Primary partition - disappeared!

Old September 24th 03, 11:52 AM
S.Boardman

Default Primary partition - disappeared!

Help! My sister's computer (K6-450) has stopped working. The 2.4 Gb hard
drive is detected on boot by the BIOS, but will not boot. I've used a Win 98
floppy boot disk, and I can access C:. I used Partition Magic 6, and the C:
I can see is the extended partition (originally D.
Where and why has the primary partition disappeared? If I try to recreate a
C: primary partition will I lose all the data? I don't know how big the
partition were. Is there some other way of doing it? Or should I reformat
the drive (nothing critical on it - and was buggy) and reinstall everything?

--
Susan

Old September 24th 03, 02:06 PM
kony

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:52:08 +0100, "S.Boardman"
wrote:

Help! My sister's computer (K6-450) has stopped working. The 2.4 Gb hard
drive is detected on boot by the BIOS, but will not boot. I've used a Win 98
floppy boot disk, and I can access C:. I used Partition Magic 6, and the C:
I can see is the extended partition (originally D.
Where and why has the primary partition disappeared? If I try to recreate a
C: primary partition will I lose all the data? I don't know how big the
partition were. Is there some other way of doing it? Or should I reformat
the drive (nothing critical on it - and was buggy) and reinstall everything?

The drive is likely at or near end-of-life, it would be good to buy a
new hard drive, whatever capacity the motherboard BIOS will support,
perhaps up to 32GB with original BIOS and 128GB if a supportive BIOS
update is available.

If you wish to retain the data make a backup before any changes to the
drive. Recreating a primary partition will not allow normal access to
the files, they're still there but with no FAT they can't be acessed
normally. Rather a data-recovery type program might succeed. I'm
unsure if there's a good freeware software to do recovery but Ontrack
EasyRecovery should be able to do this by copying it off to another
drive. Since you feel the installation was buggy you might want to
reinstall the OS again regardless of what can be salvaged.

Dave
Old September 24th 03, 11:41 PM
DaveW

Sounds like the harddrive died. You can try repartitioning it and
reformatting it (yes, you'll lose the data on it), but it sounds like you
may be needing a new harddrive soon

--
DaveW

"S.Boardman" wrote in message
Help! My sister's computer (K6-450) has stopped working. The 2.4 Gb hard
drive is detected on boot by the BIOS, but will not boot. I've used a Win

98
floppy boot disk, and I can access C:. I used Partition Magic 6, and the

C:
I can see is the extended partition (originally D.
Where and why has the primary partition disappeared? If I try to recreate

C: primary partition will I lose all the data? I don't know how big the
partition were. Is there some other way of doing it? Or should I reformat
the drive (nothing critical on it - and was buggy) and reinstall

everything?

--
Susan

Partition table error? Help!! Thomas Jespersen General 6 November 12th 08 01:51 AM
Problem upgrading HDD Jeff General 9 August 20th 05 09:37 PM
80G formatting ChrisJ9876 General 8 July 30th 03 08:54 AM
Help..Partition magic made my partition disappear into oblivion Pierre Jarry General 1 July 14th 03 10:19 PM
Partition Hard Drive? ~misfit~ General 0 June 23rd 03 06:58 AM