Problems Installing VGA Silencer (rev 3) on 9800Pro

Old August 16th 04, 03:28 AM
Patrick Michael

Default Problems Installing VGA Silencer (rev 3) on 9800Pro

I bought a made-by-ATI 256MB 9800Pro from newegg
(http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...102-361&depa=1
), as well as a VGA Silencer cooling fan
(http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...186-110&depa=1
). The VGA silencer says it's compatible with "boards based on ATI
9500-9800", but apparently not with mine!

The problem is that there's a 3-pin power connector for the fan on my 9800
board, but the VGA silencer only comes with a 2-pin connector. Is there any
kind of adaptor or easy way to splice the wires to power the VGA silencer's
fan?

Old August 16th 04, 03:30 AM
Patrick Michael

"Patrick Michael" wrote in message
I bought a made-by-ATI 256MB 9800Pro from newegg

(http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...102-361&depa=1
), as well as a VGA Silencer cooling fan

(http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...186-110&depa=1
). The VGA silencer says it's compatible with "boards based on ATI
9500-9800", but apparently not with mine!

The problem is that there's a 3-pin power connector for the fan on my 9800
board, but the VGA silencer only comes with a 2-pin connector. Is there

any
kind of adaptor or easy way to splice the wires to power the VGA

silencer's
fan?

OK, I see I'm not the only one having this problem (as evidenced by some of
the reviews). Still, I'm hesitant to just plug it into 2 of the 3 wires.. I
don't want to fry anything.

Old August 16th 04, 04:59 AM
First of One

Hmm, looks like you got the new PCB design that's shared with the 9800XT.
Old-style 9800Pros have the two-pin connector.

Conventional color scheme says

red = 12 V
black = ground
white = RPM monitoring

Make sure the 12 V and ground lines from the VGA Silencer go where the OEM
red and black wires used to connect to. You may have to swap connectors with
the OEM harness using a sharp pick.

Old August 17th 04, 01:42 AM
Geoff

Patrick Michael wrote:
I bought a made-by-ATI 256MB 9800Pro from newegg
(http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...102-361&depa=1
), as well as a VGA Silencer cooling fan
(http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...186-110&depa=1
). The VGA silencer says it's compatible with "boards based on ATI
9500-9800", but apparently not with mine!

The problem is that there's a 3-pin power connector for the fan on my
9800 board, but the VGA silencer only comes with a 2-pin connector.
Is there any kind of adaptor or easy way to splice the wires to power
the VGA silencer's fan?

just look at the old heatsink and it's wires
2 are for power, 1 is for the fan sensor, just remove the plastic bit off
the board and plug it into the same connecters, if you have the same one i
installed a month or so ago yo will find the fan will only run backwards
anyway

Old August 17th 04, 04:12 AM
Patrick Michael

"First of One" wrote in message
.rogers.com...
Hmm, looks like you got the new PCB design that's shared with the 9800XT.
Old-style 9800Pros have the two-pin connector.

Conventional color scheme says

red = 12 V
black = ground
white = RPM monitoring

Make sure the 12 V and ground lines from the VGA Silencer go where the OEM
red and black wires used to connect to. You may have to swap connectors

with
the OEM harness using a sharp pick.

Thanks, FIrst of One. This was probably a fairly obvious solution, but I am
not the best when it comes to electronics and wires

Anyway, I did as you said and the connector went on pretty easily.
Thankfully, the white pin was on one end and the red and black pins were in
the correct order on the other end...no swapping or splicing was required.

The fan spins up and the VGA silencer heatsink seems considerably cooler. I
think I will let it run for a while to ensure stability before I do any
overclocking. Thanks again!

Old August 19th 04, 03:36 AM
First of One

This is good to know.

Anyway, while taking off the stock heat sink, you've probably noticed it's a
R360 core. Now go overclock away. 9800XT speeds should be a starting point.