AMD-64 3000 + GA-K8N. Unexpected power-downs

Old December 1st 04, 09:47 PM
Robert S

Default AMD-64 3000 + GA-K8N. Unexpected power-downs

I have a machine with a GA-K8N motherboard and AMD-64 3000+ processor,
running as a unattended server. Over the last couple of weeks it has
unexpectedly powered down, always in the middle of the afternoon.
There have been no messages in the system log.

I bought it at the local computer fair - which always makes one
suspect the quality of the components.

Its just getting into the Aussie summer and we've had a bit of a
heatwave and I wonder if it is related to overheating of either the
CPU or the motherboard. The internal fans seem to be working OK.

Are there heating issues with this motherboard or processor?

If there is no resolution I might be forced to replace the CPU or the
motherboard on spec. Would it be a good bet that the problem's with
the motherboard, or should I replace the AMD fan with a third party
one?

TIA.
Old December 1st 04, 10:41 PM
baskitcaise

Robert S adjusted his/her tin foil beanie and asbestos underwear to
write:

I have a machine with a GA-K8N motherboard and AMD-64 3000+ processor,
running as a unattended server. Over the last couple of weeks it has
unexpectedly powered down, always in the middle of the afternoon.
There have been no messages in the system log.

I had a machine a couple of years ago used as a server that would do
that, turned out that the sun would shine on it at certain times of the
day and it would over heat, just moved it out of the sun and all was
fine.

HTH

--
Mark
Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Old December 1st 04, 11:16 PM
Just Surfing

Overheating would be my first guess. Make sure all of the system fans are
running and not clogged up with dust.

Old December 1st 04, 11:27 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 12:47:27 -0800, Robert S wrote:

[...]

Do you have a UPS on the system? A power glitch caused by either the power
company or by something as simple as an air conditioner tuning on could
cause that symptom. It could also be heat, you might want to add a fan to
the box. Is there anything in the system logs? (/var/log/messages on
Linux, don't know where they are on Windows).

Old December 2nd 04, 04:57 AM
Alan Walpool

Had a similiar problem twice. Turned out to be a bad power supply in
both cases. However, as others have mentioned make sure your system is
not overheating also.

Good luck.

"Robert" == Robert S writes:

Robert I have a machine with a GA-K8N motherboard and AMD-64 3000+
Robert processor, running as a unattended server. Over the last
Robert couple of weeks it has unexpectedly powered down, always in
Robert the middle of the afternoon. There have been no messages in
Robert the system log.

Robert I bought it at the local computer fair - which always makes
Robert one suspect the quality of the components.

Robert Its just getting into the Aussie summer and we've had a bit
Robert of a heatwave and I wonder if it is related to overheating of
Robert either the CPU or the motherboard. The internal fans seem to
Robert be working OK.

Robert Are there heating issues with this motherboard or processor?

Robert If there is no resolution I might be forced to replace the
Robert CPU or the motherboard on spec. Would it be a good bet that
Robert the problem's with the motherboard, or should I replace the
Robert AMD fan with a third party one?

Robert TIA.
Old December 11th 04, 07:49 AM
Shawn B.

I have a AMD-64 3500+ Socket 939 and originally had the GA-K8NSNXP-939 MOBO
and it would randomly reset itself at-will about once every 15 minutes or
less. I usually couldn't even get through installing Windows before it
would reboot. After changing the memory, power supply, sound card, video
card, and hard disks (from SATA to IDE) and changing the motherboard
thinking it was defective for the same brand and having the same problem, I
finally ended up getting an Asus AI mobo and never had a problem since.

Thanks,
Shawn

m...

Old December 11th 04, 10:49 AM
Wes Newell

"Robert S" wrote in message
m...
I have a machine with a GA-K8N motherboard and AMD-64 3000+ processor,
running as a unattended server. Over the last couple of weeks it has
unexpectedly powered down, always in the middle of the afternoon.
There have been no messages in the system log.

I bought it at the local computer fair - which always makes one
suspect the quality of the components.

Its just getting into the Aussie summer and we've had a bit of a
heatwave and I wonder if it is related to overheating of either the
CPU or the motherboard. The internal fans seem to be working OK.

Are there heating issues with this motherboard or processor?

I don't know. What do your temps show in the hot afternoon?

If there is no resolution I might be forced to replace the CPU or the
motherboard on spec. Would it be a good bet that the problem's with
the motherboard, or should I replace the AMD fan with a third party
one?

The AMD cooler is ok as long as the system is kept in a controlled
environment, but if the room is getting over 30C you might want to remove
the side cover as case temps may be reaching 40C and above which really
puts a strain on any cooler to keep the cpu cool. If heat isn't the
problem I'd suspect power or ram. Lower the ram bus to 166MHz and see if
that fixes it. PSU could be overheating and failing also.

basic power problem BrianBloodaxe General 19 July 26th 04 08:48 PM
Is power for Duron nealry all at 12 volts? kony General 3 April 7th 04 12:35 AM
PSU Fans Muttly General 16 February 13th 04 11:42 PM
How can I make motherboard to restart after power loss automatically? Amiran General 1 September 24th 03 11:35 PM
how to give energy to USB devices? with notebook off!!! andrea rossi General 10 September 12th 03 08:54 PM