Cleaning Canon nozzles - i950 bubble jet.

Old August 11th 04, 11:56 PM
DD

Default Cleaning Canon nozzles - i950 bubble jet.

Where does all the ink go when you perform a cleaning or deep cleaning
operation on the Canon i950? The instructions say that Deep cleaning
uses a lot of ink but there is no mention of where it ends up!
Anyone know?

DD

Old August 13th 04, 03:10 AM
B.B. from N.B.

"DD" wrote in message
Where does all the ink go when you perform a cleaning or deep cleaning
operation on the Canon i950? The instructions say that Deep cleaning
uses a lot of ink but there is no mention of where it ends up!
Anyone know?

DD

On the I850 there is a ink overflow reservoir that periodically needs to be
cleaned or the printer stops working.

I am taking my 850 to a Canon repair shop tomorrow to clean it out.

Old August 13th 04, 04:42 AM
DD

How did you get to know about that? I have searched everywhere for some
information about this subject!

DD

Old August 13th 04, 07:21 AM
beezer

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:56:33 +1000, DD wrote:

Where does all the ink go when you perform a cleaning or deep cleaning
operation on the Canon i950? The instructions say that Deep cleaning
uses a lot of ink but there is no mention of where it ends up!
Anyone know?

DD

If you look by the bottom rollers that lay just below the head there
is a sponge strip that runs along the bottom.. Only a small strip is
exposed.

Excess ink is absorbed in this sponge from cleaning and overspray of
the paper edge. . it is quite possible to blot up a bulk of it before
it becomes full. I am not postive but i believe that when the sponge
becomes saturated all the way to the left, that may set off the full
reservoir indicator and then requiring service.

Mine seems to be faintly wet for about 1/4 of the length. Kinda like a
lightly wet ink stamp pad.

See how far along to the left you can blot ink with a paper towel. If
its pretty wet, you might want to try just blotting or wicking up the
ink. It may save a trip for servicing.

I never run the head cleaning manually myself. I never had a reason
to. My printer seems to take care of itsself just fine.

Old August 13th 04, 07:50 AM
DD

beezer wrote:
[...]

That was a good bit of information, I will do as you suggest when I
have the time and inclination. I have only had the printer for a few
months and have not had reason to use it much until now. I was printing
some snow scenes [Yes we do get snow in Australia - in some parts!],
anyway, the snow printed pink then when I printed another after filling
the photo cyan tank, guess what? It printed light blue! To cut a long
story in half, it turned out to be a fault in the print program I was
using.
In an effort to find out what the cause was, I used the nozzle cleaning
and deep cleaning a lot more than I should have.

Thanks...

DD

Old August 13th 04, 01:06 PM
B.B. from N.B.

B.B. from N.B. wrote:
"DD" wrote in message

Where does all the ink go when you perform a cleaning or deep cleaning
operation on the Canon i950? The instructions say that Deep cleaning
uses a lot of ink but there is no mention of where it ends up!
Anyone know?

DD

On the I850 there is a ink overflow reservoir that periodically needs to

be
cleaned or the printer stops working.

I am taking my 850 to a Canon repair shop tomorrow to clean it out.

The information is on the Canon website but as I mentioned I have an I850
and the information might be different for the I960.

Old August 13th 04, 10:45 PM
Michael

"B.B. from N.B." wrote in message news:QqVSc.246537$%_6.121236@attbi_s01...
"DD" wrote in message
Where does all the ink go when you perform a cleaning or deep cleaning
operation on the Canon i950? The instructions say that Deep cleaning
uses a lot of ink but there is no mention of where it ends up!
Anyone know?

DD

On the I850 there is a ink overflow reservoir that periodically needs to be
cleaned or the printer stops working.

There's huge pad at the bottom of the printer and a big sponge, called
the "waste ink tank"

And it DOES NOT have to be cleaned. Never.

I am taking my 850 to a Canon repair shop tomorrow to clean it out.

Not wise of you to do that.
Old August 14th 04, 03:49 AM
PC Medic

"DD" wrote in message
Where does all the ink go when you perform a cleaning or deep cleaning
operation on the Canon i950? The instructions say that Deep cleaning
uses a lot of ink but there is no mention of where it ends up!
Anyone know?

DD

On the I850 there is a ink overflow reservoir that periodically needs to

be
cleaned or the printer stops working.

I am taking my 850 to a Canon repair shop tomorrow to clean it out.

I am assuming you refer to the Waste Ink Tank (not a tank in reality) and am
not sure where you got your information, but this does NOT need periodic
cleaning. With normal use it is rare one should ever need to have this type
service done during the life of the printer. I have had several of their
printers and never had to perform this. I have a S520 (low end) and even it
after nearly two years and numerous 700+ page jobs has never given a
problem.

If service is needed in the Waste Ink area the printer will trigger an error
code to indicate this. Don't waste your time or money.

Old August 14th 04, 03:51 AM
PC Medic

B.B. from N.B. wrote:
"DD" wrote in message

Where does all the ink go when you perform a cleaning or deep cleaning
operation on the Canon i950? The instructions say that Deep cleaning
uses a lot of ink but there is no mention of where it ends up!
Anyone know?

DD

On the I850 there is a ink overflow reservoir that periodically needs

be
cleaned or the printer stops working.

I am taking my 850 to a Canon repair shop tomorrow to clean it out.

The information is on the Canon website but as I mentioned I have an I850
and the information might be different for the I960.

All models have similar function and NONE should need service on this under
normal circumstances. If it does, the printer will flash an error code
indicating it and that is the ONLY time service should be performed.

Old August 14th 04, 03:58 AM
PC Medic

"beezer" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:56:33 +1000, DD wrote:

Where does all the ink go when you perform a cleaning or deep cleaning
operation on the Canon i950? The instructions say that Deep cleaning
uses a lot of ink but there is no mention of where it ends up!
Anyone know?

DD

If you look by the bottom rollers that lay just below the head there
is a sponge strip that runs along the bottom.. Only a small strip is
exposed.

Excess ink is absorbed in this sponge from cleaning and overspray of
the paper edge. . it is quite possible to blot up a bulk of it before
it becomes full. I am not postive but i believe that when the sponge
becomes saturated all the way to the left, that may set off the full
reservoir indicator and then requiring service.

While you are partially right this particular sponge absorbs ink from
overspray while performing borderless prints, but does not during a cleaning
cycle. It also does not have any part in triggering a Waste Ink error as
that is an entirely differnt part in the printer with its own method of
detecting need for service.

Mine seems to be faintly wet for about 1/4 of the length. Kinda like a
lightly wet ink stamp pad.

See how far along to the left you can blot ink with a paper towel. If
its pretty wet, you might want to try just blotting or wicking up the
ink. It may save a trip for servicing.

Certainly not a recommended practice. Again, has nothing to due with service
error indicators and attempting this may infact cause problems should you
get ink on the rollers (causing vertical lines on your print outs) or on the
encoder strip (destroying any chance of a succesful head alignment without
service).

I never run the head cleaning manually myself. I never had a reason
to. My printer seems to take care of itsself just fine.

As it is designed to do!