Canon IP4000 not printing black on cd's?

Old November 6th 06, 09:11 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Andrew

Default Canon IP4000 not printing black on cd's?

Whenever I print black on a cd its comes out green. Printing black on paper
works fine.

Can anyone confirm this printer uses the large black ink cart when printing
on paper and the small one when printing cd's?

Thanks
Andy

PS. All carts are Canon's own. Canon and PCWorld dont want to know since
it is
now outside 12 month warranty. PCWorld's response was:

Thank you for your email.

As the model is out of warranty, we would need proof that the fault was
inherent at the time of purchase.
For this you will need the item testing by a VAT registered engineer. This
report will need to detail a full break down on the fault.

If this report contains details that the item had an inherent fault for the
date of purchase. we will be happy to arrange for the appropriate action to
be taken and also arrange for a refund for the engineer report you were
charged.

Please write to the below address once the report has been completed.

|-----------------------------|
|PCWorld Customer Services |
|-----------------------------|
|Customer Contact Centre |
|-----------------------------|
|PO BOX 1687 |
|-----------------------------|
|Sheffield |
|-----------------------------|
|S2 5YA |
|-----------------------------|

Yours sincerely

Chris Rhodes
PC World Aftersales

Old November 6th 06, 04:20 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Paul Heslop

Andrew wrote:

Whenever I print black on a cd its comes out green. Printing black on paper
works fine.

Can anyone confirm this printer uses the large black ink cart when printing
on paper and the small one when printing cd's?

Thanks
Andy

PS. All carts are Canon's own. Canon and PCWorld dont want to know since
it is
now outside 12 month warranty. PCWorld's response was:

Firstly print a nozzle check test pattern, which will show which black
is at fault. If it's the 3eBK then I think that's the fat one. It'll
either not print at all or print with lines in etc. If you haven't
tried it run a series of deep cleans and normal ones. Usually if I am
having problems like this it takes a while to get ink to come through,
and at first it might be patchy, but really give it some heavy duty
cleaning, and print a test every couple of runs to see if you're
getting any improvement.

Obviously I can't guarantee this method but it's something to try if
you haven't had a go.

Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Old November 6th 06, 05:46 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Dan G

The 4000 uses Photo black on CD's, unless you change the settings. It's
using a default photo paper profile for disc printing. Sounds like you have
a clog, or a dead head. I just got a 4000 print head for about $50.

Old November 6th 06, 07:45 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt

Andrew - go onto the nifty-stuff forum and look at all the info on print
head cleaning. Might as well try before buying a new print head. The
pigmented black nozzles are the most prone to clogging.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/

Old November 7th 06, 03:42 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Did you try another brand of printable CD or DVD?

Some have a printable coatings of different colours and absorption
capability. It could be a problem with the media, and not the printer.
Personally, I ran across a brand that wouldn't retain any ink
whatsoever.

I'd verify that the problem exists with other printable CD/DVD brands,
before pinning the problem on the printer. Otherwise, you could be
wasting your time trying to rectify a non-existant printer/ink problem.

Bullitt

Old November 8th 06, 08:23 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

What's the going rate for a printable CD or DVD these days? Oh yeah,
30 to 40 cents...each...Canadian. Spend a buck or bum a few off
friends that have 'em, as long as they're a different brand, and print
the same thing to see if the black is still 'green'. It's well worth
it to identify a bad batch of printable media, which is entirely
possible.

I get quite off-color results with a batch of Princo DVD printables
that give the image a prominent greenish-brown cast, whereas the same
print looked fantastic on my other Ritek, TDK and Verbatim DVD
printables, and Memorex CD printables, all tested just now on my IP5000
(with european CD/DVD printing kit installed). I've also got a batch
of Verbatim ValuLife CD printables where the print comes out way too
light (colours were all very pale, blacks were grey/green), and never
really dries because the 'printable' surface apparently won't absorb
the ink. The coating must be defective, as even after 72 hours, I can
just take a paper towel and wipe it clean. These 'bad' discs have been
relegated to non-printable status (but a Sharpie will still permanently
mark on it). Go figure. Note, all my printable media are 'white', not
the 'silver' type.

