What is an nVidia GeForce FX5200 graphics card?

Old February 1st 04, 02:45 AM
Brian

Default What is an nVidia GeForce FX5200 graphics card?

Strange question I know, but for someone that does not know a lot
about different video cards then I'm hoping to learn more.

I have a AMD 1900 XT processor in my computer and seem to think that a
nVidia GeForce FX5200 is the best suited graphics card for my AGP
slot. Correct me if I'm wrong. I enjoy playing MS Flight Simulator
2004 which needs an fast graphics card.
I feel if I get a graphics card in the 9000 series then my processor
is not fast enough to keep up with the graphics card and there may be
a bigger load on the processor.
I was also considering a nVidia GeForce4 MX 440 series but they may be
a slower graphics card suited to a slower computer such as a Pent II
300Mhz.
Like I said please correct me if I'm wrong.
I welcome some help in this matter.

Regards Brian

Old February 1st 04, 12:26 PM
Bobby

The FX5200 is a good choice for your current set-up. That would be my
recommendation for you. If you can afford it, the Ultra version is a big
improvement over the standard version. The ATI 9600 is also a good mid-range
card (but much more expensive than an FX5200).

Whatever card you buy, get one that supports DirectX v9 since it would be
silly to get one that doesn't (the FX5200 does).

And ignore the graphics snobs who will recommend that you spend $2,500 on an
ATI Radeon 9990 XT GTI Pro "otherwise whatever you buy will be obsolete in
two weeks".

Bobby

news

Old February 1st 04, 12:37 PM
Daren Evans

Need to know a little more about your motherboard but an Nvidia 5200 will be
way to slow. An Ahlon 1900 XP may not be the fastest chip on the block
anymore but should be more than fast enough to keep a 9600 XT happy. I have
compared 3dmark2003 bencmarks between my rig, Athlon 2400XP and 9600XT
graphics card, with a similar system but with a 2100XP Athlon processor and
the 3dmarks were almost identical.

Spend a few quid and MS Flight simulator 2004 will appreciate it.

"Brian" wrote in message
news
Strange question I know, but for someone that does not know a lot
about different video cards then I'm hoping to learn more.

I have a AMD 1900 XT processor in my computer and seem to think that a
nVidia GeForce FX5200 is the best suited graphics card for my AGP
slot. Correct me if I'm wrong. I enjoy playing MS Flight Simulator
2004 which needs an fast graphics card.
I feel if I get a graphics card in the 9000 series then my processor
is not fast enough to keep up with the graphics card and there may be
a bigger load on the processor.
I was also considering a nVidia GeForce4 MX 440 series but they may be
a slower graphics card suited to a slower computer such as a Pent II
300Mhz.
Like I said please correct me if I'm wrong.
I welcome some help in this matter.

Regards Brian

---

Old February 1st 04, 02:58 PM
Ben Pope

Brian wrote:
Strange question I know, but for someone that does not know a lot
about different video cards then I'm hoping to learn more.

I have a AMD 1900 XT processor in my computer and seem to think that a
nVidia GeForce FX5200 is the best suited graphics card for my AGP
slot.

What motherboard do you have, and what AGP does it support?

The 5200 is not a particularly fast card and would easily be the bottleneck
in your system. How much RAM do you have?

Correct me if I'm wrong. I enjoy playing MS Flight Simulator
2004 which needs an fast graphics card.
I feel if I get a graphics card in the 9000 series then my processor
is not fast enough to keep up with the graphics card and there may be
a bigger load on the processor.

The processor will do it's processory things and the graphics card will do
it's thing. A fast graphics card might load the CPU more than a slow one,
but it would be silly to buy a graphics card that is the bottleneck in order
to reduce the load on the CPU. I'd recommend an ATI 9600 or similar
(provided your motherboard can take it). If/when you get a processor
upgrade you'll get an extra boost from it.

I was also considering a nVidia GeForce4 MX 440 series but they may be
a slower graphics card suited to a slower computer such as a Pent II
300Mhz.

The MX range is worthless crap for gaming.

