.0. I run my monitor at 1280X1024 (LCD), and I use Quincunx and
it's fast enough even in newer games. The only game that really sucks is
Halo, and that's just a badly written game.