52.16 breaks TV out and overlay...again!

Old October 30th 03, 11:11 AM
Larry L.

Default 52.16 breaks TV out and overlay...again!

The TV out has literally NEVER "fully" worked with nvidia cards -- never.
Every single driver release has at least something wrong with the TV out
features. The issues are never "deal breakers," but they're always
annoying. The really frustrating thing the way the instant one problem is
fixed by a new driver, a new problem pops up. The most recent issue I've
had is the "digital vibrance" refusing to stay OFF even when telling the
drivers to leave it off.

I agree that it seems like nvidia barely gives any thought to the TV out
features. It's obvious that they don't do any serious testing since these
issues take numerous releases to be addressed.

Larry

"DVDyke" wrote in message
One other thing. desktop clone looks fine. It's just overlay playback.
Yes I have tried the various resize options just in case you think I
am clueless

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:14:09 +0000, DVDyke
wrote:

It seems that everytime they update the drivers they break something
in the TV and/or overlay.

Previous drivers like 44.67 resulted in a blank screen when trying to
playback videos on TV out using overlay mode.

They fixed that by 45.23 whql but they still had the bug whereby if
anti-flicker was set to 0 the clone mode would produce a corrupted
image (Jaggies on lines). This was easy to sort out by moving
anti-flicker up 1 notch.

Now in 52.16 they have completely messed up overlay. Fullscreen
playback of video using overlay on TV out results in an image squeezed
from the sides with black pillar boxes either side of the image. This
happens on widescreen or 4:3 material.

Since there is no true option to select whether you have a widescreen
TV or a 4:3 TV in the drivers (Unlike the Matrox cards which do) you
have to compensate using your video playback application. In this
instance I use Zoom Player and set aspect at anamorphic to playback
4:3 material correctly on TV out to a widescreen TV in widescreen mode
or leave at fullscreen aspect and switch the TV to 4:3 mode. For
widescreen material I just leave the aspect in Zoom Player at
fullscreen and widescreen mode on the TV.

However in the 52.16 drivers this is completely messed up.

With the TV set to widescreen mode. If I playback either widescreen or
4:3 videos it displays as a 14:9 image on the TV. If I set the TV to
4:3 mode it displays as a 3:3 image.

I don't know what they did but these drivers are completely messed up.

They spend so much time trying to get faster 3D that they ALWAYS
forget to check TV out and overlay is working correctly.

Old October 31st 03, 01:58 AM
Someguy

The other annoying thing is that whilst you can zoom and position the
TV out image for overscan compensation you cannot stretch the
horizontal and vertical independently. So you may get the sideways
overscan just right and find the image top and bottom you still have a
little black bar etc.

I agree on the above posts... theres's always SOMETHING wrong with each
driver release.. On my card, the brightness settings for TVout is always
unpredictable. Sometimes its brighter than other times, and adjusting it is
hopeless... you go to adjust it, and as soon as you touch the slider the
brightness jumps right up.. then you go play it and it jumps back down
again.

Very very broken.

Old October 31st 03, 01:21 PM
Larry L.

I think nvidia got lazy from being the top dog for so long. On top of this,
once they started getting some real competition, they just put too little
effort into the non-3D aspects of their cards.

Larry

Old November 4th 03, 07:17 AM
Larry L.

Having made those complaints, I just tried the 52.16's and they actually
seem to have eliminated the problems I was having previously. I haven't
played with them that much, but so far so good. If these DO finally work
properly, then my apologies to nvidia (although it's been a LONG time
coming.)

Larry

Old November 4th 03, 07:07 PM
Karlheinz Graf

that's right, but the overlay problem on secondary device (PAL) exists in
52.16 and not on 45.23/33!

Old November 5th 03, 10:53 PM
Larry L.

I apparently just got lucky on this release -- i.e. the "new" problem that
they introduced with this driver just happens to be something that doesn't
effect me (since I use NTSC.) I just wish they'd stop breaking something
every time they fix something else.

Larry

Old November 28th 03, 12:21 PM
Hamsterizer

(ive posted this message as a seperate thread, but i thought id bump this
too, in case anyone is still watching it, as it seems related)

howdy,

i have a Siluro Ti4600 GeForce 4, running on XP. I recently tried to setup a
2nd TV monitor in order to do video editing. Using the old detonator drivers
i was able to get it setup so that video playing back from Windows Media
Player played fullscreen on the TV whilst my monitor maintained its normal
desktop.

great i thought, i bet this works even better with the latest drivers
(especially as they include increased support for duel monitors!)

no combination will now reproduce what i had going under the old detonator
drivers - clone view doesnt seem to work when the XP settings view both as
monitor 1 (ie when u click identify) and if u get it to recognise them as 1
and 2, the forceware drivers set to duelview. i cant get the full screen
viedo overlay to work at all on the tv.

help!

(i can provide more details if needed)

--