Dell's Sorry History of Microphone/Soundcard Issue (Update)

Old November 20th 05, 11:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

Default Dell's Sorry History of Microphone/Soundcard Issue (Update)

Class_Action wrote:

"Tom Scales" wrote:

I didn't lose the bet. The example was not the appropriate mic. Case
closed.

No response to this. Why don't you help out?

snip

Yeah, Tom. Help out.

After all, isn't that what you're getting paid for? g

Notan
Old November 20th 05, 11:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

"Tom Scales" screamed again:

"Class_Action" classactionlaw1 AT yahoo DOT com wrote:

For the powered mic, get a load of what Tom Scales "bet" and
compare that with what he screamed today:

---------------------------------
(Tom Scales)
I'd be willing to bet the price of the [powered Radio Shack]
mic that it fixes the problem.

Mic recording low
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf... =205621#M848

I have a powered mic plugged in to the sound card, a Radio Shack
model. Since my last post I also discovered the Ymf-diag.exe from
the knowledge base, downloaded and ran it. I get exactly the same
results as from running MS sound recorder; very low output either
directly or if I saved a wave file and played it back.

On the sound recorder modulation line there is no apparent
modulation unless I have the mic touching my lips.
---------------------------------

(No screaming from Tom Scales to the above)

I didn't lose the bet. The example was not the appropriate mic. Case
closed.

Care to bet with this poster?

Low Mic Volume? (10/29/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=61754

I have read several posts about the low mic volume on Dimension
Desktops with the Soundblaster 24k Sound Card but unfortunately I
haven't found any of them with a solution. Is there to date a
solution for this?

I bought my pc for the purpose of Voice chatting that I use for
business purposes on a daily basis and would really appreciate
any fix for this.

Old November 21st 05, 04:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

I can attest to this. I have a 9100 with Audigy 2 ZS, and I too have to
SCREAM with the mic to my mouth to hear myself. I KNOW about computers, and
build them, so I know what I am doing. I put my RETAIL SB Audigy 2 ZS in
the system, and the MIC input is FINE! How do you explain that?

I contacted DELL, and of course, they sent a guy over with a new sound
card -- NO DIFFERENCE, and I even demonstrated the difference with the DELL
Audigy and my retail Audigy 2, - made 2 files in Adobe Audition and showed
the tech the noticeable difference in the wav representations, and he
commented on it.

Before he even got started I told him this was all a waste of time, and when
he was done, he basically agreed with me. Next step will be a motherboard
replacement, but I am not even going to bother. I've gone through too many
stupid unrelated things for DELL to appease them, but I'm not going to do it
anymore. They system is fine with my retail card, and I will leave it in.

"kony" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:49:47 -0700, Class_Action
wrote:

Here are the selected compilations of Dell microphone/soundcard issue
posted in the Dell Dimension audio forum. Note that the problem was
reported from the very beginning of the forum establishment in late
1999 and continuing to this day. It makes you wonder if Dell ever
made functioning mic/soundcard.

So you think the vast majority of Dell owners are only
imagining that they hear their mic and soundcard working
fine? LOL.

Old November 21st 05, 07:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 23:39:30 -0500, "Guess Who"
wrote:

I can attest to this. I have a 9100 with Audigy 2 ZS, and I too have to
SCREAM with the mic to my mouth to hear myself. I KNOW about computers, and
build them, so I know what I am doing. I put my RETAIL SB Audigy 2 ZS in
the system, and the MIC input is FINE! How do you explain that?

If you can't figure out why the mic volume is low and
continue on talking with Dell about motherboard replacement,
I suggest that you do not know what you are doing in this
case. Very basic tools like a multimeter would go a long
way towards troubleshooting this.

If they are exactly the same card, AND you did not reinstall
or change any driver settings, AND WIndows did not re-PNP
the card, but just continued running as if the card had not
changed, AND you made no changes, just started recording,
(and I haven't left out some other detail- so far I have
only spend a few minutes on it, the system is not here) it
is an audio card malfunction. If any of the above was not
true, there are still those issues to examine. This is a
clear-cut process of elimination.

I contacted DELL, and of course, they sent a guy over with a new sound
card -- NO DIFFERENCE, and I even demonstrated the difference with the DELL
Audigy and my retail Audigy 2, - made 2 files in Adobe Audition and showed
the tech the noticeable difference in the wav representations, and he
commented on it.

