Video computer questions

Old July 12th 03, 07:23 PM
Eddie W. Stroud

Default Video computer questions

I don't quite understand some of your comments. As the DVI output, are you
referring to the connection of your computer to your computer monitor? I
thought all Sony's have an IEEE-1394 Firewire port. That's what I would want
to output video back to a camcorder. The VGA/DVI port issue would be
irrelevant as to getting video to a DVD-RW burner. Playing a DVD is another
matter.

A lot of articles would consider DVD-RW to be more compatible than DVD+RW.
Check www.dvdrhelp.com. They have some compatibility lists, yours might be
included.

It doesn't seem to me that your video card is too critical in the
capture/creation of DVD process, only in playing video on your computer. If
you plan to watch DVD's on your Emerson player, it might not make much
difference.

Ed

"Danny Deger" wrote in message
I am seriously thinking about buying a Sony desktop from Tiger Direct for
$899. It is marketed as an entry video machine.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ls.asp?sku=S16
7-3152%20P

I couldn't come close to buying the components and putting a machine
together for this price. But, I am concern about its video "card" which

is:
"64MB Intel 845G Integrated Graphics [shared]" and its DVD-RW burner.

First, it doesn't have a DVI output. I have a DVI monitor and a DVI cable
that I plan to use. If I go to analog VGA, will I loose much?

Second, is the built in "shared" video OK in the long run. I have been

told
to watch for built in video, it typically doesn't have anywhere close to

the
power of a dedicated card.

Third, the machine doesn't have an AGP slot for a video card is I don't

like
the lack of DVI and current video performance. It only has PCI slots. I
current have a Radeon 7000 PCI on an older machine, that works OK. But I
don't do video processing and games? Will PCI only video card be a

problem
for video and games? I don't plan on doing sophisticated video

processing.
Taking my digital camcorder video to a DVD is about all I need to do. I
don't need superb video performance, but don't want to be stuck with a dog
if PCI is a dog.

Fourth, I have an Emerson DVD player. Is there anyway to check
compatibility of the DVD writer to my player (the computer comes with a
DVD-RW, which isn't as good as DVD+RW for compatibility). Compatibility
with DVD players is important to me, but how can I spec a computer to burn
compatible DVDs? Should I insist on DVD+RW?

Danny Deger

Old July 12th 03, 07:38 PM
Danny Deger

"Eddie W. Stroud" wrote in message
[...]

The computer has a firewire, which I will use to go from camcorder to
computer. The DVI is to get from the computer to the monitor. The computer
doesn't have one, it has only a VGA. I spent extra to get a monitor and a
cable for DVI, but my monitor also has VGA. Will I loose quality to go back
to VGA vs. DVI from my computer to my monitor.

Thanks for you reply. Your comment on DVD-RW vs. DVD+RW was very
enlightening. I will research this further.

Danny Deger

Old July 12th 03, 08:39 PM
Cory

If you want to do heavy-duty video editing and gaming, you'll want an AGP
card.
Just buy my computer from me:

MSI motherboard (800MHz FSB, Dual channel DDR400, 8X AGP support 6 PCI)
512MB DDR RAM (PC3200)
Pentium 4, 2.4GHz
Antec 450Watt Power Supply
ATI 7500 64MB 4X AGP (VGA out, DVI out, tv out)
80GB 7200RPM 8MB (got 3)
CD-RW (32x10x40)

I also have a TDK DVD+R 4x burner.

Old July 12th 03, 09:06 PM
Danny Deger

"Cory" wrote in message
newsuZPa.3630$Bp2.1271@fed1read07...
If you want to do heavy-duty video editing and gaming, you'll want an AGP
card.
Just buy my computer from me:

MSI motherboard (800MHz FSB, Dual channel DDR400, 8X AGP support 6 PCI)
512MB DDR RAM (PC3200)
Pentium 4, 2.4GHz
Antec 450Watt Power Supply
ATI 7500 64MB 4X AGP (VGA out, DVI out, tv out)
80GB 7200RPM 8MB (got 3)
CD-RW (32x10x40)

I also have a TDK DVD+R 4x burner.