Ben

Old February 2nd 04, 02:38 AM
Brian

My motherboard is a GA-7vtxe / 7vtxh via kt266a AGPset
The AGP mode is 1x,2x or 4x
The AGP aperture size goes up to 256Mb

Regards Brian

Old February 2nd 04, 10:14 AM
Ben Pope

Brian wrote:
My motherboard is a GA-7vtxe / 7vtxh via kt266a AGPset
The AGP mode is 1x,2x or 4x
The AGP aperture size goes up to 256Mb

That'll be fine then.

Ben

Old February 2nd 04, 01:58 PM
Dark Avenger

Brian wrote in message . ..
Strange question I know, but for someone that does not know a lot
about different video cards then I'm hoping to learn more.

I have a AMD 1900 XT processor in my computer and seem to think that a
nVidia GeForce FX5200 is the best suited graphics card for my AGP
slot. Correct me if I'm wrong. I enjoy playing MS Flight Simulator
2004 which needs an fast graphics card.
I feel if I get a graphics card in the 9000 series then my processor
is not fast enough to keep up with the graphics card and there may be
a bigger load on the processor.
I was also considering a nVidia GeForce4 MX 440 series but they may be
a slower graphics card suited to a slower computer such as a Pent II
300Mhz.
Like I said please correct me if I'm wrong.
I welcome some help in this matter.

Regards Brian

The FX5200 is not the fastest... And if you got one with a 64-bits
memory bus..you are in deep trouble as it won't be faster as an GF2!

The best suited card is always the one that is the fastest! Because if
you think upgrade, you think upgrading part by part!

But in this case...mmm.. a test done says that Flight Simulator 2004
looks better on an Ati 9600 Pro/Xt, but the framerates are most stable
on an FX5700 Ultra... ah ..your choice!
Old February 3rd 04, 10:47 AM
Darthy

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 11:26:25 -0000, "Bobby" wrote:

The FX5200 is a good choice for your current set-up. That would be my
recommendation for you. If you can afford it, the Ultra version is a big
improvement over the standard version. The ATI 9600 is also a good mid-range
card (but much more expensive than an FX5200).

fx5200 would be more power if used on a 700Mhz P3 or 2ghz Celeron
setup. But we've seen posts where a GF3 is BETTER - even on a celeron
2.6ghz (which is about the speed of a 1.1Ghz P3).

Whatever card you buy, get one that supports DirectX v9 since it would be
silly to get one that doesn't (the FX5200 does).

Yeah... like a Ti4200 which would spank it. DX9 ability doesn't mean
**** if the card only provides 1-5fps.... which is what the 5200 does
(and ATI9600se).

And ignore the graphics snobs who will recommend that you spend $2,500 on an
ATI Radeon 9990 XT GTI Pro "otherwise whatever you buy will be obsolete in
two weeks".

??? Never heard of a $2500 ATI 9990XT GTI Pro? Got specs. The 5200
was obsolete when Nvidia farted it out of their engineering
department.

When someone says they want a good low cost FAST card... there isn't
much point in having them waste money on a POS 5200... where spending
a bit more money would get desired results.

There are posts all the time of people RETURNING their 5200 and 5600s
because of crappy gaming performance.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old February 3rd 04, 10:57 AM
Darthy

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 14:45:10 +1300, Brian wrote:

Strange question I know, but for someone that does not know a lot
about different video cards then I'm hoping to learn more.

I have a AMD 1900 XT processor in my computer and seem to think that a
nVidia GeForce FX5200 is the best suited graphics card for my AGP
slot. Correct me if I'm wrong. I enjoy playing MS Flight Simulator
2004 which needs an fast graphics card.

- 5200 is best suited for email / desktop functions and games made in
2001 or older.
- If you need a fast graphics card, that does NOT apply to the 5200.

While compared to the 2 year old Ti4200, it is NOT considerd a slow
card. Old yes.. but respectable.

I feel if I get a graphics card in the 9000 series then my processor
is not fast enough to keep up with the graphics card and there may be
a bigger load on the processor.

Your AMD XP 1900 is fine. From your other post, if you feel the need,
you should be able to upgrade to a 266mhz AMD 2400 or 2600 CPU. Check
the website for bios updates.

I was also considering a nVidia GeForce4 MX 440 series but they may be
a slower graphics card suited to a slower computer such as a Pent II
300Mhz.

Maybe worse than the 5200... depends on the 5200... theres 5 different
flavors of it.

Recommended cards:

MIN: fx5600Ultra
Recommended : ATI 9600XT, maybe PRO if really cheap.