MSI 6163 Pro problems.

Old November 29th 03, 11:07 AM
~misfit~

Default MSI 6163 Pro problems.

I have three of the above-named boards and have always been happy with them.
All have the 'blue sticker' denoting coppermine-compatibility and, up until
a day or two ago, all of them were in fact running coppermine celerons in
slockets with no problems.

I was given a mobo/CPU combo to trouble-shoot. It had been spontaneously
re-booting and had been replaced as it was in a server. The board is an
three year old Abit BX 133 RAID (Socket 370, coppermine-capable), nice
looking board. The CPU was previously a celly 600 but had been upgraded a
year ago to a tualatin celly 1.3 in an upgradeware socket adapter (370ug?).

Anyway, after trying several PSUs on the Abit it kept doing the same thing.
Booting up fine, I could go into the BIOS, I even tried putting a HDD and
CDROM on it and started loading an OS but after 30 seconds to a minute it
re-boots.I had a good look at the board and I noticed that, of the 25 or so
large electrolytic capacitors (caps) around the CPU area, ten had bulging
tops. Ok, I figured that was the problem, the board is shot or in need of
repair. Just to be sure I tried the adapter/tualatin in one of my 6163
pro/coppermine slocket set ups. (After setting the CPU parameters in BIOS to
'auto'.)

No boot, all four diagnostic LEDs on the board red and the LED in the CDROM
and on the NIC flashing on and off every second or so. Hmmm, that was a
slocket I'd modified myself to take a coppermine so I thought that may be
the problem. So next I tried it in one of the other board/slcoket combos,
this one with an MSI Master slocket. Same scenario, no boot, all LEDs red. I
should mention on both of these boards I also tried clearing the CMOS, using
the jumper, with the PSU unplugged and discharged.

Not wanting to pull apart the machine I use as a server/internet gateway for
my LAN I didn't try it in the third 6163 pro I have running. I put the
tualtin/adapter combo back in the Abit and it booted again, but kept
re-booting after 30 seconds or so. So I figure the CPU/adapter is probably
OK. (The Abit reports the CPU as a PIII at 1.3GHz.)

Now for the interesting bit. Neither of the boards I tried the tualatin in
will run coppermines anymore! I've spent two days playing with them,
clearing CMOS, changing settings and nothing! No boot, no POST, all
diagnostic LEDs red. They both run fine with mendicino cellys in them in
slockets but just won't run coppermines. So now I have two machines running
400Mhz CPUs and two 900MHz CPUs sitting on my shelf.

Can anyone shed any light on this strange phenomena? Spajky? I don't know
what to do next, the machines running 400s aren't up to the job I use them
for anymore.

Help!
--
~misfit~

Old November 29th 03, 07:05 PM
Spajky

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 00:07:26 +1300, "~misfit~"
wrote:

I was given a mobo/CPU combo to trouble-shoot.
had been upgraded a
year ago to a tualatin celly 1.3 in an upgradeware socket adapter (370ug?)....

Just to be sure I tried the adapter/tualatin in one of my 6163
pro/coppermine slocket set ups. (After setting the CPU parameters in BIOS to
'auto'.)

No boot, all four diagnostic LEDs on the board red and the LED

Hmmm, that was a
slocket I'd modified myself to take a coppermine so I thought that may be
the problem. So next I tried it in one of the other board/slcoket combos,
this one with an MSI Master slocket. Same scenario, no boot, all LEDs red.

Not wanting to pull apart the machine I use as a server/internet gateway for
my LAN I didn't try it in the third 6163 pro I have running.

wise idea!

Now for the interesting bit. Neither of the boards I tried the tualatin in
will run coppermines anymore!
They both run fine with mendicino cellys in them in
slockets but just won't run coppermines. So now I have two machines running
400Mhz CPUs and two 900MHz CPUs sitting on my shelf.

