Compaq Presario 5834 Restore Disk files needed!

Old January 6th 08, 09:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

Default Compaq Presario 5834 Restore Disk files needed!

I need some of the files on the restore disks for the 5834, my disks
are scratched, does anyone know how I might be able to get them?
Compaq no longer has them or provides support for older models but I'm
trying to restore it for my daughter.These are the ones I need:

FILES MISSING

DISK ONE

In CPQDRV Folder:
151297
151308
151416
151503

In DATA Folder:
FACTORY.009
FACTORY.010
FACTORY.PQI

FOLDERS MISSING

DISK TWO

In CPQDRV Folder:
352269
352293
400603

TIA!
Old January 7th 08, 12:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
msg

wrote:
I need some of the files on the restore disks for the 5834, my disks
are scratched, does anyone know how I might be able to get them?
Compaq no longer has them or provides support for older models but I'm
trying to restore it for my daughter.These are the ones I need:

Compaq (HP/Compaq) is one of the few computer firms that provides
good mature system support (software and documentation). Your
machine is amply supported:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/p...&lang=en&cc=us

Select Software & Driver downloads for your missing software components;
select Manuals for documentation.

You can also download 'allfiles.txt' from ftp.compaq.com; if you know the
softpaq number of something you're seeking, you can look for it in this
catalog.

Regards,

Michael
Old January 7th 08, 03:10 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

Unfortunatally neither the Hp website has the files I need, nor the
Compaq site works/opens. Any other ideas?

Old January 7th 08, 04:21 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
msg

wrote:

Unfortunatally neither the Hp website has the files I need, nor the
Compaq site works/opens. Any other ideas?

What doesn't work about the site? If you want to access the site from
its root, try:
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html
...and enter '5834' in the entry box for the product search. You will
get to the page for your machine by drilling down.

In your original post, you listed what appeared to be file or directory
names from the damaged CD-ROM; a quick web search for the first name,
'151297', by using 'compaq 151297' as a search query, produces a number
of hits, including '151297.zip' which is the NIC/modem driver for the
Presario 5834. This clearly shows that the files/directories
that you listed are indeed various drivers, firmware or setup information
for various operating systems to be used on your machine. You can
continue to 'Google' for those names, or just use the 'softpaqs' referenced
by the Compaq support site (from my previous reply) to obtain the missing
material that you need.

I would urge you to use the support site and simply select the material
that you need for your hardware and o/s from the very well stocked
archive.

Regards,

Michael
Old January 10th 08, 02:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

First of all, thanks for your help Mike, I'm not as knowledgeable as
you about how to find these files so I appreciate your help. I've
tried the ftpcompaq site, it won't open using either IE or Firefox. I
can only find the first 3 files in my list using Google, all on the
DriverGuide site. Without knowing what kinds of files these are for, I
can't know how to search for them as drivers or what ever they are.
I don't mean to be a pain but can you assist me any further with this?
Thanks in advance.

Old January 10th 08, 03:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Phil[_9_]

wrote in message
First of all, thanks for your help Mike, I'm not as knowledgeable as
you about how to find these files so I appreciate your help. I've
tried the ftpcompaq site, it won't open using either IE or Firefox. I
can only find the first 3 files in my list using Google, all on the
DriverGuide site. Without knowing what kinds of files these are for, I
can't know how to search for them as drivers or what ever they are.
I don't mean to be a pain but can you assist me any further with this?
Thanks in advance.

If I recall that came with windows 98 and the "restore disks" for that unit
were obsoleted years ago. They are not available for download. Even if they
were you have windows 98 and it is not supported any more.
That said, you can load another operating system on that machine. Windows
2000 should find and setup everything except the modem. On the modem, just
find a cheap 56k modem if you need it but dispose of the one in the
computer.

Why ?

The original modem driver was for windows 98 and is on the original restore
disk. To upgrade that driver with the softpak you have to have the win 98
version installed before the upgrade (softpak) will work. In other words the
driver is in two parts, the original and the upgrade. This "mentality" is
one of the things that got Compaq in trouble. They were forcing you to buy
restore disk if you didn't have them and the upgrade disk too.

Now that HP acquired Compaq, everything they have for download is free, just
that the win 98 restore disks are obsolete and not supported. Any other
driver for that machine can be downloaded directly from hp.

Phil