is this a cpu or mobo problem?

Old August 23rd 04, 01:13 AM
jon

Default is this a cpu or mobo problem?

hi-

i have built maybe ten computers for people, and have never really had a
problem.. guess what just hit the fan. i have had boot problems of one
kind or another for 3 weeks! as i solve one problem, the box
immediately starts doing something else. i flashed the bios for the 2.8
prescott chip i put into it, etc., it STILL would not recognize the hard
drive. so i called intel, and they told me that the processor had
probably fried, and sent me another one. i just put it in, and now the
box doesn't even go through the whole boot process, and i never get a
signal to the monitor-just a signal error message. the mobo
manufacturer says it's the chip, but now i am beginning to wonder. i
though it was odd that i was only on the phone w/intel for about a
minute, and she suggested they send me another chip-no cost. i asked
her if there were any known problems with the new prescott chip, she
said no. i asked the mobo manufacturer if there are any know probs.
w/the mobo, he said no. how can i be sure that it's either one or the
other? is this new signal error simply a step that i need to take to
finish the install of the processor? what would your next step be????

thanx mucho
system specs:

asrock p4s55fx mobo
p42.8gig 1mb L2-cache
radeon 9200le video
chaintechav710sound

Old August 23rd 04, 04:33 AM
Norm Dresner

Put the new CPU into a working box. If it's okay, it'll work instantly. If
it does, you have a motherboard problem.

Norm

Old August 23rd 04, 05:42 AM
AD.

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 03:33:42 +0000, Norm Dresner wrote:

Put the new CPU into a working box. If it's okay, it'll work instantly.
If it does, you have a motherboard problem.

Bad power supply units can also cause a whole bunch of boot up weirdness.

Cheers
Anton

Old August 23rd 04, 09:02 AM
jon

it's a prescott-won't i have to flash the bios, and have a board
designated to handle the prescott chip?

Old August 23rd 04, 08:20 PM
Norm Dresner

Yes, You'll have to have a suitable computer. But you'd said that you'd
already built several so I assumed that one would be available to test with.

Norm

Old August 23rd 04, 11:43 PM
jon

yeah-unfortunately this is my first prescott chip-maybe the last. i'll
have to look at some spec sheets. thanx alot!

Old August 24th 04, 05:00 AM
gaffo

Norm Dresner wrote:

Put the new CPU into a working box. If it's okay, it'll work instantly.

not always true. i had a faulty FPU on my first IDT Winchip-2. The FPU
would work, but crap out if stressed for a few hours.

I returned the chip for another winchip-2 and it worked 100-percent.

If
it does, you have a motherboard problem.

most likely - or the power supply.

Norm

--
http://baltimorechronicle.com/041704reTreason.shtml

http://www.truthinaction.net/iraq/illegaljayne.htm

As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both
instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged.
And it is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air
-- however slight -lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas, US Supreme Court (1939-75)

"It shows us that there were senior people in the Bush administration who
were seriously contemplating the use of torture, and trying to figure out
whether there were any legal loopholes that might allow them to commit
criminal acts, They seem to be putting forward a theory that the president
in wartime can essentially do what he wants regardless of what the law
may say,"
Tom Malinowski of Human Rights Watch - commenting upon Defense
Department Lawyer
Will Dunham's 56-page legalization of torture memo.

If you add all of those up, you should have a conservative rebellion against
the giant corporation in the White House masquerading as a human being named
George W. Bush. Just as progressives have been abandoned by the corporate
Democrats and told, "You got nowhere to go other than to stay home or
vote for
the Democrats", this is the fate of the authentic conservatives in the
Republican Party.
Ralph Nader - June 2004 - The American Conservative Magazine

"But I believe in torture and I will torture you."
-An American soldier shares the joys of Democracy with
an Iraqi prisoner.

"My mother praises me for fighting the Americans. If we are killed,
our wives and mothers will rejoice that we died defending the
freedom of our country.
-Iraqi Mahdi fighter

"We were bleeding from 3 a.m. until sunrise, soon American soldiers came.
One of them kicked me to see if I was alive. I pretended I was dead
so he wouldn't kill me. The soldier was laughing, when Yousef cried,
the soldier said: "'No, stop,"
-Shihab, survivor of USSA bombing of Iraqi wedding.

