Hardcore gamer is little upset.

Old December 24th 04, 03:31 PM
daytripper

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 08:20:47 -0400, "pedro itriago"
wrote:

"daytripper" wrote in message
.. .
Finally, consider that at least one company has already announced a
dual-engine graphics adapter - an SLI-like beast on a single card. A PCI
Express card. They'll likely solve the power problem by using an internal
power cable connector. And users will be fragging your weak AGP ass all

over
the gaming world. Enjoy ;-)

/daytripper

As I said before, the pci express cards made today still do not take full
advantage of...

And you still don't understand why your comment is a non-sequitur...

Old December 24th 04, 04:47 PM
pedro itriago

Maybe I should translate it to you then. If you want to see a big performance difference between an AGP card and a pci express card, you still have to wait a while.

The funniest thing is that is exactly the same thing you're saying. Do I have to re quote you?, he "Finally, consider that at least one company has already announced a dual-engine graphics adapter - an SLI-like beast on a single card."

Old December 24th 04, 06:36 PM
daytripper

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 12:47:42 -0400, "pedro itriago"
wrote:

Maybe I should translate it to you then. If you want to see a big performance difference between an AGP card and a pci express card, you still have to wait a while.

The funniest thing is that is exactly the same thing you're saying. Do I have to re quote you?, he "Finally, consider that at least one company has already announced a dual-engine graphics adapter - an SLI-like beast on a single card."

One, that piece of crap newsreader your using isn't wrapping your posts
properly. Consider fixing it.

And two, you still don't get it...

/daytripper
Old December 24th 04, 07:03 PM
pedro itriago

"daytripper" wrote in message
news

One, that piece of crap newsreader your using isn't wrapping your posts
properly. Consider fixing it.

Mine works perfecly, perhaps it's you who has to fix yours

And two, you still don't get it...

Actually, I got it some posts ago

Old December 24th 04, 08:21 PM
BobS

wrote:

Maybe I should translate it to you then. If you want to see a big
performance difference between an AGP card and a pci express card, you
still have to wait a while.

The funniest thing is that is exactly the same thing you're saying. Do I
have to re quote you?, he "Finally, consider that at least one company
has already announced a dual-engine graphics adapter - an SLI-like beast
on a single card."

One, that piece of crap newsreader your using isn't wrapping your posts
properly. Consider fixing it.

And two, you still don't get it...

/daytripper

Pedro is using Outlook Express, as I am, and it word wraps perfectly here as
well.

Old December 24th 04, 11:31 PM
Robert Hancock

Ryan Atici wrote:
When you use high-end AGP video card, you don't need to resort to SLI
scheme, which is designed for PCI-Express video cards.

SLI is created because single PCI-Express video card is not as good as a
high-end AGP video card(period).

This is simply wrong.

That's why the motherboard
manufacturers think that pairing 2 PCI-Express video cards might allure
*some* gamers into buying PCI-Express video cards. This is all about
alluring people into buying 2 inferior video cards to create bigger
sale. They had to create a motherboard to pair up 2 PCI-Express video
cards to compete against 1 high-end AGP video card by itself. Don't you
get it? This is all about suckering people into buying PCI-Express video
cards in order to create a new market for the new product when indeed
new product is failed to compete against an "old" AGP video card
technology *for the time being*.

You are aware that an SLI setup with 2 PCI Express cards can deliver far
higher performance than a single AGP card?

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from
Old December 26th 04, 03:26 AM
Jose M. Arnesto

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 04:04:11 -0500, (Paul) wrote:

In article , "Ryan Atici"
wrote:

The PCI-Express might be the future technology to replace AGP video card
slot in the future. Having said that, PCI-Express doesn't offer any
advantage or improvement at this moment in time over AGP video cards for
now. Maybe six months or a year from now, the new technology will fully take
advantage of the new PCI-Express video card and make the PCI-Express video
cards superior over AGP video cards, but for now, that's not the case.

[..]

Tomshardware has some video charts for the latest PCI Express cards.
You can compare them to the AGP charts:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...222/index.html (PCI-E)
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...004/index.html (AGP)

Compare "Far Cry" benchmarks:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...charts-07.html
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...charts-09.html

The AGP X800 XT PE does 91.6 FPS (R420 520/1120 256-bit 16x1)
The PCI-E X800 XT PE does 111.0 FPS (R423 256MB 520/1120 256-bit 16)

The AGP 6800U does 86.0 FPS (NV40 400/1100 256-bit 16x1)
The PCI-E 6800U does 102.9 FPS (NV45 256MB 400/1100 256-bit 16)
2x6800U SLI (PCI-E) does 135.2 FPS

The ATI cards don't use a separate PCI-E bridge chip, the
way that the Nvidia cards do. But the benchmark above suggests
the same speedup when comparing AGP to PCI-E version of the same
card. (Roughly 21% or so, give or take.)
[..]

Next time you compare benchmarks, try to be at least a bit
fair. Those tests you are comparing (20041222 and 20041004) are using
different driver versions, different kind of memory and *one of them
is using an Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz and the other one an AMD Athlon64
4000+ *!!

If the test configurations had been the same, I would expect
both results (AGP vs PCIe) to be roughly equal.

Kind regards.
--
Jose M. Arnesto
j[insert my surname