Where all three cards exactly alike, visually? Same PCB,
etc?

Before he even got started I told him this was all a waste of time, and when
he was done, he basically agreed with me. Next step will be a motherboard
replacement, but I am not even going to bother. I've gone through too many
stupid unrelated things for DELL to appease them, but I'm not going to do it
anymore. They system is fine with my retail card, and I will leave it in.

IF all of what you wrote is true, and you haven't left out
any relevant details, there is only one possible
resolution, a different sound card. WHY are you off on a
tangent discussing a motherboard replacement when all you
need is a sound card? No wonder you don't have working
sound, you need to clearly state the resolution to the
problem and if the tech can't see the logic you request
transfer to a supervisor.

Do you not know anyone on earth that has a PC so you can
check this sound card? There is not going to be a situation
where the card completely works except for mic input on one
motherboard, yet the same card's mic magically starts
working on another motherboard. Either the specific card is
bad, or it isn't. Either way, if all you need is mic input,
put down $9 on a sound card and be done with it already.

Old November 21st 05, 09:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

kony wrote:

WHY are you off on a
tangent discussing a motherboard replacement when all you
need is a sound card?

can't get mic to work on Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...ssage.id=57660

Dell tech support called tonight to see if my system now worked
after 3 replacement sound cards and a new motherboard. It doesn't.

Dell "Tech support" has "escalated" my problem with the low mic
input levels and had told me the card will not work with my
system. I don't know if it won't work with all 8400s or that's
just their way to say they don't know.

The Dimension support group called me back today saying it is
obviously a software setting issue since the Audigy is the "best"
card made. I explained their "expert" didn't know what she was
talking about.

No wonder you don't have working
sound, you need to clearly state the resolution to the
problem and if the tech can't see the logic you request
transfer to a supervisor.

WEAK MICROPHONE + AUDIGY 2 PROBLEM - TRY THIS...
(10/13/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...cending&page=3

Well, I just installed my second Audigy 2ZS replacement card (a
refurbished one, according to the package), and not surprisingly
the issue remains exactly the same...

I told the support that another replacment likely wouldn't help,
but what do they care.... He claimed he is not authorized to send
another type of soundcard (and did not want to put me in contact
with someone who was).

Augidy SB ZS microphone problems FIX HERE!!!!
(11/3/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=61369

I'm still having the same issue. The Dell tech support (based in
India I guess) does not reply anymore on email (even though I
politely remind them). I got a reply to call the usual support
phone number and want me to start all over again, as part of the
wearing out strategy.

Old November 21st 05, 11:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

Class_Action wrote:
previous stuff snipped

Regardless of whose problem you think it is, have you tried the Creative
Sound Blaster Audigy unified series Beta driver?

Old November 21st 05, 07:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 02:28:46 -0700, Class_Action
wrote:

kony wrote:

WHY are you off on a
tangent discussing a motherboard replacement when all you
need is a sound card?

can't get mic to work on Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...ssage.id=57660

This is exactly why you don't have a working system, because
you are like dog chasing it's tail instead of SEEING that
you waste you time just constantly linking to same post.

It is not proof of anything, except possibly that someone
typed it. It is not a clear description of the physcial
problem nor resolution. It's a waste of time.
Old November 21st 05, 07:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

"Grumps" wrote:

Class_Action wrote:
previous stuff snipped

Regardless of whose problem you think it is, have you tried the Creative
Sound Blaster Audigy unified series Beta driver?

(Do you now know why you are in this thread?)

What about the Beta driver? Supposing it works, what about other
soundcards?

Supposing the Beta driver works, that is, the cause of the problem is
the soundcard driver, why then Dell has been blaiming the problem on
OS incompatibility and conflict with multimedia part of Windows?

Wonder why then Dell replaced soundcards and motherboard?

Wonder why then Dell blames the problem on software settings?

Why then Dell tech support jerk around customers?

Old November 21st 05, 08:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

kony wrote:

WHY are you off on a
tangent discussing a motherboard replacement when all you
need is a sound card?

can't get mic to work on Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...ssage.id=57660

This is exactly why you don't have a working system, because
you are like dog chasing it's tail instead of SEEING that
you waste you time just constantly linking to same post.

It is not proof of anything, except possibly that someone
typed it. It is not a clear description of the physcial
problem nor resolution. It's a waste of time.

What a troll !!!

LOL.
I can barely hear you, put the mic back in your mouth.