A7VC on-board video problems

Old February 13th 05, 01:20 AM
Paul

In article ,
wrote:

(Paul) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

If anyone could help me get this video card working, I would
appreciate it.

The A7VC has on-board video. It is going bad. I have purchased a PCI
video card.

No matter what I try, I can't get the new card to work with the old
video. I've tried every combination I can think of. Installing in safe
mode, not in safe mode, disabling the on-board video, not disabling
it. Nothing works to allow me to use the new card.

What happens is, I can get the new card installed, then reboot. Go in
to bios. Switch from on-board video to pci video. When XP starts, it
"finds" the on-board video, and when it tries to install a driver for
it, XP crashes and takes a few files with it. If XP is running off the
on-board video, it works fine even though both boards are installed.

Any ideas?

TIA,

grant

If drivers for both devices are installed, could you go into
the Device Manager and disable the AGP based video interface ?
Does that work ?

I thought of that, and tried that. Even though the on-board video is
disabled in this profile, XP still tries to install it and crashes.

Does it look like the PCI card drivers are
working, because disabling the AGP might not be a good idea
if the PCI side isn't really healthy.

Yes, the PCI drivers look to be working to me. I don't know of a
definitive way to tell in this situation, but the control panel is
installed and works, sort of (I say "sort of' because I have to boot
with the on-board video active or I get the crash.)

Does it seem to be
running in dual monitor mode or not ?

Yes it is running in dual monitor mode, and I haven't played with this
much since I've never worked with this before. It seems to me that
this may be the best approach, but I don't understand it well enough.
(Such as "Extend desktop to this monitor...")

Thanks for your help,

grant

I cannot promise this will help - I ran into this suggestion
while searching for something else. These are instructions for
another board, but they may work for you.

"Disabling onboard video

You can disable the 810/810e chipset graphics this way.
1)Install your new video card in the PCI slot.
2)Boot to the bios
3)Set the new card as the primary graphics adapter. (this
sets the onboard graphics as a secondary adapter for
multi-monitor support.)
Now you can disable the onboard graphics in this manner:
1) Go to device manager in windows
2) Right click the icon for the Intel 810 graphics adapter.
3) click properties
4)un-check "exists in all hardware profiles"
5)Re-boot
the 810 display adapter.
7) Click the check box for "disabled in this hardware profile"
I got this info from the Intel site ( no luck looking for
info at E for me ) and it worked without a hitch. If you do
not follow up by disabling the adapter ( in device manager ),
in this manner you get all kinds of conflicts, freezing etc.
Hope this helps anyone trying to do this.
LM "

HTH,
Paul