overclocking asus p4p800vm

Old November 20th 03, 11:28 PM
james mcnutt

Default overclocking asus p4p800vm

Is there any way to overclock a asus P4P800VM motherboard? Asus does not say
this board supports it, but I have heard that this board is overclockable.

Old November 21st 03, 09:07 AM
ElJerid

"james mcnutt" wrote in message
news
Is there any way to overclock a asus P4P800VM motherboard? Asus does not

say
this board supports it, but I have heard that this board is overclockable.

It' s one of the better boards for ock'ing. Take care however for memory.
DDR at 400 MHz (PC3200) don't like to run faster than rated speed and should
be set at 4:5, or purchased for higher speed than 400 (2x200) MHz, f.ex.
PC3700.

Old November 21st 03, 11:08 PM
end user

I am using corsair pc3700 XMS (2*512), p4p800dlx, Pent 4 2.8 HT.

OS is XP pro sp1.

standard 20% overclock to 3.36 (cpu)

Rock stable, memtest run for 8 hours without any error.

I am certain that I can overclock more but .5gig is not worth it in
time spent.

Locust

Old November 22nd 03, 10:14 AM
ElJerid

"end user" wrote in message
I am using corsair pc3700 XMS (2*512), p4p800dlx, Pent 4 2.8 HT.

OS is XP pro sp1.

standard 20% overclock to 3.36 (cpu)

Rock stable, memtest run for 8 hours without any error.

I am certain that I can overclock more but .5gig is not worth it in
time spent.

Locust

You made the good choice by purchasing PC3700, as it's rated speed is 462
(2x231) MHz, which gives you spare room to overclock from your P4P800 with
fsb at 200 MHz. On top, I think that when you use the % overclock on the
P4P800, the mem speed is automatically set at spd settings and thus not
overclocked.

Old November 23rd 03, 01:30 AM
end user

What do you mean by spd setting?

Also it is my understanding that the bios 20% overclocking increases
all parameters including both memory & fsb.

locust

Old November 23rd 03, 05:56 AM
~misfit~

end user wrote:
What do you mean by spd setting?

SPD = Serial Presence Detect. The mobo reads the memory module's
capabilities from a chip on the module and adjusts the settings accordingly.
--
~misfit~

Old November 23rd 03, 09:25 AM
ElJerid

"~misfit~" wrote in message
end user wrote:
What do you mean by spd setting?

SPD = Serial Presence Detect. The mobo reads the memory module's
capabilities from a chip on the module and adjusts the settings

accordingly.
--
~misfit~

Also it is my understanding that the bios 20% overclocking increases
all parameters including both memory & fsb.

Misfit explained the meaning of SPD. More specifically, on the P4P800 (and
most motherboards) mem speed is set by default to SPD, unless you set this
to "manual" in the advanced settings, where you can set the speed like you
want. If the mem speed was increased like the fsb, there is only little
chance that your system would boot, because 400 MHz ram is not able to be
overclocked with more than a few procents ( 0 - 5 %).

Old November 23rd 03, 11:28 PM
end user

Thank you all

Locust

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 09:25:46 GMT, "ElJerid"