Not too bad. I would like DVD burner that does +/- and really need 120 Gigs
of hard drive space. Does the case have room for two CD/DVD devices? How
much?

Danny Deger

Old July 12th 03, 10:06 PM
Cory

Not too bad. I would like DVD burner that does +/- and really need 120
Gigs
of hard drive space. Does the case have room for two CD/DVD devices? How
much?

The case has four 5 1/4" bays, two external 3 1/2" bays, and four internal 3
1/2" bays, so plenty of room for expandibility.
So, with two 80GB HDs, and the DVD+R burner, I'd say $1000. Without the
burner, $900.
I'll also toss my a PCI ethernet card, PCI firewire card, and 6-in-1 card
reader and floppy drive in too.

Then I've also got this hardware/softwa

Premiere 6.5 and Canopus DVStorm Pro with StormBay ($1000), Multicam ($500),
Impression DVD-Pro ($150), Ulead Media Studio Pro ($300), XP Home ($50), PCI
ATA/133 controller card, etc. too.

Old July 13th 03, 04:22 AM
Gerald Newton

[...]

I use a Sony VAIO digital studio PCV 672 UC. 2.66 mghz, 1 gig of ram, 2 hard
drives for 220 gigs. It is about one year old. I bought it at Sams for
about $2500. It has worked perfectly. You can swap out the second hard
drive in about 3 minutes. It is almost like having a removable hard drive.
I see the new Sony VAIO at Sam's comes with a 260 gig hard drive and 1 gig
of ram. I use Premiere 6.0 and it works fine on the firewire to my Sony XL
1000 Camcorder. The Sony Driver only works with the Sony XL 2000 but
Microsoft put a driver in win XP for the XL 1000. I can control the cameral
frame by frame using the mouse.
I went through that make DVD mode for a couple of years until I realized
CD's and DVD's are almost history. As the Internet speed gets faster and
faster, CD's and DVD's are going to be obsolete in a year or so. Why waste
the time on them when hard drive space is so cheap and the Internet is so
fast. They just slow things down.....

Old July 13th 03, 07:23 AM
John David Carter

"Danny Deger" wrote in message

Thanks for your reply. I will certainly reevaluate this machine.

I didn't however see any comment on PCI vs. AGP cards in general. I
understand that the Radeon 7000 is a low end card. My question is "Will

not
having an AGP slot seriously limit my future performance/capability in
video?" Are PCI video cards as a class more limited than AGP cards?

Danny Deger

In general, the PCI vs AGP thing...

PCI 33mhz bus, AGP 66mhz bus, today we have 8x AGP or approx. 533mhz to
syncronize with the P4 bus ( which is of course now 800mhz -- 12x is
next? ). So what, the AGP 8x bus can theoretically move 16x as much info as
the 33mhz PCI bus? That can cut the time for many operations, and enhance
the ability of the video card to perform complex tasks in real-time. Great
for games...

Old July 13th 03, 02:45 PM
Jeffery S. Jones

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 12:38:03 -0500, "Danny Deger"
wrote:

I am seriously thinking about buying a Sony desktop from Tiger Direct for
$899. It is marketed as an entry video machine.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ls.asp?sku=S16
7-3152%20P

I couldn't come close to buying the components and putting a machine
together for this price. But, I am concern about its video "card" which is:
"64MB Intel 845G Integrated Graphics [shared]" and its DVD-RW burner.

First, it doesn't have a DVI output. I have a DVI monitor and a DVI cable
that I plan to use. If I go to analog VGA, will I loose much?

Depends on the analog output and the monitor. Some will work OK
with analog, others not so hot. If your monitor is sharper fed from
DVI than analog, I'd say make sure that you have DVI out on your video
card.

Second, is the built in "shared" video OK in the long run. I have been told
to watch for built in video, it typically doesn't have anywhere close to the
power of a dedicated card.

It isn't power so much as the bandwidth just isn't quite as high as
with a separate bus/memory. The actual chipset is about the same
(845G is similar to GeForce2 from Nvidia).

