Nvidia GeForce 7600GS finally out for AGP

Old August 14th 06, 07:04 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
ScottL

Default Nvidia GeForce 7600GS finally out for AGP

"Walter Mitty" wrote in message ...
"ScottL" writes:

"pc games" wrote in message ups.com...
John Lewis wrote:
Alternatively, have you listed them on Ebay yet ?

How many times do I need to tell you I'm totally against
selling of buying PC Games used in the 2nd hand market.
So I would never do that.

Sell the 4 extra games on Ebay while they still have some
value and send ALL the money directly to the developer

Like I said I'm against selling/buying used 2nd hand games

I missed the first part of this thread, but if you're talking
about legitimate copies of games, why are you against
selling them? There's absolutely no reason why you
shouldn't. Computer games are no different than books,
audio CDs, videos or any other kind of media: you have
every right to sell copies you legally buy. It's called "first
use right" in the U.S.

Its a moral decision : and one which I tend to agree with. Reselling
deprives the makers of any income. I rarely, if ever, resell books too.

What's different about reselling a computer game or book
than anything else? If I resell my stereo receiver, you're
saying Sony is being deprived of income? They've already
received their income for that particular unit.

Old August 14th 06, 07:22 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Walter Mitty

John Lewis wrote:
[...]

I'm not going to really argue the toss : its just a personal issue. I
like to hang onto games & books. I kind of see it like going to the
cinema : I couldnt resell my ticket stub for the latest big screen block
buster.

Old August 14th 06, 08:25 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rob

On 13 Aug 2006 22:21:40 -0700, "pc games"

But you most have a Hole in your head to even think of
VISTA, its just DRM plus more DRM..

But the only thing from MS I use is the OS itself cause again
I don't have any choice but besides that I don't use anything
else from MS.

That's hypocritical given your stance on the STEAM issue. You say that
you're vehemently against Product Activation and yet you use Windows
XP. You use that OS because it's the only way that you can play games.
That's fair enough.

Yet, there is only *one* way to play Half-Life 2, and that is via
STEAM. You aggressively attack anybody that does that, claiming that
they are hurting gamers like you. Even though they don't have a choice
if they want to play HL2. Why don't you boycott XP like you tell
everybody to boycott STEAM? " Vote with your wallet" has become your
pet saying. Why aren't you adhering to your own mantra? One rule for
you and one rule for everyone else eh?

You harp on about Prey and the fact that it is likely to have its copy
protection patched out, citing this as a good thing. Did you know that
it might be replaced by a simple click through "yes/no" screen asking
you to agree to the EULA before playing? Imagine, you'll have to "ask
for permission" to play it every time, just like you say people have
to with Half-Life 2.

Will you say that's humiliating and stop playing and promoting Prey
and any mission packs/follow-ups? Of course you won't, because you're
a hypocrite.

Like I always say... if the PC Gaming industry switch all
together to Linux I will immediately follow with a big smile

Yet more hypocrisy. You don't want people to use STEAM because people
like you, without Broadband, will get left behind. Yet you'll happily
jump to Linux even if it means a large number of gamers get "left
behind". So long as you're OK, you don't actually care, do you?

Up to this point I have made quite a considerable effort to try to
understand your stance on certain things. I didn't realise the depth
of your hypocrisy until just now.

--
Rob

Old August 14th 06, 08:54 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
ScottL

"Rob" wrote in message ...
[...]

I think relatively few people have a problem with mandatory
online activation. I mean it's nothing new, and most of us have
subjugated ourselves to it. But Valve have taken it another
nasty step further, to the point where for many people it falls
into the "there outta be a law against this" category.

This much I know: when I was shopping in the store for a new
computer game, if Valve had stated on the HL2 box that several
hours of updates via a dialup internet connection were required
before I could play the game, there's no way in hell I would have
bought it.

Old August 14th 06, 09:25 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rob

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 07:54:33 GMT, "ScottL"
wrote:

I think relatively few people have a problem with mandatory
online activation. I mean it's nothing new, and most of us have
subjugated ourselves to it. But Valve have taken it another
nasty step further, to the point where for many people it falls
into the "there outta be a law against this" category.

How so? That's a genuine question and not a troll. I have no great
love of STEAM but I have yet to find it invasive, intrusive or in any
way detrimental to my PC or to any of my games.

This much I know: when I was shopping in the store for a new
computer game, if Valve had stated on the HL2 box that several
hours of updates via a dialup internet connection were required
before I could play the game, there's no way in hell I would have
bought it.

You can play Half-Life 2 straight out of the box. I just recently
installed HL2 and STEAM on a system that had never had either program
on and was playing the game 25 minutes later.

Nobody is forced to download the patches which are basically extra
content for Counter-Strike: Source. Automatic updating with STEAM can
be disabled just as it can be with XP.

