Random display flicker on laptop

Old July 6th 07, 06:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
[email protected]

Default Random display flicker on laptop

Hi, been troubleshooting this display flicker problem on a new laptop
assigned to me by my company ever since I got it a few months ago.
(My internal IT dept is like working with overseas Dell support, so
I'd rather do it myself, if you know what I mean.) I have the problem
narrowed down but still need help diagnosing how to fix it.

The laptop is a Compaq NC8430. In troubleshooting, I've updated to
the latest versions of the bios and the ATI Radeon X1600 driver. I
also have the Catalyst Control Center. The flicker is best described
as a quick flash to black, although sometimes it looks like the
display shifts to the left a bit and then returns to position. It's
very quick, and happens on both the laptop screen and the secondary
monitor that I have plugged in. It happens randomly, roughly every 5
seconds to several minutes.

I've narrowed it down to this cause: If I go into Windows display
properties, click the secondary monitor and check "extend my desktop
to this display", then I get the flicker behavior. As long as that
box is NOT checked, then the display is fine. Of course this means
that if I want to use all that yummy screen real estate of the second
monitor, I have to put up with the flicker. None of the other display
settings have made a difference, nor have things like resolution or
refresh rate. Oh, and I should say that since this is a work machine,
there are no games on it so it's not (I think) a problem with 3d or
anything like that.

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated!

Old July 7th 07, 02:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Captain Midnight

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

What version of Windows and what monitor? Do you have the correct .INF file
installed to set the parameters for the monitor. Should be able to get it
from MFG website if not. Any problems in Device Manager?

Old July 9th 07, 03:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
[email protected]

Captain Midnight wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The secondary monitor is a ViewSonic VP171b. I'm running Win XP Pro
SP2. There are no problems in device manager. The secondary monitor
seems to work fine, and in fact flickers less than the laptop screen
when I use it.

I first reported this on HP's laptop support forum and haven't gotten
any help yet, but lots of other people reporting the same problem.

Old July 9th 07, 04:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Captain Midnight

wrote in message
oups.com...

Captain Midnight wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You want the .INF file for the ViewSonic even if it doesn't affect the
problem. Sounds like you'll have to wait for Dell to fix it. Don't know how
Dell support works but with standard M/B I'd also make sure to have the
latest chipset drivers.

Old July 9th 07, 08:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
[email protected]

Captain Midnight wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Captain Midnight wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Sorry, you're a bit confused. I said that working with my internal IT
dept was *LIKE* Dell support. I don't work for Dell, and the laptop
is an HP/Compaq. :-)

I have the latest chipset drivers, fully updated BIOS, and it is using
the Viewsonic .inf file. I just think it's wierd that it only happens
when I have the "extend my desktop to this monitor" box checked.
There's no flicker if if that box isn't checked, even if the monitor
is plugged in and on.

Old July 10th 07, 03:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

Make sure both the laptop screen and the secondary monitor are running at
the same refresh rate when you extend the desktop. If possible, set both to
60 Hz.

ps.com...

Old July 12th 07, 06:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
[email protected]

--

Ok, thanks for the suggestion. I double checked and made sure that
both monitors are on the same refresh rate. It still has the

Old July 12th 07, 07:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Michel R. Carleer

Did you try to change the video overlay mode to standard dual mode?
I also have the problem, and it seems to be related to the overlay windows
used by players, tv cards etc.
Only when using clone or extended dual screen.

wrote in message
oups.com...