Can anyone shed any light on this strange phenomena? Spajky?

bad news!
IMHO
you fried both your PPGA2Fcpga modded
slotkets

(I had same problem with mine & friends slotket once- one damaged
did not wanna run Cu-Mines, the other mendoncinos any more, but we
were lucky & interchanged slotkets, after that both we
were happy :-)

IMHO slot-t slotkets can run also Cu-mines (20$ or so a piece), but
not sure; check upgradeware.com

as IR, no ppga2Fcpga slotkets upgraded with fcpga2fcpga-II or further
modded worked properly with Tuallies, but i could be misinformed;

also those fcpga2fcpga-II should be mounted only to already factory
cu-mine capapable (fcpga) & even then was not 100% guaranteed to work
on all of them!
(I heard about few cheap ones that did not wanna work in last year)

anyway check
http://www.geocities.com/_lunchbox/
http://www.geocities.com/_lunchbox/genericslotket.html

IMHO anyway your are lucky since you have those (same as mine) boards;
very very dificult to kill them because of excellent protection
integrated; with another MoBo-s could be the story worse!

Anyway, sorry for your slotkets!
(sell them together with Mendocinos later!)

-- Regards, SPAJKY
& visit site - http://www.spajky.vze.com
Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
Old November 30th 03, 12:53 AM
P2B

wrote:

[...]

Slot-Ts definitely support Coppermines, single or dual processor -
speaking from personal experience

Old November 30th 03, 10:46 AM
~misfit~

wrote:
Can anyone shed any light on this strange phenomena? Spajky?

bad news!
IMHO
you fried both your PPGA2Fcpga modded
slotkets

I thought that too at first but I have yet another Cu-mine CPU on a modded
slocket that worked fine in both those boards before but now won't boot
either.

I fear I may have done some damage to the boards.

I've since tried the 370UG adapter ih a Jetway 911AF board, Upgradeware says
it's compatible, but it doesn't work their either. I tried it back in the
BX133 and it still POSTs so I don't think it's the CPU/adapter.

(I had same problem with mine & friends slotket once- one damaged
did not wanna run Cu-Mines, the other mendoncinos any more, but we
were lucky & interchanged slotkets, after that both we
were happy :-)

IMHO slot-t slotkets can run also Cu-mines (20$ or so a piece), but
not sure; check upgradeware.com

as IR, no ppga2Fcpga slotkets upgraded with fcpga2fcpga-II or further
modded worked properly with Tuallies, but i could be misinformed;

also those fcpga2fcpga-II should be mounted only to already factory
cu-mine capapable (fcpga) & even then was not 100% guaranteed to work
on all of them!
(I heard about few cheap ones that did not wanna work in last year)

anyway check
http://www.geocities.com/_lunchbox/
http://www.geocities.com/_lunchbox/genericslotket.html

I just had a look at the second link and it's an identical slocket to one I
had in my drawer so I just spent an hour doing the mods they outlined. I
soldered wee jumper wires on the back of the slocket as I don't have any
conductive paint. However it wouldn't boot in one of my 6163s. Maybe I
didn't insulate the 8 pins well enough, I used the tape method.

It seems I didn't damage the Tui, I put it back in the adapter and the BX133
and it still POSTs.

IMHO anyway your are lucky since you have those (same as mine) boards;
very very dificult to kill them because of excellent protection
integrated; with another MoBo-s could be the story worse!

Anyway, sorry for your slotkets!
(sell them together with Mendocinos later!)

Thanks Spajky,
--
~misfit~

Gigabyte GA-NSNXP-939 Problems Paul AMD x86-64 Processors 5 December 31st 04 05:59 AM
Sapphire Radeon 9800SE + Shuttle machine = Problems Jiri Kuukasjärvi General 2 September 12th 04 11:17 AM
Modem Problems JH General 5 February 2nd 04 07:46 PM
Major Computer Problems Toronto Garage Door Company Overclocking 5 December 7th 03 05:54 AM
Major Computer Problems Toronto Garage Door Company General 20 November 13th 03 09:41 PM