Restart problem with graphics card

Old November 27th 03, 07:53 AM
00steve

Default Restart problem with graphics card

Hello,

I am fixing up an old celeron 633 for a friend to use to browse the
Internet, play some (older) games and use office etc.

This is the current spec:

Jetway 993AN Rev 1 motherboard
Celeron 633 / 128 / 66 / 1.65v
64MB PC100
128MB PC100
Sound Blaster 16 PCI
GeForce 2 MX 64mb
20 - 48x CDROM
Fujitsu 6GB HDD

For some reason I am now getting problems where the system
spontaneously restarts (screen just goes black - back to startup)

I believe that this could be caused by either the RAM or the graphics
card. Does anyone know why this problem could be caused?

Thanks
Old November 27th 03, 01:26 PM
kony

On 26 Nov 2003 23:53:34 -0800, (00steve) wrote:

Hello,

I am fixing up an old celeron 633 for a friend to use to browse the
Internet, play some (older) games and use office etc.

This is the current spec:

Jetway 993AN Rev 1 motherboard
Celeron 633 / 128 / 66 / 1.65v
64MB PC100
128MB PC100
Sound Blaster 16 PCI
GeForce 2 MX 64mb
20 - 48x CDROM
Fujitsu 6GB HDD

For some reason I am now getting problems where the system
spontaneously restarts (screen just goes black - back to startup)

I believe that this could be caused by either the RAM or the graphics
card. Does anyone know why this problem could be caused?

Thanks

Test the memory with
http://www.memtest86.com

Touch-test the video card heatsink, if it's very hot see if pointing a
fan at it helps, or if it has a siezed fan put a drop of heavyweight
oil in it's bearing. A different video card might be swapped in or a
different driver tried but I suspect the video card is less likey than
the power supply or motherboard.

Examine the motherboard capacitors for signs of bulging, vented or
domed tops, leaking or residue. Also suspect the capacitors if
they're branded Lelon, Luxon, Tayeh, Jackcon, I.Q, JPCON, or Chhsi.

If the power supply is a cheap generic, especially more than a few
months old, suspect it as well. You might take voltage readings at
the power connectors with a voltmeter or remove power supply, wait a
few minutes after unplugging from AC and open it, inspecting the
internals.

If the reboots following any pattern you might focus on that (event),
perhaps changing BIOS settings for memory or AGP or resetting BIOS to
defaults, and/or updating the BIOS if possible... Don't try to update
the BIOS unless you can be confident that the system won't
crash/reboot while the update is occuring.

If it's running WinXP and set to reboot on errors, disable that:
Go to Start - Control Panel - System
Go to Advanced
Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"

Dave

Graphic card problem Shep© General 2 November 25th 03 11:16 AM
USB/Firewire combo card problem Bruin General 0 November 8th 03 01:28 AM
Problem: Compaq EVO D310 vs Nvidia Graphics Card. Tomas General 5 November 1st 03 05:39 PM
problem installing Diamond AGP card net General 17 October 16th 03 12:17 AM
New Graphics Card AndrewMacInnes General 2 August 12th 03 11:12 PM