EPP Cost vs. Coupon Cost?

Old July 22nd 06, 12:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris

Default EPP Cost vs. Coupon Cost?

Using my EPP (Employee Purchase Program) ID, I can get the following
configuration for $829 (add $68 tax and $8 environmental fee, free
shipping = $905 delivered). I've been looking at the coupon sites,
such a notebookreviews.com, but this still seems to be the best deal
with my EPP. I'd like to to delete the TrueLife, but all display
options included it. Is there a way to delete the TrueLife; do I have
to call to do this?

I'd remove the 15-month security package, but can't seen to do that,
either.

I would also add the integrated SB audio ($25)

The machine would be get light use; email, browsing, occasional CD
burning, viewing DVD. I've looked at the solo processors and the
Pentium Ms, but they cost about as much as this configuration.

For those of you that have used your company's EPP, do you find it to
be better than using the coupons that can be found?

SYSTEM COMPONENTS

E1505 Dual Core Qty 1
Intel® Core™ Duo Proc T2050 (1.60GHz/533MHz/2 X 1MB L2 Cache),
Genuine Windows® XP Home Unit Price $1,401.00

Dell EPP/FSS Customers: Save $500 off select Inspiron systems!
Limited Time Offer!
- $500.00

Catalog Number: 23 A4677BTS2
Module Description Show Details
Inspiron E1505 Intel® Core™ Duo Proc T2050 (1.60GHz/533MHz/2 X 1MB
L2 Cache)
Operating System (Office software not included) Genuine Windows® XP
LCD Panel 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display with TrueLife™
Memory 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm
Video Card 128MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1300 HyperMemory™
Hard Drive 60GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
Network Card and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
Combo/DVD+RW Drives 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
Sound Options Integrated Audio
Wireless Networking Cards Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 Internal Wireless
Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) No productivity suite-
Corel WordPerfect word processor only
Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) McAfee Security Center with
VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 15-months
Primary Battery 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Hardware Warranty 3Yr Ltd Warr,At-Home Service,and HW Warr Support plus
Nights and Weekends
Dial-Up Internet Access 6 Months of America Online Membership Included
Future Operating Systems Windows Vista™ Capable
Operating System Re-Installation CD PC Restore recovery system by
Symantec
Dell Digital Entertainment Starter Entertainment Pack - Basic digital
Music, Photo and Game experience

TOTAL:$901.00
LESS: 78.08 (Receive 8% off systems priced $800 to $1600 with 3/4yr
At-Home service.
Total: $828.92

Old July 22nd 06, 01:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

coupons and EPP are just 2 different avenues for dell to use their
ingenious marketing to make more money. both can give good deals, or
bad deals.
in your case, a bad deal.
i wouldnt pay $850+ for that config, way over priced. i buy those now
closer to $650-700 on sale. you have to wait for your configuration on
sale.
also i wouldnt get the 1.6 again, i find it too slow, and on this model,
the T2050, they slowed the bus speed from what it used to be, again,
bump it up a notch to the 1.83, you'll thank me later.
i routinely buy the 1.83 for around $800 in your config.
a completely package with 3 year warranty and 1.8 could be had for
around $1000.
call a rep and get them to adjust the options you cant do on screen.
the more expensive the system, the more they have to work with.

true life or not is a matter of preference, i have both and both are
excellent.

Old July 22nd 06, 02:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

as followup to my last message:
the integrated audio upgrade is a wate. its pure software upgrade, not
hardware. they give you a demo program to see wht you'll be getting.
also you're paying dearly for anitvirus software that is horrible in my
opinion. that will save you at least $60 there.

i also wouldnt get a solo processor because they do cost about the same.
but the pentium M sold in the model 1300 is a good deal when they sold
it for $500 on sale with a 1.8 processor, 512mb ram, and dvdrw.
now i only see them with 1.7 processor for that price.

Old July 22nd 06, 07:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Pat Conover

Boris

Jay is right, don't get the, (Pre-installed) McAfee Security Center with
VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 15-months. I just bought a Dimension
9150 that came with McAfee preinstalled even though I ordered it without!
What junk, it slowed my system to a crawl and a PIA to get rid of too! Use
Free AVG and ZoneAlarm for antivirus and a firewall and Free SpyBot S&D and
Adaware for net varmints.

Pat

Old July 22nd 06, 07:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris

Thanks for the 'analysis'. I wasn't aware that the integrated audio
upgrade was just SB software. Nope, not worth it.

On the so-called security suite, I forgot to mention that I would also
delete that, as I agree that any of the security suites (Norton, McAfee)
are resource hogs. I also figured that would be worth about $60.

I did notice that the solo processors are now running about the same as
the duals.

My college aged girls have a 2-year old i8600 and a 1-year old i6000,
both Centrinos with M processors, wxga non-glare, 128MB sound, 512 GB
ram, DVD burners, 85W batteries. Dad liked them so much that he wants to
get something similar for himself.