Help..Partition magic made my partition disappear into oblivion

Old July 12th 03, 08:58 PM
Pierre Jarry

Default Help..Partition magic made my partition disappear into oblivion

Something went wrong while I was merging a 6Gb NTFS patition with the
50Gb NTFS primary partition it had originally come from...(PM had
frozen and I had to reboot half way thru the process...yikes).
Now there is 6Gb of space missing on the disk that doesn't even show
up as unallocated space...
The Bios, PM and Sisoft Sandra all report the full drive size but
report nevertheless the available space as being 6Gb short of what it
ought to be...
XP and CHKDSK, unfortunately only see the "reduced size".
PM from XP or Rescue floppy doens't see anything wrong otherwise and
everything works....
It looks like the FAT is confused as to where the last sector of the
disk is....

Does anyone know of a way to "fix" this...a utility...a non
destructive formating...whatever...??

Any help would be appreciated.

Pierre

Old July 14th 03, 10:19 PM
jona

"Pierre Jarry" wrote in message
[...]

Not much help I'm sure, but it sounds like you need to
repartition the entire drive. Before you resort to that you
might wanna try "MBRwork". This is apparently what
it can do (taken from the readme file), but fortunately
I've never needed to resort to that kind of work:

readme file
MBRWork - Freeware utility to perform some common
and uncommon MBR and disk functions. Provided As-Is.

It can perform the following:

1 - Backup the first track on a hard drive.

2 - Restore the backup file.

3 - Reset the EMBR area to all zeros.

4 - Reset the MBR are to all zeros.

5 - Install standard MBR Code

6 - Set a partition active (avail on the command line too)

7 - Work with multiple hard drives.

8 - Remove EZ-Drive (You must boot directly to a diskette (by passing
ez-drive)
for this option to show)

9 - Edit MBR partition entry values.

A - If no partitions exist in the MBR and no EMBR exists then this option
will allow you to recover lost FAT, HPFS, NTFS, and Extened partitions.

C - Capture up to 64 disk sectors to a file.

R - Restore up to 64 disk sectors from a file. This feature should only
be used by those who completely understand what they are doing!

T - Transfer/Copy sectors from disk to disk. This feature should only
be used by those who completely understand what they are doing!

P - Compare sectors.

Be sure to visit www.terabyteunlimited.com for ..........................
/readme file

Partition Magic TTupper General 4 July 8th 03 05:33 PM
Partition Hard Drive? ~misfit~ General 0 June 23rd 03 06:58 AM