I need advice on a color laser printer?

Old November 5th 03, 06:55 PM
Rich

Default I need advice on a color laser printer?

Hi,
I own a small business and need to buy a
laser color printer. Our inkjet is getting
tired and costly.

Our volume is about 800 color and 500
black and white per wk.

I checked out the HP 4600 and the Minolta
3500 and they seem pretty comparable.

Any advice would appreciated,
Rich
Old November 7th 03, 02:22 AM
Rich

Thank's for your help.
The search goes on.

Rich

Old November 8th 03, 02:01 AM
Driftwood

I couldn't find any information on the minolta 3500 on minolta's website.
Do you mean the 3300?

I see that the HP 4600 is only 600dpi. A color laser doesn't have the
photographic quality of an inkjet so I really recommend higher DPI to make
up for that.

Old November 19th 03, 05:31 PM
H bomb 2k

the okidata 9300n is quality..

please email me at for a quote
Old November 29th 03, 07:50 AM
Chas.

Rich wrote in message . ..
Hi,
I own a small business and need to buy a
laser color printer. Our inkjet is getting
tired and costly.

Our volume is about 800 color and 500
black and white per wk.

I checked out the HP 4600 and the Minolta
3500 and they seem pretty comparable.

Any advice would appreciated,
Rich

Be prepared for some initial sticker shock over the cost of printer
supplies but a color laserjet is faster and probably cheaper than an
inkjet for business use over a 3 year period.

I've been using an HP 4500 Color LaserJet for about 2 1/2 years. I
print double sided 8 1/2 x 11 flyers with 20% to 35% coverage. I
figured out that my amortized cost per sheet is about $.33 for double
sided printing. The costs include the original total purchase price of
the printer plus costs of consumables such as toner cartridges, Drum
Kits, Transfer Kits and a Fuser Kit.

The 4500 prints single sided at 4 pages per minute color and about 18
per minute B&W. The general opinion is to use a less expensive printer
for black and white printing. I have an older HP LaserJet 6P that
spits out B&W at 8 PPM and several Ink Jets that are pretty fast - an
HP 970 and an HP 2160.

The 6p gets about 6000 to 8000 prints per $80 toner cartridge. The Ink
Jets get about 500+ per expensive cartridges. Refiling is for
cheapskates! I don't have time to mess around to save a few bucks nor
would I want an employee wasting company time either!

The HP 4600 uses toner cartridges that are almost twice the price of
the ones for the CLJ 4500. They are supposed to produce 25% to 50%
more prints than the 4500 cartridges.

The 4600 prints are supposed to be much better quality and it can
crank out 16 PPM in color and B&W.

The HP CLJ 4600 has been selling for ~ $1999 USD but the price is
dropping because HP is bringing out a new model soon. The newer model
will problaby sell for about $3000 for the first 6 months or so, if HP
follows the pattern they used for the past 5-6 years.

The real advantage of the HP over other brands is that I can get toner
catrriges from Office Depot, Office Max, Stapples, CompUSA and other
stores that are open until 9 PM Mon-Fri and have normal business hours
on the weekends. Try finding color toner cartridges for most of the
other brands at any of these stores!

As for print quality, I've printed 8 x 10 prints from a 2.1 megapixel
digital camera that have looked great. Years ago I worked in
advertising as a professional photographer. I also taught photography
at a university and I used to show in international photo salons. A
300 DPI print is more that satisfactory for most business uses, 600
DPI quality is overkill.

I just missed a deal on a display model 4600 at my local Office Depot.
They sold it on Weds. for $1499!

Chas.
Old November 29th 03, 10:57 AM
SleeperMan

If you look out for costs, then Canon i860 is cheaper. according to this
site:
http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer...eights-11.html

if you print 1500 color, 1500 b/w pages and 360 photos, then all costs
incl.printer and ink are about 500$ which gives about 0,15$ per page. And
even lower if you refill.. But quality, fading etc ---that is
questionable...since i didn't have any color laser yet, i can't tell.

typed:

. ..

Old November 29th 03, 10:25 PM
Pete Premock

I owned a HP 4500 for two years and got a great deal on a Xerox Phaser 790.
I sold the 4500 and am now using the Phaser 790. The 790 does perfect photos
on cheap paper. (.10/sheet) I have photos in my show room window for 2 years
printed on the 790 and they are still as nice as they were when I printed
them. It is much faster than the 4500 and the quality for photos is much
better. I can buy generic toner for the 790 for 39.00 which reduces the cost
considerably. My problem now is I need an upper fuser roller for the 790 and
can't find one. If anyone knows where I can get one, please let me know.
Pete
"Chas." wrote in message
om...

. ..

Old November 30th 03, 01:36 AM
Zermut

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 22:25:29 GMT, "Pete Premock"
wrote:

I owned a HP 4500 for two years and got a great deal on a Xerox Phaser 790.
I sold the 4500 and am now using the Phaser 790. The 790 does perfect photos
on cheap paper. (.10/sheet) I have photos in my show room window for 2 years
printed on the 790 and they are still as nice as they were when I printed
them. It is much faster than the 4500 and the quality for photos is much
better. I can buy generic toner for the 790 for 39.00 which reduces the cost
considerably. My problem now is I need an upper fuser roller for the 790 and
can't find one. If anyone knows where I can get one, please let me know.
Pete

Good luck Pete. You will have trouble finding the parts. They are only
available at a Xerox dealer. Do you have a service contract on this
printer?

Zermut

Problem installing USB printers on Dell 4500 Paul Filion Dell Computers 14 August 22nd 04 11:51 AM
Dell printer 960 gringo Dell Computers 5 April 9th 04 07:26 AM
Duplex Printer Advice Needed Ashley Printers 2 October 22nd 03 11:34 PM
Duplex Printer Advice Needed Ashley Printers 0 October 22nd 03 08:49 PM
3820 woes Smith Printers 5 August 5th 03 12:32 AM