AsRock K7S8XE+

Old April 24th 04, 07:11 PM
Mel

Default AsRock K7S8XE+

I have just purchased this mobo and an AMD 3.00 ghz processor.

The BIOS recognises it has a AMD Athlon XP 3000+ at 2.10 GHz

My FSB is set at 400Mhz, am I missing something here, why is it not
recognising it at 3.00Ghz ?

I have looked right through the mobo manual and asrock's website, I can't
find anything that helped at all.

TIA

Old April 24th 04, 08:26 PM
sooky grumper

Mel wrote:
I have just purchased this mobo and an AMD 3.00 ghz processor.

The BIOS recognises it has a AMD Athlon XP 3000+ at 2.10 GHz

My FSB is set at 400Mhz, am I missing something here, why is it not
recognising it at 3.00Ghz ?

Because it isn't running at 3GHz. You should read up on what the AMD
naming conventions mean. In a nutshell, the AMD Athlon XP naming
convention is the speed of the equivalent Intel chip. So, in your case,
although your chip is only running at 2.1GHz, it performs on par with an
Intel 3.0GHz chip.

Old April 24th 04, 08:43 PM
Peter Ives

In article , Mel
snet.co.uk writes
I have just purchased this mobo and an AMD 3.00 ghz processor.

The BIOS recognises it has a AMD Athlon XP 3000+ at 2.10 GHz

My FSB is set at 400Mhz, am I missing something here, why is it not
recognising it at 3.00Ghz ?

I have looked right through the mobo manual and asrock's website, I can't
find anything that helped at all.

AMD's actual speeds aren't exactly equal to their naming convention.
The naming convention was brought about by AMD becuase the processors
are supposed to be comparable in performance to an Intel processor of
that rating. So your XP 3000+ is supposed to perform as well as an
Intel 3.0.

However, XP 3000's (at least the Barton core one's I believe) are
clocked at about 2.16 Ghz. Maybe that's what you have.

Take a look here for more info:

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardwar...261_1582091__2
--
Peter Ives
Remove ALL_STRESS only before sending me an email
Old April 25th 04, 12:46 AM
Mel

"Peter Ives" wrote in message
o.uk...
In article ,

AMD's actual speeds aren't exactly equal to their naming convention.
The naming convention was brought about by AMD becuase the processors
are supposed to be comparable in performance to an Intel processor of
that rating. So your XP 3000+ is supposed to perform as well as an
Intel 3.0.

However, XP 3000's (at least the Barton core one's I believe) are
clocked at about 2.16 Ghz. Maybe that's what you have.

Take a look here for more info:

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardwar...261_1582091__2
--
Peter Ives
Remove ALL_STRESS only before sending me an email

Thanx fella's, is the core speed the same as the FSB then, if so, a Barton
core should be running at 333 rather than the 400 I have set?

Old April 25th 04, 11:10 AM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 00:46:54 +0100, Mel wrote:

Thanx fella's, is the core speed the same as the FSB then, if so, a Barton
core should be running at 333 rather than the 400 I have set?

Neither run at 333 or 400. The core speed is determined by the multiplier
x the FSB speed, which is 166MHz default for most Barton cores. But
default means just that, it's not set in stone, so you can set it to
whatever you like as long as you don't exceed the limitations of the core
speed.
When talking about the FSB, forget the 333/400 BS. That's data rates, not
bus clock speed which is what really matters in determining the core (CPU)
speed.