Dell's Sorry History of Microphone/Soundcard Issue

Old October 26th 05, 11:33 PM
Class_Action

Default Dell's Sorry History of Microphone/Soundcard Issue

I don't think Dell has shipped a PC in the last four years that did
not have sound problems.

It is not funny any more and i would love to see some kind of class
action.

No way would you think that DELL would not test the design before
they sell it and that they would keep selling them after it is
known it is defective.

Believe that Class Action Lawsuit is the ONLY remedy open to us.
It's sickening to read about Dell's still jerking around customers.

Dell's Sorry History of Microphone/Soundcard Issue
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...ssage.id=50332

The link ends by Dell starting a new thread and locking it
so no one could reply, they made it a sticky post for two months
(locked) then they removed the sticky status and the post was
dropped back about 20 pages of posts to HIDE it.

Live Value Soundcard: Mic record level too low (1/29/2002)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=21877

I have my Dimension 8200 ,Win ME, Soundblaster Live soundcard for
two months here is my story.

I discovered that using the creative sound recorder I had to put
the record level on max, select +20% gain in the mixer and put the
mic 3 inches from my mouth or else it wouldnt pick up what i said.

so i contacted Dell tech support they advised me to uninstall the
soundcard and reinstall it. I did that and it made no difference.
They told me to uninstall the windows sound recorder and reinstall
it, that made no difference either, they told me to uninstall the
whole of windows multimedia I did that and it made no difference

I'll be anxious to hear a resolution to this as well since I'm
having the same exact problem. I have a Dimension 8100 with
Millenium, the SBLive! Value card

I also hope you find the answer. I too would have liked to use
Netmeeting! I have a 4300 with ME and the same sound card. Same
exact problem. Dell actually sent someone out to install a new
card, no help. I also reinstalled the OS once, drivers twice,
no help.

After trying all the things Dell suggested and that Creative Labs
suggested, Dell sent me out a new soundcard. Didnt make a blind bit
of difference.

Hey !!! This seems to be a DELL age old problem. I have a DImension
4100 with Soundblasterlive 512V and Windows Millenium. I have
exactly the same problems when trying to record.

This system was purchased in fall 2000.... No resolution yet!!! not
a good sign.

Well... technician came and installed new card (same type SB Live
Value! 512V CT4780).... He tried uninstalling, reinstalling drivers
etc.... all the same stuff I have tried before.... still no
better....

I don't want to eat-this microphone!!!! the USB mic on logitech cam
has great pick-up....but tin-like sound for what I want to do. sigh

Yes! PLEASE let me know if they successfully fix that problem
either through replacement or otherwise! They should just recall
that card and give us something that works if it's just a defective
card because it seems there's a good bunch of us with the same
problem!

XPS GEN 4 - Audigy 2 zs Microphone Too Quiet (1/5/2005)
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...ssage.id=55447

I have my mic volume all the way up, the booster on, and its still
way too quiet. I had to practically put the mic in my mouth.

Low Mic Volume on Audigy 2 Zs (2/14/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=55500

I have seen similar problems in the forums without a solution.
Has anyone been able to fix this?

When I plugged a mic into the front panel, the volume is so low
that you have to scream.

I have the same problem with the same computer and the same
soundcard.

SB Audigy 2 ZS GEN4 No sound through microphone (3/11/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=56256

Now a tech is sheduled to come to the house and replace the sound
card. Just what I need a 7 day old system for which I paid extra
for a high end sound card and now I'll have a refurbished one.

As I recall on my Dimension XPST 700r there were issues with that
SB card as well. You would think they could get their act
together.

Confirmed problem with SoundMax integrated audio (5/9/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=57548

I want Dell to fix the problem in my $1500 machine! Now they are
saying it is an O/S incompatibility with the onboard sound and I
should do a PC Restore. Hello? It is still using the system that
shipped with it. XP SP2. If it's incompatible, then this problem
existed from the factory.

A Dell tech wanted to reinstall the multimedia part of xp. When I
asked why, the Dell tech said there's possible conflict. I asked
why then Dell shipped out systems with possible -- known --
conflict.

What's infuriating is Dell techs say they never had calls on
soundcard/microphone problems, but then later they say they had a
couple of calls, like when I asked the Dell tech shortly after the
mumbling.

Saying that there's possible conflict without having dealt with
problem calls meant that Dell knew about the problem before
shipping. Dell techs had to change the weasel, initial "story"
about not having dealt with the problem calls, seeming to give the
impression Dell didn't know about the problem before shipping. But
then that brings up the question: Does Dell test components'
compatibility?

microphone does not work HELP (5/14/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=57668

I just can't believe that I got rammed hard by Dell and didn't even
get a kiss from it !!!

I DARE DELL (5/15/05) [DELETED]
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=57678

I dare anyone from DELL to solve this problem.

