x800xl and Far Cry, disasterous!

Old October 10th 05, 06:44 PM
Al Kaufmann

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 06:47:35 GMT, Al Kaufmann
wrote:

My case is well designed Lian-Li PC60u with 2 case fans in front
pulling air in and one at the top and back for exit. I will connect
these fans to the regular connectors and then see what happens to the
temperature inside the case.

To anyone that is interested I disconnected the fan only connectors
from my Antec power supply and connected the case fans to the regular
power connectors. Motherboard Monitor now shows my case temperature
about 10C less than before and the CPU temperature about 7C less. I
now have my cpu fan set as slow as possible so it is quieter too.

The temperature shown by the ATI video card is only 1C less but there
the fan is also temperature controlled. Maybe I will give the
Overdrive utility a chance and see what happens.

Ak

Old October 12th 05, 10:20 AM
AAvK

Phil,

I figured out why it's correct of others about the power supply not being
enough... It doesn't have a short because it works fine as it is without playing
games... (found where that capacitor fell off from, the Ti4600) it is when a
game uses the capability of taking over all the hardware as is possible via
DirectX and OpenGL... the game will fill out all RAM that exists on the
mobo and the vid-card, as much as possible. When that happens, the game
as active is not a consciencious entity that is controlling what it does conc-
erning all resources of hardware, it's just acting as directed and set. Too much
software running when the game is full of it's own activities of animation,
and there simply isn't enough power, the computer then shuts down as a
failure because the game is not designed to control the resources. Therefore
the game goes too far itself. A bunch of games I have will shut the computer
flat off so a new 550 watt is on it's way. But I thank you for your great efforts
to help, much appreciated, dude.

--
Giant_Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Old October 12th 05, 01:56 PM
Phil Weldon

I'm afraid that you rexplanation isn't correct.
Good luck with your new power supply.
Let us know the results.

Phil Weldon

Old October 12th 05, 06:31 PM
AAvK

I'm afraid that you rexplanation isn't correct.
Good luck with your new power supply.
Let us know the results.

Phil Weldon

I'd bet I'm right if the game takes over the whole computer, hardware wise...
and out of control?

--
Giant_Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Old October 12th 05, 08:20 PM
Phil Weldon

You might have a power supply that doesn't really meet specifications. Or
that isn't really rated at 375 Watts for normal operating conditions and
that will supply considerably less at its current operating temperature.
Here's hoping your new supply is a good one that meets specifications and
that the rated power is at normal operating temperatures, not at some
unrealistically low temperature.

Good luck and may all your problems be solved.

Phil Weldon

Old October 13th 05, 02:43 AM
Joe Mama

AAvK wrote:
[...]

That's english, right? Anyway, maybe it's a long shot, but do you think
the problem *might* have something to do with the MISSING CAPACITOR?
Have you considered maybe replacing your *faulty video card*? If a gear
fell of the transmission of your car, would you replace the engine?

Wow. Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

Cheers,
-joe.

If I had bought every penis enlargement product that I have
ever been spammed, and they all worked as promised,
my penis would be 23.7 kms long.

Old October 13th 05, 03:20 AM
AAvK

That's english, right? Anyway, maybe it's a long shot, but do you think
the problem *might* have something to do with the MISSING CAPACITOR? Have you considered maybe replacing your *faulty video card*?
If a gear fell of the transmission of your car, would you replace the engine?
Wow. Sorry, had to get that off my chest.
Cheers,
-joe.

Joe you didn't read the rest of the "whole" thread, I don't blame you it's a lot.
Notice the title of the thread compared to what you did just read? I bought an
ATI x800xl and am having problems with the computer shutting down when
in game play, game play only. The general consensus is that there is a power
supply problem which I agree with, because the x800xl has to have an external
plug of power beyond the just the AGP slot's power.

Far Cry and Q-III based games will shut the computer all the way off, Doom 3
and Quake II games however, do not.

Phil thinks there is a "short" in the electronics of the PSu, or That the PSu is
not rated correctly. I have a new Coolmax 550 watt PSu is on it's way, this
Friday.

The capacitor came off the old Chaintech nVidia Ti4600 card which is no
longer in the computer, the x800xl is what is installed. When the Ti4600 was
installed however, the missing capacitor never presented any kind of problem.

Thanks for the clearity,

--
Giant_Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Old October 14th 05, 03:22 AM
Joe Mama

AAvK wrote:

[...]

Dude. Really sorry. I are a idiot, and stuff.

I *may* have posted that before I'd had coffee...

Cheers,
-joe.

I must be lost: I've passed the point of no
return three times in the last hour.
Old October 14th 05, 01:42 PM
Dave

"Joe Mama" wrote in message
AAvK wrote:

[...]

Don't feel bad, it took about 10 posts for all the info to come out from the
OP.

Dave