Asus A7N8x series ?

Old April 8th 04, 07:44 PM
strand

Default Asus A7N8x series ?

I want to build my first pc, on a budget, and have zeroed in on the AMD 2500
cpu on an Asus A7N8X board - But, there are several boards based on this
A7N8X and I cant get clarity about what the main differences are between
them (I may or may not have these model names correct ?) -
A7N8X
A7N8X-X
A7N8X-X/VM
A7N8X-X/MX
A7N8X-E (I think this one has wireless lan)
A7N8XE/DX

Primarily, I need to know which have some or all of the following - on board
video, audio, lan. And any other notable differences.

Thank you
Frank

Old April 8th 04, 08:39 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
strand wrote:
I want to build my first pc, on a budget, and have zeroed in on the AMD 2500
cpu on an Asus A7N8X board - But, there are several boards based on this
A7N8X and I cant get clarity about what the main differences are between
them (I may or may not have these model names correct ?) -
A7N8X
A7N8X-X
A7N8X-X/VM
A7N8X-X/MX
A7N8X-E (I think this one has wireless lan)
A7N8XE/DX

Primarily, I need to know which have some or all of the following - on board
video, audio, lan. And any other notable differences.

Thank you
Frank

You forgot the -DELUX model. onboard sound, video, lan, USB2, FW,
and stuff you'll probably never use, like SATA and raid.

Take a look at the Asus A7N266-VM. It's got everything
a basic PC needs and it's about $50. I've used a bunch of them.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Old April 8th 04, 09:20 PM
strand

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/mbindex.htm

Scroll down to "socket A" and click on any board you want to examine the
specs for. It's a really good board.

mmmm.....if I were more familiar i guess i'd be able to discern more
easily - i was hoping for a more "in-a-nutshell" kind of comparison /table

Old April 9th 04, 01:13 AM
KCB

"Al Dykes" wrote in message
In article ,
strand wrote:
[...]

The A7N266-VM is a nice board, but it is small form factor (micro ATX) and
it is 1st generation NVIDIA chipset. These 2 reasons would make me look at
something else. Of course the OP might feel different. Here is a
comparison table:
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/overview_amd.htm

Old April 9th 04, 01:27 AM
William W. Plummer

"Roger Tegard" wrote in message
strand wrote:

I want to build my first pc, on a budget, and have zeroed in on the AMD
2500 cpu on an Asus A7N8X board - But, there are several boards based on
this A7N8X and I cant get clarity about what the main differences are
between them (I may or may not have these model names correct ?) -
A7N8X
A7N8X-X
A7N8X-X/VM
A7N8X-X/MX
A7N8X-E (I think this one has wireless lan)
A7N8XE/DX

Primarily, I need to know which have some or all of the following - on
board video, audio, lan. And any other notable differences.

Thank you
Frank

Try this Frank:

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/mbindex.htm

Scroll down to "socket A" and click on any board you want to examine the
specs for. It's a really good board.

I have an A7N8X Delux. It's supposed to have built in, on board video
support, but I couldn't find the video connector!

Old April 9th 04, 04:06 AM
Al Dykes

In article IUldc.224850$Cb.1962690@attbi_s51,
KCB wrote:

"Al Dykes" wrote in message
In article ,
strand wrote:
[...]

Small Form Factor isn't a problem in an ATX case, and it's nice to
have lots of room in a case that would be cramped in a small desktop
case.

I can't speak to the nvidia chipset. It works fine with w2k and w/98,
for me.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Old April 9th 04, 10:10 PM
KCB

strand wrote:

[...]

The Deluxe version has an AGP slot for a video card. The A7N8X-VM has
built-in GeForce 4 MX graphics.

Old April 17th 04, 06:31 PM

I have an A7N8X Delux. It's supposed to have built in, on board video
support, but I couldn't find the video connector!

I have the Deluxe version also and it definitely does not have on-board
video support. Some of the other versions of this board do however have
this feature.

*Peter* - http://www.cix.co.uk/~pjgtech/home.html

Asus a7n8x and Matrox G400 VP General 1 January 31st 04 03:11 AM
Asus A7N8X Deluxe or Abit NF7-S Which? Choosing a MB. James Paraskeva Overclocking AMD Processors 11 November 26th 03 06:16 PM
T-Bred 2600+ & ASUS A7N8X v2.0 Wayne Youngman Overclocking AMD Processors 4 October 24th 03 09:02 AM
Asus A7N8X Deluxe or Epox EP-8RGA+ MB? E. Rust III Overclocking AMD Processors 3 October 9th 03 03:54 AM
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe USB Questions (long) Space--Coyote Overclocking AMD Processors 0 July 25th 03 01:18 PM