Looking for Motherboard (Core 2 Ready, SATA-II RAID-5 & Graphics)

Old August 24th 06, 11:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Steve Baker

Default Looking for Motherboard (Core 2 Ready, SATA-II RAID-5 & Graphics)

Anyone know of this mix on a single board?

- Core 2 Ready
- SATA-II (SATA-300)
- RAID-5
- Graphics on-board

Any help appreciated. I'm struggling to find such a beast.

Thanks,

Steve

Old August 26th 06, 08:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Steve Baker

Thanks, but it's the combination I'm looking for. There are loads without
the grpahics and loads of lower-spec board with graphics but no RAID.

Maybe someone who knows the make-up of the chipsets can actually tell me
what's possible. Perhaps I'm looking for the currently impossible, though I
thought the Intel 965 chipset could support all this stuff.

Karl

Old August 28th 06, 01:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Gojira

"Steve Baker" wrote in message
Anyone know of this mix on a single board?

- Core 2 Ready
- SATA-II (SATA-300)
- RAID-5
- Graphics on-board

Any help appreciated. I'm struggling to find such a beast.

Thanks,

Steve

Take a look a this one,might be what you need.
http://www.directron.com/d946gzissl.html

Old August 29th 06, 06:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Steve Baker

Thanks.

I don't THINK this one supports either RAID-5 or SATA-II, but the details
aren't clear. Anyone know.

I think the new Asus board (P5B-V DH Deluxe) is what I'm after, but I've no
idea when it will be available and I can't find the manual for it anywhere
to confirm functionality in detail, particularly around the Intel Matrix
Storage, for the RAID-5 from the ICH8R chipset.

Steve

Old August 29th 06, 09:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

In article , "Steve Baker"
wrote:

Thanks.

I don't THINK this one supports either RAID-5 or SATA-II, but the details
aren't clear. Anyone know.

I think the new Asus board (P5B-V DH Deluxe) is what I'm after, but I've no
idea when it will be available and I can't find the manual for it anywhere
to confirm functionality in detail, particularly around the Intel Matrix
Storage, for the RAID-5 from the ICH8R chipset.

Steve

This is the master list for Asus. There is a P5B-V in the list
but no P5B-V DH (yet).

http://www.asus.com/products2.aspx?l1=3&l2=-1

If you click the enlargement button, you can see a picture
of the P5B-V motherboard:

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?m...l2=11&l 3=332

There is a picture of the P5B-V DH here. Note that tradeshow
pictures of motherboards are extremely unreliable, and I've
seen pictures of boards that don't even resemble the final
retail product. But in this case, the P5B-V DH bears a
close enough resemblance to the P5B-V, to trust that this
is what the final board will look like.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=102246
http://www.iamxtreme.net/andre/ASUS%...%202/965-1.JPG

If you compare the P5B-V to the P5B-V DH, you'll notice a
couple of interesting things. I had heard that the ICH8 was
supposed to have six SATA2 ports. If you download the
Intel datasheet for ICH8, there are four different models
of the ICH8. Three versions of the ICH8 have six ports,
while the "base" ICH8 has only four. Both P5B-V boards seem
to be using the base ICH8, since only four connectors are
soldered into the six possible locations.

(PDF page 49 contains the table of ICH8 models)
http://developer.intel.com/design/ch...hts/313056.htm

Now, the P5B-V has a familiar twist on it as well. There is
an IC site next to the Southbridge, for a fairly large chip.
Notice on the P5B-V DH, there are only three SATA connectors
on the Southbridge, and the large chip next to the Southbridge
is populated. That means the board has a SIL4723 two port
RAID chip connected to the Southbridge. And that means the
P5B-V DH Southbridge situation looks like this:

Hub_bus

Southbridge "Base" ICH8 has four SATA2 ports.
| | | \ The picture of the P5B-V DH suggests
Sata Sata Sata \ one port is sacrificed to connect
1 3 4 \ the SATA connected hardware RAID
Silicon controller SIL4723. The SIL4723 is
Image limited to about 110MB/sec transfer
4723 rate (of 300MB/sec available on the
| | connection to the Southbridge).
Sata Sata
RAID RAID

The Intel datasheet table on PDF page 49 says Matrix RAID is
not supported on the "base" ICH8. AFAIK, chips like this are
soft raid, and I don't see a reason why a RAID5 could not be
supported, unless this is just a marketing scheme. I suggest
waiting for the downloadable manual, to see what claims are in
there in terms of whether RAID modes are supported or not. I
notice there is no mention of RAID modes on the P5B-V web page,
which suggests in fact what the Intel datasheet claims is true.
In that case, the only way to get RAID5 on the Southbridge,
would be via the Windows RAID5 hack (as shown on Tomshardware).

According to this blurb, there is yet another version -
the "P5B-V DH DELUXE/HDMI". The table here says that board
uses ICH8R, which would have six SATA2 ports and officially
supports Matrix RAID. I suppose being "DELUXE" and all, they
spent the extra $2 and got the ICH8R with six SATA2 ports.

http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=3932

While the picture of the P5B-V DH DELUXE/HDMI on that page
is pretty tiny, it looks like you get 5 ports on the
Southbridge, plus that SIL4723 chip again. The two orange ports
are supported by the SIL4723. Three red SATA and two black
SATA ports are connected to the Southbridge. So you could
have RAID5 with up to five drives, plus a sixth if you use
whatever is connected to the SIL4723 as well.

Have fun waiting :-(

I hope the performance level of this Southbridge RAID5
is worth all the fuss. Designs without cache DIMM and XOR
chip, tend to be on the mediocre side.

Paul

Old August 30th 06, 03:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 18:17:41 +0100, "Steve Baker"
wrote:

Thanks.

I don't THINK this one supports either RAID-5 or SATA-II, but the details
aren't clear. Anyone know.

I think the new Asus board (P5B-V DH Deluxe) is what I'm after, but I've no
idea when it will be available and I can't find the manual for it anywhere
to confirm functionality in detail, particularly around the Intel Matrix
Storage, for the RAID-5 from the ICH8R chipset.

Steve

IMO, if you're after RAID5 it might be better not to rely on
a motherboard integral controller, which will then require
same controller again to salvange the data should the board
fail. In other words, the odds of a motherboard failing
seem far higher than a separate RAID card which can be moved
with the array should the board fail. RAID1 is better for
the board integral controller then, since any normal
implementation of it should allow any members to be read
separately from a generic controller.
Old September 1st 06, 06:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Steve Baker

Thanks, all. Having looked around (and I've found some excellent MBs, just
not available yet - such as Asus P5B-V DH Deluxe, which really looks
promising), I've decided to skip the on-board RAID and go with something H/W
based. At the moment, I'm planning the RocketRaid 2310. Costs a bit, but
should make it much easier in that it's all h/w based and can be accessed
through the board BIOS and managed through applications.

Thanks all for your comments - they've been invaluable.

Steve