(Btw, never, ever put a 'wet' printable CD/DVD in a drive... what a
mess! It'll just spray the inside of your drive with ink as it
centrifuges off the disc... yeah, I know you're all ROTFL, but I wasn't
thinking when I did it..., just the one time..., long ago).

Also, if you use the Canon CD-Labelprint software, try selecting 'dark'
instead of 'light', if that's what you've been using.

Bullitt

Paul Heslop wrote:
wrote:

Did you try another brand of printable CD or DVD?

Some have a printable coatings of different colours and absorption
capability. It could be a problem with the media, and not the printer.
Personally, I ran across a brand that wouldn't retain any ink
whatsoever.

I'd verify that the problem exists with other printable CD/DVD brands,
before pinning the problem on the printer. Otherwise, you could be
wasting your time trying to rectify a non-existant printer/ink problem.

Bullitt

If he prints out the test pattern it will show which black is working
without any extra cost, then he will at least have some idea of a
starting point before going to extra cost.

Old November 8th 06, 09:52 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Paul Heslop

wrote:

What's the going rate for a printable CD or DVD these days? Oh yeah,
30 to 40 cents...each...Canadian. Spend a buck or bum a few off
friends that have 'em, as long as they're a different brand, and print
the same thing to see if the black is still 'green'. It's well worth
it to identify a bad batch of printable media, which is entirely
possible.

yes, quite possibly, but no trouble, piece of paper, print, evidence
of malfunction or not, as a starting point. Obviously if there's a
space where one of the blacks should print then there's a blockage or
fault which needs seeing to and it doesn't involve moving from your
desk.

I get quite off-color results with a batch of Princo DVD printables
that give the image a prominent greenish-brown cast, whereas the same
print looked fantastic on my other Ritek, TDK and Verbatim DVD
printables, and Memorex CD printables, all tested just now on my IP5000
(with european CD/DVD printing kit installed). I've also got a batch
of Verbatim ValuLife CD printables where the print comes out way too
light (colours were all very pale, blacks were grey/green), and never
really dries because the 'printable' surface apparently won't absorb
the ink. The coating must be defective, as even after 72 hours, I can
just take a paper towel and wipe it clean. These 'bad' discs have been
relegated to non-printable status (but a Sharpie will still permanently
mark on it). Go figure. Note, all my printable media are 'white', not
the 'silver' type.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I would have to cross all my fingers and
toes before I suggested I haven't had any bad media though I think it
was black looking a little brown, and I also found using canon's
software that if there was one of those blended blue and red skyline
things in the cover image it would tend to over saturate the pinkness.
I also have some cd_r which retain a dampness or tackiness about them
after printing, very unpleasant.

(Btw, never, ever put a 'wet' printable CD/DVD in a drive... what a
mess! It'll just spray the inside of your drive with ink as it
centrifuges off the disc... yeah, I know you're all ROTFL, but I wasn't
thinking when I did it..., just the one time..., long ago).

:O))

Also, if you use the Canon CD-Labelprint software, try selecting 'dark'
instead of 'light', if that's what you've been using.

Bullitt

That's a good one, I've noted that tendency to print too light on the
software too.

Old November 8th 06, 03:49 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
zakezuke

Paul Heslop wrote:

That's a good one, I've noted that tendency to print too light on the
software too.

Yep... I use intensity +8 minium, and on OEM ink +2 black... always.

Printe does tend to be light on many types of discs, I suspect they are
geared for epson and not for canon, which in all fairness uses a less
dence ink. Verbatiums need more like a +10 to +12 in my experence,
TDKs not really an issue.

Old November 8th 06, 04:23 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Paul Heslop

zakezuke wrote:

Paul Heslop wrote:

That's a good one, I've noted that tendency to print too light on the
software too.

Yep... I use intensity +8 minium, and on OEM ink +2 black... always.

Printe does tend to be light on many types of discs, I suspect they are
geared for epson and not for canon, which in all fairness uses a less
dence ink. Verbatiums need more like a +10 to +12 in my experence,
TDKs not really an issue.

Interesting. I have only tried the ritek extreme/ ritek generic (I
think) datawrite titanium and panasonic discs. It was titanium cd-r
full face which have the tacky surface if memory serves me right