CPU-Z Can't Decide What My FSB Is...

Old June 9th 06, 03:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default CPU-Z Can't Decide What My FSB Is...

Check out these 2 screen captures, from the same instance of CPU-Z:

14: http://tinyurl.com/fbafb

16: http://tinyurl.com/eq2lv

The FSB keeps vacillating between 14 and 16 and the CPU speed gets
recomputed every time.

The BIOS clearly indicates a P4 3.2 w/HT and Soft Sandra indicates
same.

Has anyone seen this behavior in CPU-Z before?

A_C

Old June 9th 06, 05:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

I don't know much about that particular model of Pentium 4 but I do know
they run hot. I wonder if it is adjusting the clock speed of the cpu based
on heat and system demand, like a mobile Pentium 4 does.

Old June 9th 06, 09:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

If this is a prescott core, check in your bios for something like
enhanced c1 state or something like that.

I think it might be related to speedstep which modulates vcore as
necessary.

If you disable the c1 and or speedstep, this should go away.

Al

Old June 11th 06, 01:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Agent_C" wrote in message...
Check out these 2 screen captures, from the same instance of CPU-Z:

The FSB keeps vacillating between 14 and 16

No, that's the multiplier that's changing. The FSB speed in the two
screenshots you've taken is pretty much constant at 200MHz.

and the CPU speed gets recomputed every time.

The BIOS clearly indicates a P4 3.2 w/HT and Soft Sandra indicates
same.

Has anyone seen this behavior in CPU-Z before?

Yes, when looking at Intel CPU's with TM1 and TM2 thermal throttling. You
seem to have started this thread on the basis that CPU-Z is telling you
porkies. It isn't, the CPU is dynamically dropping its multiplier and the
reportage you're seeing is correct.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Old June 12th 06, 08:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 13:13:43 +0100, "Richard Hopkins"
wrote:

Yes, when looking at Intel CPU's with TM1 and TM2 thermal throttling. You
seem to have started this thread on the basis that CPU-Z is telling you
porkies. It isn't, the CPU is dynamically dropping its multiplier and the
reportage you're seeing is correct.

The odd thing is, it vacillates from one second to the next, under
seemingly zero load. Nothing running other than CPU-Z... 74` ambient
room temperature. If I'd seen the multiplier throttling back while
doing multimedia rendering, with the CPU at 100% this might look
normal; but it just doesn't.

It's an HP OEM machine, with practically nothing to adjust in the
BIOS.

ATC; think I'll make some college kid the deal of a lifetime on eBay
and build that dual core machine I've been obsessing about.

How does this complement sound (no comments about the SCSI, please):

Abit AW8 Motherboard
Intel PD 950 3.4GHz Dual Core CPU
1 GB Kingston HyperX PC6400 DDR2 800mhz RAM
ATI Radion All-In-Wonder 9800 Video card
Adaptec 19160 SCSI controller
FUJITSU 73.5GB 15,000 RPM U320 SCSI drive
Nexus Breeze 400 ultra quiet case

Cheers,

A_C

Old June 12th 06, 09:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

What are the reported CPU temperatures? Throttling happens directly because
of temperature. CPU load is the main factor in CPU temperature, but an
incorrectly installed heatsink, among other causes, could put a CPU
teetering on the edge of throttling at idle.

I'd suggest putting off building a new system until you get this problem
sorted.

Phil Weldon.

Old June 12th 06, 11:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 20:20:20 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
wrote:

What are the reported CPU temperatures? Throttling happens directly because
of temperature. CPU load is the main factor in CPU temperature, but an
incorrectly installed heatsink, among other causes, could put a CPU
teetering on the edge of throttling at idle.

The hardware monitor in the BIOS reports 42c. The CPU fan is one of
those 120mm silent types, running at 1800 rpm.

I'd suggest putting off building a new system until you get this problem
sorted.

Good suggestion, but I'm not sure I have that kind of impulse control.

Thanks,

A_C

Old June 13th 06, 12:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

'Agent_C' wrote:
| The hardware monitor in the BIOS reports 42c. The CPU fan is one of
| those 120mm silent types, running at 1800 rpm.
|
| I'd suggest putting off building a new system until you get this problem
| sorted.
|
| Good suggestion, but I'm not sure I have that kind of impulse control.

The hardware monitor in the BIOS is not very useful. It reports the
temperature of the CPU just after the system has been turned on or
restarted, when the CPU is doing nothing but waiting while you read the
temperature.

Oh, by the way, I just noticed. YOU don't need to add '' to your
replies - your newsreader should do that for the initial reply; after that
it more aren't needed.
Unless, of course, you are Aretha Franklin B^)

Phil Weldon