Are you on dial-up? I'm keen to find out how long it takes for the
initial decryption of the HL2 game files to complete. For me, that is
the biggest issue with HL2 via STEAM for people without Broadband.

--
Rob
Old August 14th 06, 11:05 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
ScottL

wrote:

I think relatively few people have a problem with mandatory
online activation. I mean it's nothing new, and most of us have
subjugated ourselves to it. But Valve have taken it another
nasty step further, to the point where for many people it falls
into the "there outta be a law against this" category.

How so? That's a genuine question and not a troll. I have no great
love of STEAM but I have yet to find it invasive, intrusive or in any
way detrimental to my PC or to any of my games.

See below.

This much I know: when I was shopping in the store for a new
computer game, if Valve had stated on the HL2 box that several
hours of updates via a dialup internet connection were required
before I could play the game, there's no way in hell I would have
bought it.

You can play Half-Life 2 straight out of the box. I just recently
installed HL2 and STEAM on a system that had never had either program
on and was playing the game 25 minutes later.

Nobody is forced to download the patches which are basically extra
content for Counter-Strike: Source. Automatic updating with STEAM can
be disabled just as it can be with XP.

Are you on dial-up? I'm keen to find out how long it takes for the
initial decryption of the HL2 game files to complete. For me, that is
the biggest issue with HL2 via STEAM for people without Broadband.

Here was my experience:

1. Purchased HL2 Game of the Year Edition.

2. Brought it home, installed it, Steam went online for the activation
and began an automatic update without any prompt whatsoever.

3. I waited. And waited. And waited some more. Finally I left it
running overnight. It was 85% complete when I went to bed, and
87% done when I woke up -- SIX HOURS LATER.

4. Paused the download (I had other things to get done online)
and started doing some research. Found out I should set all games
other than HL2 to not update automatically (the updates were
occurring on HL2, CS:S, Lost Coast etc simultaneously). Ok fine.

5. Resumed updating HL2 before I went to bed that night. It went
from 87% to 96% in another six hours. STILL wasn't complete,
and I STILL couldn't play any of the damned games.

6. It finally finished updating after the third night, and I still haven't
had the time to finish updating any of the other games. When I
try to play them I get a "this game is not ready" message.

Beyond absurd.

Old August 14th 06, 11:31 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rob

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 10:05:44 GMT, "ScottL"
wrote:

Beyond absurd.

I agree.

STEAM should default to having all automatic updates turned off. You
do not have to update HL2 to play it. Unless you're one of those
unlucky people that have some hardware or software issues with the
game. Then you're in the same boat as you would be with any other game
that needs patching. You either have to download the patch or pay for
a gaming magazine so that you can get the patch off of a disc
(assuming that it's distributed that way in the first place).

I don't think you even have that option with HL2, which is also very
wrong.

If you've never been able to Play HL2, have you tried uninstalling and
then reinstalling it and disabling all updates right from the off? You
should be able to easily do this then enjoy the game. It's worth it in
my opinion. Not ideal, but worth it.

What speed connection do you have? If you have any friends with
Broadband you can get them to do a backup to a DVD for you if you
really want all of the extra content. I have a friend in the Ukraine
that only has dial-up. I've sent him several DVD's worth of backups so
that he can update his games.

I'm not for a minute suggesting that it's an ideal situation. But,
much the same as we need XP to play modern games, we appear to be
stuck with STEAM if we want to play HL2.

--
Rob

Old August 14th 06, 12:20 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Larry Roberts

John Lewis wrote:
[...]

So, when you decide to move from your home, you will tear it
down (if you're the home owner) instead of selling it as not to
deprive the home building contractors business? When you decide to
purchase a new vehicle, and your current on is still operational, you
will crush it as to not deprive the car manufacturer?
Old August 14th 06, 01:52 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Walter Mitty

John Lewis wrote:
[...]

No. Why? But I cant take it with me now can I?
Old August 14th 06, 05:24 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Lewis

John Lewis wrote:
[...]

But you can take your car with you. So, have you never traded-in a
car??

( I personally tend to buy cards brand-new and donate them to
charitable organizations near the end of their lives. In the past 2
years I have donated a 22 year-old and 18-year old car. I do all of my
own routine maintenance, which has contributed to the longetivity and
reliability of the vehicles. But I have nothing at all against those
who want to trade-in their car after 2 or 3 years. Nor those who want
to trade-in any other purchased item. By the way, consistent
application of the non trade-in principle would mean not donating
items to charity shops -- again depriving the designers/manufacturers
of the ability to profit from new goods.)

Our dear friend "pc games/pcgamer..etc" seems to be not quite all
there. Time we stopped feeding him... it only bloats his ego.

John Lewis