Since getting my new system i have correctly connected my
microphone headset to the mic port on the SB card but although
I can hear very well, my voice is very quiet.

Do you know a way to record an outgoing message without "eating"
the microphone?

can't get mic to work on Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS (5/14/05, 6/3/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=57660

After reading through this forum it was interesting to see how many
problems they have with this board, yet each support tech acts like
it never happened before. They teach Acting 101 at tech school.

can't get mic to work on Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS (6/14/05)
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...ssage.id=58450

It sure isn't yours. It's Dell's problem. It's Dell's
responsibility to fix. Dell put together the configuration. Dell
should have tested it. Dell should have known about the problem.
Again, why the "never heard of" charade even now -- after many
problem reports for a long time!!

Anyone know a good lawyer that likes to do consumer class action
suits?

There are currently two class action lawsuits:

http://www.seegerweiss.com/
http://www.lerachlaw.com/

Is there a fix for Dell's low mic problem? (7/16/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=59038

I haven't seen any fix. It's amazing how many people (including me)
have this problem with Dell computers and Dell seems to be unable
or unwilling to address it.

Microphone on Audigy 2 ZS not recording (8/9/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=59439

I just got my new XPS Gen 5 and can't get it to record any audio
using my microphone.
I have to scream into the microphone

this problem has been posted on this forum for many months without
any resolution.

Microphone - weak input, out of ideas... (8/29/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=60002

Dell tech support insisted I reformat my hard disk and reinstall
everything.

It's really sad to see this problem persist for so long without any
help from Dell Support. If you search this forum, you'll see many,
many posts about this. What's really pathetic is that you were sent
a replacement sound card and told to reformat when Dell should know
by now that it's not just YOUR card that's not performing as it
should.

I am amazed (& frustrated) with the numerous "hoops" that Dell Tech
Support had me jump through over 12 days without ever admitting a
problem.

Your tactic seems to be to "wear the customer out" until he/she
gives up.

Augiby SB ZS microphone problems FIX HERE!!!! (9/9/05)
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...ssage.id=60340

I can see it coming, my warranty ends in November 05 and Dell's
gona tell me to pound sand.

I tried an old Yamaha Waveforce 192XG out of my 5 year olds PC and
guess what? It worked.

Now I don't know about you, but that doesn't make me feel good
about the $$$ I spend on my XPS system.

WEAK MICROPHONE + AUDIGY 2 PROBLEM - TRY THIS... (9/18/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=60572

Brand New XPS 600 with Audigy 2 Zs. I have tried every option that
has been suggested on the forums and via Google search. I just
can't get any decent volume from my mic.

Therefore, Madam, I kindly ask that Dell take its responsibility to
make my XPS system (under warranty) fully functional.

I think I have seen every single volume control slider that exists
in the system, XP, Creative, etc.

I just got my machine Friday, an XPS 600 with the Audigy 2ZS with
the same exact problem all of you are having. I can get some mic
volume with everything upped but it is not exceptable.

Well, I just installed my second Audigy 2ZS replacement card (a
refurbished one, according to the package), and not surprisingly
the issue remains exactly the same...

I told the support that another replacment likely wouldn't help,
but what do they care.... He claimed he is not authorized to send
another type of soundcard (and did not want to put me in contact
with someone who was).

I still think they made a change on the card itself to reduce the
mic gain because they had a lot of complaints about
noise/interference in the mic line.

I have been through every switch, slider and control with XPS
Advanced support at least twice. This isn't a user error.

At a Loss!!!! Dimension Audio problems (10/3/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=60815

They had me do the complete restore right away, but the problem
came back within a week or so. They are going to make me do a
complete restore again.

You're joking..... for real????? That's ridiculous !!!! I'm sorry
to hear that, I cannot believe NO ONE can figure out a problem that
many people are having.

Low output from "standard" mic (10/9/05)
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...ssage.id=61118

I can't get the mic that comes with the computer to generate much
output.

If you go to Dell tech support with the mic problem and ask if
they've heard of the mic problem, they will most likely say they've
never heard of the mic problem !!

can't get mic to work on Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS (10/13/05)
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...ssage.id=58450

This is a widespread and continuing problem with the Dell version
of the Audigy 2 ZS sound card. The mic input does not work.

Yet Dell is still bundling these cards with its systems.

so the tactic may be to wait for the complaints to die down.

USB 2.0 problem (Weird issue) Jman Homebuilt PC's 0 December 16th 04 08:18 AM
kvm switch issue Hedgie General 1 July 9th 04 05:57 PM
shutdown issue Gene General 1 July 9th 04 01:19 AM
Display issue Bruin General 2 September 1st 03 02:32 AM
Solved compatability issue of built-in Intel PRO/1000 network adapter on P4C800-E Eric Asus Motherboards 0 July 14th 03 08:41 PM