Asus Virtual Video Capture Device Driver

Old December 7th 08, 05:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
Adrian West

Default Asus Virtual Video Capture Device Driver

A few weeks ago I added a webcam to my system (Logitech QuickCam E3500),
and ever since then I have been getting "Found New Hardware" windows
appearing on system startup. This wants me to go onto Windows Update to
search for an Asus Virtual Video Capture Device Driver, which I have tried,
but of course Windows Update won't find an Asus driver. My system has an
Asus GeForce 6600 GT card. The alternative option is to search for the
driver on an
installation CD - so I have tried that on every Asus CD that I have (I also
have an Asus A8N-E motherboard), but to no avail. I have tried the support
sections on the Asus web site, but that is a complete joke as it wants the
serial numbers of your graphics card, your motherboard and goodness knows
what else before you can even get to ask a question. All my hardware boxes
are stored up in the depths of my loft somewhere, and I simply don't have
the time to dig them out. Asus have no phone technical support for this sort
of thing, so I have given up on them. I have done a search on Google, and
there are numerous other people have the same problem, but I cannot find any
solution. The irritating thing is that this "Found New Hardware" window
appears 3-4 times, no matter how often you click on Cancel, before it
finally gives up - and even then you get a message in the System Tray saying
that the hardware did not install properly and may not work properly. As far
as I can see the webcam is working fine (although as soon as I try to use it
the same "Found New Hardware" window pops up again). I would add that the
webcam installation did complete sucessfully, which is why this error
message is so bizarre.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the webcam, and I have installed the
latest
nVidia drivers (the latest Asus drivers date back to 2005), but this error
message still appears. From the name of the driver it would not seem to be a
problem with the webcam as such.

Please can someone tell me how to fix this problem, as this is already
becoming very irritating. I have Windows XP SP3 by the way. Thanks for your
help.