Hey! I found the 60HZ dialog box!

Old October 12th 03, 02:59 AM
Thomas A. Horsley

Default Hey! I found the 60HZ dialog box!

There was a thread here recently about folks (like me) with a Radeon 9200
that only does 60HZ refresh no matter what the Monitor property page setting
was.

There was a pointer to an ATI knowledge base page that says there should be
an "Advanced" button on the Monitor page (there isn't :-).

However, over on the "Displays" page, if you click the button that says
"Monitor" (perhaps that is the origin of the confusion), then you do get a
new dialog box, which, among other things, has a max refresh rate setting
(which is set to 60 by default apparently).

This seems a lot like the "pixel hunt" feature that people hate in video
games - I think it is even worse in user interfaces that aren't supposed
to be games.

In any case, I can now run my monitor at higher than 60HZ :-).

Here's the full path to find the dialog:

Right click on desktop
Pick "Properties"
Select "Settings" page.
Click "Advanced" button
Select "Displays" page
Click the word "Monitor" that looks like it
is merely a label above the picture of the
monitor, but is apparently actually a button.
Select the "Attributes" page
On that page is a Maximum Refresh control
you can set to something higher than 60HZ.

Of course, this still isn't quite as bad as trying to get my Mom's laptop
(nvidia card) to display DVDs on the TV-out (that took about 30 minutes
then another 45 to get the display back to normal again :-).
--
== The *Best* political site URL:http://www.vote-smart.org/ ==+

email: icbm: Delray Beach, FL |
URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley Free Software and Politics ==+
Old October 12th 03, 08:22 AM
Strontium

Also, make sure to select 'same as desktop', in the dropdown box.
Otherwise, programs (read: Winblows) will hijack the refresh rate back down
to 60Hz.

-
Thomas A. Horsley stood up at show-n-tell, in , and
said:

[...]

:-).
== The *Best* political site URL:http://www.vote-smart.org/
==+

email:
icbm: Delray Beach, FL
| URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley Free Software and Politics
==+

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old October 12th 03, 03:47 PM
Bratboy

FYI, For nvidia cards you really need TVTool as it simplifies the whole TV
out process including Overscan, simple hot key switching from comp to TV etc
and I think he still only askes for something like $12 for lifetime of
upgrades. When I was using Nvidia based cards this had to be my most fav and
usefull app. You might want to take a look at it as I think the Demo will do
TV out for 10 min before switching back which would give ya enough time to
see if its a help or bother.