"the absolute convergence of the neoconservatives with the Christian
Zionists
and the pro-Israel lobby, driving U.S. Mideast policy."
-Don Wagner, an evangelical South Carolina minister

"Bush, in Austin, criticized President Clinton's administration for
the Kosovo military action.'Victory means exit strategy, and it's important
for the president to explain to us what the exit strategy is,' Bush said."
Houston Chronicle 4/9/99

"Iraqis are sick of foreign people coming in their country and trying to
destabilize their country."
Washington, D.C., May 5, 2004

"The new administration seems to be paying no attention to the problem
of terrorism. What they will do is stagger along until there's a major
incident and then suddenly say, 'Oh my God, shouldn't we be organized
to deal with this?'"
- Paul Bremer, speaking to a McCormick Tribune Foundation conference
on terrorism in Wheaton, Ill. on Feb. 26, 2001.

"On Jan. 26, 1998, President Clinton received a letter imploring him to use
his State of the Union address to make removal of Saddam Hussein's regime
the "aim of American foreign policy" and to use military action because
"diplomacy is failing." Were Clinton to do that, the signers pledged, they
would "offer our full support in this difficult but necessary endeavor."
Signing the pledge were Elliott Abrams, Bill Bennett, John Bolton, Robert
Kagan, William Kristol, Richard Perle, Richard L. Armitage, Jeffrey
Bergner,
Paula Dobriansky, Francis Fukuyama, Zalmay Khalilzad, Peter W. Rodman,
William Schneider, Jr., Vin Weber, R. James Woolsey and Robert B. Zoellick,
Donald Rumsfeld and Paul Wolfowitz. Four years before 9/11, the neocons had
Baghdad on their minds."
-philip (usenet)

"I had better things to do in the 60s than fight in Vietnam,"
-Richard Cheney, Kerry critic.

"I hope they will understand that in order for this government to get up
and running
- to be effective - some of its sovereignty will have to be given
back, if I can put it that way,
or limited by them, It's sovereignty but [some] of that sovereignty they
are going to allow us to exercise
on their behalf and with their permission."
- Powell 4/27/04

"We're trying to explain how things are going, and they are going as they
are going," he said, adding: "Some things are going well and some things
obviously are not going well. You're going to have good days and bad days."
On the road to democracy, this "is one moment, and there will be other
moments. And there will be good moments and there will be less good
moments."
- Rumsfeld 4/6/04

"I also have this belief, strong belief, that freedom is not this
country's gift to the world; freedom is the Almighty's gift to
every man and woman in this world. And as the greatest power on
the face of the Earth, we have an obligation to help the spread
of freedom."
~ Bush the Crusader

RUSSERT: Are you prepared to lose?

BUSH: No, I'm not going to lose.

RUSSERT: If you did, what would you do?

BUSH: Well, I don't plan on losing. I've got a vision for what I want to
do for the country.
See, I know exactly where I want to lead.................And we got
changing times
here in America, too., 2/8/04

"And that's very important for, I think, the people to understand where
I'm coming from,
to know that this is a dangerous world. I wish it wasn't. I'm a war
president.
I make decisions here in the Oval Office in foreign policy matters with
war on my mind.
- pResident of the United State of America, 2/8/04

"Let's talk about the nuclear proposition for a minute. We know that
based on intelligence, that he has been very, very good at hiding
these kinds of efforts. He's had years to get good at it and we know
he has been absolutely devoted to trying to acquire nuclear weapons.
And we believe he has, in fact, reconstituted nuclear weapons."
- Vice President Dick Cheney, on "Meet the Press", 3/16/03

"I don't know anybody that I can think of who has contended that the
Iraqis had nuclear weapons."
- Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, 6/24/03

"I think in this case international law
stood in the way of doing the right thing (invading Iraq)."
- Richard Perle

"He (Saddam Hussein) has not developed any significant capability with
respect to weapons of mass destruction. He is unable to project
conventional power against his neighbours."
- Colin Powell February 24 2001

"We have been successful for the last ten years in keeping
him from developing those weapons and we will continue to be successful."

"He threatens not the United States."

"But I also thought that we had pretty
much removed his stings and frankly for ten years we really have."

'But what is interesting is that with the regime that has been in place
for the past ten years, I think a pretty good job has been done of
keeping him from breaking out and suddenly showing up one day and saying
"look what I got." He hasn't been able to do that.'
- Colin Powell February 26 2001
Old August 24th 04, 05:04 AM
gaffo

jon wrote:

[...]

buy another Power Supply - Prescotts take alot of power - and you are
probably running underpowered.

I lived with a faulty power supply for two yrs!!!!!!!!! - thinking they
only "blew" as they have eventually done on me. I didn't know you could
have a power supply that "kinda worked" for yrs!

anyway - I replaced my power supply with another of the same rating and
my unstable POS locking up every night, BSOD, VIA-based buggy
board..............is now STABLE!

30-bucks, give it a try.