Can DL380 G4 Convert to SAS?

Old November 1st 07, 07:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

Default Can DL380 G4 Convert to SAS?

Is there any conversion kit that will convert a DL380 G4 from SCSI to SAS?

--
Will

Old November 5th 07, 10:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

Given that a DL380G4 may well be under warranty, ring up the helpdesk and
ask them what parts you'd need.

I would expect that you can do the conversion, as there is a SAS/SATA
version of the DL380G4 called the DL380G4p (P for Performance)

Old November 7th 07, 12:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

Indeed. I'm consusing it with an ML350, where the ML350G4 does have a "P"
version that does take SATA drives, but not SAS at first view.

Old November 8th 07, 04:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Benjamin Gawert

* Will:
Is there any conversion kit that will convert a DL380 G4 from SCSI to SAS?

There are no conversion kits, but that doesn't mean a conversion isn't
possible. For example, I've converted several ML350 G3/G4/G4p and ML370
G2/G3/G4 from SCSI to SAS (2.5" and 3.5"). It's basically a thing of
just replacing the drive cage (besides Controller and SAS cables of
course) and in some cases also a removeal of a power cable (temp sensor).

One problem with the DL380 G4 is that it doesn't have a separate drive
cage. The chassis for SCSI (3.5") and SAS (2.5") are different. So no,
there simly is no conversion to SAS possible.

Benjamin
Old November 8th 07, 04:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Benjamin Gawert

* Jez T:

Indeed. I'm consusing it with an ML350, where the ML350G4 does have a "P"
version that does take SATA drives, but not SAS at first view.

Nope. The ML350 G4p was/is offered as SAS model (3,5" SAS, just look at
the quickspecs) besides the SCSI and SATA models. The ML350 G4 was
offered as SCSI-only model but can be converted to SAS/SATA (2.5" and
3.5") very easy.

Benjamin

Help Cloning Configuration DL380 G2 Will Compaq Servers 2 March 1st 07 06:09 AM
Dl380 G2 With SATA or SAS Will Compaq Servers 7 November 25th 06 10:10 AM
DL380 (G1) Wake-On-LAN??? [email protected] Compaq Servers 4 August 14th 06 10:42 AM
DL380 G1... Rick F. Compaq Servers 5 May 31st 06 11:36 PM
DL380 G2 Without Smartarray Will Compaq Servers 2 April 14th 06 03:07 AM