Athlon XP Mobile Question - What motherboard?

Old August 10th 04, 06:10 AM
Post Replies Here Please

Default Athlon XP Mobile Question - What motherboard?

Does this CPU require a special motherboard? Will any decent athlon
motherboard work okay. I have micro atx asrock motherboard.

Motherboard:

ASRock "K7S41GX" SiS741GX Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU

Would I need a motherboard upgrade?

Thanks,

Alan
Old August 10th 04, 06:41 AM
BigBadger

You need a board that has multiplier manual control.
Mobiles default to 6x multiplier on desktop boards, so you need to be able
to override it to something higher.

Old August 10th 04, 10:06 AM
Morgan

So if my board only goes to 12.5x with an unlocked Barton in it now I
would have the same settings with a XP-M chip?
thnx, Ed

I have read that the multiplier on a mobile CPU goes up to 14x. I am not
sure if that is correct or not, mine is running at 12.5x and I have tried
13x and that works as well. Providing that there is no board limitation,
with the multiplier, I can't see a reason why it shouldn't go up to 14x -
with the understanding of what I read being correct.

My mobile CPU is the XP2600.

--
Regards

Morgan

Hard drive noisy....
www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

Old August 10th 04, 11:33 AM
Michael Brown

Ed wrote:
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 06:41:52 +0100, "BigBadger"
wrote:

You need a board that has multiplier manual control.
Mobiles default to 6x multiplier on desktop boards, so you need to
be able to override it to something higher.

So if my board only goes to 12.5x with an unlocked Barton in it now I
would have the same settings with a XP-M chip?
thnx, Ed

Yes.

There's nothing stopping you modifying the chip (either your unlocked Barton
or the mobile) to get get higher multipliers however

You can also use any of the various PowerNow multiplier changers (if your
board is not an nForce1/2) to change the multiplier in Windows. You'll need
to fill in the second L5 to get access to multipliers above the default
maximum.

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more

Old August 10th 04, 05:35 PM
OCZ Guy

My Abit NF7-S 2.0 runs my Mobile 2500 at 2.5ghz stable as, at mem
timings of 2.2.3.5 at 200mhz FSB

Iam pretty happy with that, though will try to go higher as soon as i
get some more info on the subject iam trying for 2.7ghz, air cooled
maybe more water cooled 3.0 ghz would be FANTASTIC, though prob at
lower memory timings

Hope this helps.

wrote:

You need a board that has multiplier manual control.
Mobiles default to 6x multiplier on desktop boards, so you need to
be able to override it to something higher.

So if my board only goes to 12.5x with an unlocked Barton in it now I
would have the same settings with a XP-M chip?
thnx, Ed

Yes.

There's nothing stopping you modifying the chip (either your unlocked Barton
or the mobile) to get get higher multipliers however

You can also use any of the various PowerNow multiplier changers (if your
board is not an nForce1/2) to change the multiplier in Windows. You'll need
to fill in the second L5 to get access to multipliers above the default
maximum.

HELLO NURSE.
Old August 13th 04, 01:33 AM
Ed Light

"Michael Brown"

You can also use any of the various PowerNow multiplier changers (if your
board is not an nForce1/2) to change the multiplier in Windows. You'll

need
to fill in the second L5 to get access to multipliers above the default
maximum.

Can't find them on Google. Do you have the url's?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old August 15th 04, 03:09 AM
Michael Brown

Ed Light wrote:
"Michael Brown"

You can also use any of the various PowerNow multiplier changers (if
your board is not an nForce1/2) to change the multiplier in Windows.
You'll need to fill in the second L5 to get access to multipliers
above the default maximum.

Can't find them on Google. Do you have the url's?

CrystalCPUID
http://crystalmark.info/

CPUMSR:
http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/CPUMSR_main.htm

K7DFID:
http://www.emboss.co.nz/k7d/download...K7DFID.0.1.zip
http://www.emboss.co.nz/k7d/download...7DFID.0.12.zip
(I forgot to include the driver in the 0.12 zipfile ... oops )

I'm pretty cure there's other ones out there too. The success rate of each
varies a lot. Some may be able to change from one multi to another and
another one may not. It's pretty much luck of the draw

Old August 15th 04, 07:50 AM
Ed Light

Lovely!

"Michael Brown" wrote

Old August 15th 04, 09:38 PM
BiPolar

"Ed Light" wrote in message news:fJDTc.7356$yh.3787@fed1read05...
Lovely!

"Michael Brown" wrote

CrystalCPUID
http://crystalmark.info/

CPUMSR:
http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/CPUMSR_main.htm

K7DFID:
http://www.emboss.co.nz/k7d/download...K7DFID.0.1.zip
http://www.emboss.co.nz/k7d/download...7DFID.0.12.zip
(I forgot to include the driver in the 0.12 zipfile ... oops )

HOwever, it is better to raise your FSB than your multiple.
Old August 16th 04, 12:33 AM
Ed Light

"BiPolar" wrote
HOwever, it is better to raise your FSB than your multiple.

Because you're speeding "everything" up?
I've just got Corsair Value Select memory. I don't think it can take it.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Compatibility question, Mobile Athlon XP 2400+ and Albatron motherboard Y2Bogus AMD x86-64 Processors 0 September 19th 04 10:53 PM
Asus A7333 Motherboard - Bios Question Jonh Hellingsworth General 2 July 26th 04 11:23 PM
OC old mobile Athlon?? TANKIE General 2 June 27th 04 08:54 AM
XP 2500+ Mobile CPU follow up question. pberry Overclocking AMD Processors 7 May 1st 04 11:47 AM
Motherboard FSB - Newbie Question mac General 1 August 2nd 03 03:16 AM