80G formatting

Old July 27th 03, 05:06 AM
Stacey

chris wrote:

I bought yesterday a new 80 G (8M cache) hard drive and when I tried to
use
Fdisk or Partition Magic to format it both programs showed that disk
was divided 8M and 76G.

Use the manufacturers format software.

--

Stacey
Old July 27th 03, 05:26 PM
Some One

"chris" wrote in message
I bought yesterday a new 80 G (8M cache) hard drive and when I tried

use
Fdisk or Partition Magic to format it both programs showed that

disk
was divided 8M and 76G.

I couldn't delete 8M part which is obviously useless.

Did you contact the manufacturer?

Old July 27th 03, 06:39 PM
Cari

80gb formats as 76.3gb. It's the old 1.44mb = 1mb thing.

Cari
www.coribright.com

"chris" wrote in message
I bought yesterday a new 80 G (8M cache) hard drive and when I tried to
use
Fdisk or Partition Magic to format it both programs showed that disk
was divided 8M and 76G.

I couldn't delete 8M part which is obviously useless.

Anyway it works but I disabled 8M part of the disk to get off the letter

showing in Windows 8m hard drive which with its capacity was piece of
rubbish.

Is this the nature of 80G seagate or I bought a faulty disk?

Thanks,

Chris

Old July 27th 03, 09:21 PM
ChrisJ9876

From: "S.Heenan"

From: chris

I bought yesterday a new 80 G (8M cache) hard drive and when I
tried to
use
Fdisk or Partition Magic to format it both programs showed that
disk
was divided 8M and 76G.

I couldn't delete 8M part which is obviously useless.

Anyway it works but I disabled 8M part of the disk to get off the
letter

showing in Windows 8m hard drive which with its capacity was piece
of rubbish.

Is this the nature of 80G seagate or I bought a faulty disk?

Thanks,

Chris

That's normal. I've got a IBM 40gig drive that Partition Magic shows
7.8meg as unallocated. Can't explain why -- maybe somebody else can.
But it shouldn't show up with a drive letter assigned to it, since
it's unallocated. Not sure what you mean by "disabled it".

I gave up.
Even when I used the the manufacturers formatting software (seagate)
I couldn't get read of 7.8M.
I set up it as unallocated and forget for a while.
I think that probably no one knows what to do with this problem..

Chris

The 8MB partition contains the MFT.

--

The MFT, by definition, is only used by NTFS, and is contained within the
partition, just as the FAT is contained within a FAT or FAT32 partition. The

Old July 28th 03, 03:49 AM
Starz_Kid

Hello Chris, Every time that I've formatted a drive as a logical, i've
ended
up with an unallocated 8MB partition on the drive! With Win XP, you can
have as
many active (NON Logical) drives as you like! So I no longer format
drives as logical and no more wasted 8MB unallocated space!

Starz_Kid...

Old July 28th 03, 02:42 PM
ChrisJ9876

That refers to Windows2000 setup, which has never been on or near any of my
macines in any way, shape, or form. Not sure that this is the same situation.

From: Andy

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;225822
Setup Reserves Disk Space for Upgrading to Dynamic Disk
Some space at the end of the disk is reserved by Setup in case you
later want to upgrade the disk to a dynamic disk. Dynamic disk
information is saved at the end of the disk. The amount that is
reserved is a minimum of one cylinder, or 1MB, whichever is greater.
One cylinder can be up to 8MB, depending on drive geometry and
translation.

On 27 Jul 2003 20:21:11 GMT, ospam (ChrisJ9876)

From: "S.Heenan"

Old July 30th 03, 08:54 AM
Wouter

"chris" wrote in message
I bought yesterday a new 80 G (8M cache) hard drive and when I tried to
use
Fdisk or Partition Magic to format it both programs showed that disk
was divided 8M and 76G.

I couldn't delete 8M part which is obviously useless.

Anyway it works but I disabled 8M part of the disk to get off the letter

showing in Windows 8m hard drive which with its capacity was piece of
rubbish.

Is this the nature of 80G seagate or I bought a faulty disk?

Thanks,

Chris

This behaviour is perfectly normal.

I assume you're writing about an extra harddisk (not the first one). The
partitions you've created are probably logical. Logical partitions are
inside an extended partition. A (physical) disk can contain at most 4
primary partitions, or 3 primary and an extended partition, but must at
least contain 1 primary partition.
When you create a logical partition, a primary partition will be created
first. This partition will be the smallest possible size, because it won't
be used. The smallest possible size is often 7.8 MB (that depends on the
drive geometry).

Solution: If you can use a primary partition, and really bother about the
unused 8MB, then first create the primary partition, and then add the
logical partitions.

By the way, if the 8MB partition is "unformatted" Windows won't recognize
it, and won't assign a drive letter. In your case, it was probably formatted
as FAT or NTFS.