Third, the machine doesn't have an AGP slot for a video card is I don't like
the lack of DVI and current video performance. It only has PCI slots. I
current have a Radeon 7000 PCI on an older machine, that works OK. But I
don't do video processing and games? Will PCI only video card be a problem
for video and games? I don't plan on doing sophisticated video processing.
Taking my digital camcorder video to a DVD is about all I need to do. I
don't need superb video performance, but don't want to be stuck with a dog
if PCI is a dog.

PCI only is just about the same as having no expansion slot for
video. The PCI bus limit will mean that you can never use a fast AGP
card. If you don't care about fast frame rate 3D games, it doesn't
matter.

Working with camcorder video, AGP doesn't matter at all. Or almost
not at all -- there are some apps which can use the AGP video card as
a 3D effect render engine. But as far as general work with video,
that is all 2D video, not 3D, and not only is PCI just fine in
general, unless you need a 2nd video card you can do just fine with
the built-in video.

Fourth, I have an Emerson DVD player. Is there anyway to check
compatibility of the DVD writer to my player (the computer comes with a
DVD-RW, which isn't as good as DVD+RW for compatibility). Compatibility
with DVD players is important to me, but how can I spec a computer to burn
compatible DVDs? Should I insist on DVD+RW?

I'd say yes, if you need DVD compatibility with everyone. If it is
just for your own stuff, you can get by with whatever comes with it,
as long as it works with your player.

As a general rule, though, serious video editing means not skimping
on the base machine. Other stuff to think about:

Dual monitor, TV monitor output for your video editing: A full
screen TV video out is very useful for video work. While you can work
that out if you have a DV VCR with analog out, and hook it to a TV
monitor, if your video editing app runs firewire preview out live, a
video card with proper video overlay out can show any window out to
full screen video. Dual monitor setup gives you more screen space for
editing apps, and that can make editing faster, less stressful, and
easier on the eyes. Matrox makes very nice dual head and triple
(separate TV out) cards, but there are others.

Hard drive space: Adding hard drives for video makes it easier to
do big projects, and more than one project in the pipe at a time.
Most package PCs can only add one hard drive easily. A bigger case
costs little more if you get a custom-built machine, but are rarely
provided with store package deals.

The price of the PC to run the software will end up being way less
than the cost of the software you use, if you get into video
production at all seriously.

With an entry machine, if you want to expand your solution is going
to be getting a new PC. If you get a standard case, custom built
machine (note that custom built isn't necessarily much more expensive
than a package deal if you hunt around), you can expand it yourself,
upgrading the motherboard as needed.

** Muskego WI Access Channel 14/25 http://www.execpc.com/~jeffsj/mach7/
*Starfire Design Studio* http://www.starfiredesign.com/
Old July 13th 03, 05:33 PM
AnthonyR

"Jeffery S. Jones" wrote in message

Working with camcorder video, AGP doesn't matter at all. Or almost
not at all -- there are some apps which can use the AGP video card as
a 3D effect render engine. But as far as general work with video,
that is all 2D video, not 3D, and not only is PCI just fine in
general, unless you need a 2nd video card you can do just fine with
the built-in video.

Yes, this will be more important for video editing in the future as more and
more editing software is made to harness the power of the GPU as well as the
CPU for video effects rendering and processing.
The New Pinnacle Edition software now uses both, and it advertises the fact
that the agp bus is 16x faster which allows the use of the GPU(graphics
Processor Unit) to do real-time 3 d effects preview on the computer monitor.

I am sure more and more software will also use the gpu, I think the new
Premiere Pro does also but am not sure.

So if you are getting into video editing, spend a few bucks more and get a
system with an agp slot, for sure! Don't regret it in a few years.

In the past, Motherboards had all slow ISA slots and only one pci slot for
faster video graphics, now we have all pci and one agp, I suspect in a few
years well have all agp and something fast for video, agp2? agp pro? can
anyone guess?

Thanks,
AnthonyR

Old July 13th 03, 10:23 PM
JF

"John David Carter" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

AGP data transfers are also piplined making them more efficient, and it
doesn't have to share the bus with multiple devices.

12x next? No. Actually late this year or early 2004, PCI-Express will begin
being introduced as the new bus standard. It has better bandwidth than AGP,
and is scaleable for the future.

It also uses a much lower pin count, and therefore will change our ideas
about pc case design.