Dell 4400 stops the POST

Old August 28th 03, 11:08 PM
callsignviper

Default Dell 4400 stops the POST

"Jenny" wrote in message
I changed out a cd burner on a Dell 4400 for the cd-rom drive.
It is a cheap Cyntidyne from Staples ($60 with $40 rebate) 52x24x52x
on a WinME.

Now every time Dell starts, it says it can find the secondary drive.

There
are two short beeps (Phoenix Rom BIOS 1.10 A02).

I have to press F1 to continue. And then it works fine. I can use cd
burner.

But I hate this interrupt in the POST. I changed out the cable and

changed
jumper from master to sel. What else can I try??

You might want to ask your question in the following groups:

alt.comp.periphs.cdr
comp.publish.cdrom.hardware

--
callsignviper

The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
the right questions.

Old August 30th 03, 05:41 PM
Jenny

Bios set to auto, cd-rw set to master. I also tried cable select but that
didn't work either. It is on the secondary. The post says it isn't there,
but then it shows up in My Computer. I just don't want to press F1
each time it starts.
THANKS MUCH!!! For you help Ric.

"Ric" wrote in message
.. .
does it detect it properly in bios? how's it jumpered? which channel's it
on?
is bios set to AUTO?

"Jenny" wrote in message
I changed out a cd burner on a Dell 4400 for the cd-rom drive.
It is a cheap Cyntidyne from Staples ($60 with $40 rebate) 52x24x52x
on a WinME.

Now every time Dell starts, it says it can find the secondary drive.

There
are two short beeps (Phoenix Rom BIOS 1.10 A02).

I have to press F1 to continue. And then it works fine. I can use cd
burner.

But I hate this interrupt in the POST. I changed out the cable and

changed
jumper from master to sel. What else can I try??

thanks

Old August 30th 03, 05:44 PM
Jenny

"callsignviper" wrote in message
et...

Second: If you can get into the BIOS setup you might try an auto detect of
the IDE devices. That should pickup the CDRW drive. Then *save* the new
settings when you exit BIOS setup to see if that resolves the problem.

Third: Cendyne is in receivership and the likelihood of getting the rebate
is in doubt. If you bought the Cendyne drive recently and haven't sent in
for the rebate you should strongly consider returning the drive for a
refund.

I tried autodetect. Actually, that was the BIOS setting.

You have managed to worry me about the rebate. Thanks. It was
sent in immediately.