Noisy 7VAXP NB fan

Old August 5th 03, 01:32 AM
tHatDudeUK

Default Noisy 7VAXP NB fan

My pc has started getting noisy over the past month. I'm pretty certain it's
the MOBO's NB fan... It seems to happen whenever the PC has been turned off
for a while and weirdly stops just about when the system has got into
windows.

Can I remove this safely? Is there a good way of replacing the HS and fan or
will it function well on its own?!

TIA...

tHatDudeUK

Old August 5th 03, 03:21 AM
Michael Martin

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in message
My pc has started getting noisy over the past month. I'm pretty certain

it's
the MOBO's NB fan... It seems to happen whenever the PC has been turned

off
for a while and weirdly stops just about when the system has got into
windows.

Can I remove this safely? Is there a good way of replacing the HS and fan

or
will it function well on its own?!

Yep, you can usally remove the stock Heatsink/fan off the northbridge, give
it a good cleaning, and then install something like:

http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/...=16315&cat=410

There is a link to an installation guide on that page to give you an idea of
whats involved.

--
Michael Lee Martin

Old August 5th 03, 01:43 PM
Tony Houghton

In ,
Michael Martin michael_martin@ntlworld.*removethistoreply*com wrote:

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in message
My pc has started getting noisy over the past month. I'm pretty
certain it's the MOBO's NB fan... It seems to happen whenever the PC
has been turned off for a while and weirdly stops just about when the
system has got into windows.

Very typical symptoms.

Can I remove this safely? Is there a good way of replacing the HS and
fan or will it function well on its own?!

Most people say you can simply remove the fan - don't just unplug it,
remove it to allow air to get at the metal better - but I wouldn't want
to risk it until the heatwave has passed. If, like on my Gigabyte board,
the heatsink's stuck on with some sort of double sided tape it won't be
doing much good anyway, so scrubbing that off with acetone and IPA and
sticking it back on with thermal transfer epoxy would probably
compensate for not having a fan.

BTW, when I replaced my heatsink, using thermal epoxy, something went
wrong with the glue and later I found it half hanging off. God knows how
long it had been like that, but still running stably.

Yep, you can usally remove the stock Heatsink/fan off the northbridge,
give it a good cleaning, and then install something like:

http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/...=16315&cat=410

www.thecoolingshop.co.uk is much cheaper for that.

Finally, if you don't mind the ordinary fan noise once it's warmed up
and settled down, you can oil it. Carefully peel back the label from the
hidden side and put a drop or two of light machine oil down the hole in
the middle, clean up any spillage (it's very difficult not to get some
on the surface) and press the label back down. That'll keep it quiet for
at least a year IME.

--
Use Reply-To and DO NOT remove .nospam when replying
Old August 5th 03, 06:28 PM
tHatDudeUK

"Tony Houghton" wrote in message
www.thecoolingshop.co.uk is much cheaper for that.

Cheers, the first thing I thought when I saw the page was OMG nearly £10 :-)

Old August 5th 03, 07:50 PM
Tony Houghton

In ,
tHatDudeUK wrote:

"Tony Houghton" wrote in message

[Zalman passive Northbridge heatsink]

www.thecoolingshop.co.uk is much cheaper for that.

Cheers, the first thing I thought when I saw the page was OMG nearly £10 :-)

IIRC I paid about £15 each for the black ones they used to make! :-(

--
Use Reply-To and DO NOT remove .nospam when replying
Old August 5th 03, 04:51 AM
Sir Pudgie

Can I remove this safely? Is there a good way of replacing the HS and fan
or
will it function well on its own?!

Pull off the fan and just leave the passive HS, you'll never see any
difference! :-)

Old August 5th 03, 03:44 PM
BillW

Pull off the fan, lift the foil seal and place a small drop of oil on the
bearing. Replace the seal........

Old August 6th 03, 12:37 PM
Peltio

"tHatDudeUK" wrote...
My pc has started getting noisy over the past month. I'm pretty certain

it's
the MOBO's NB fan... It seems to happen whenever the PC has been turned off
for a while and weirdly stops just about when the system has got into
windows.

Can I remove this safely? Is there a good way of replacing the HS and fan

or
will it function well on its own?!

On my 8IEXP I had no problems in removing the NB fan. No crashes at all.
At any rate, since it seems Europe has fallen right into the middle of
Africa these days, I helped the passive heatsink a little bit by forcing
four 50 eurocents coins through its fins.
The coins fit well the space between the fins and stand outside for most of
their surface, realizing four additional fins. (I computed the net increase
in the area and it was around 20 square cm - IIRC)

To be sure they won't fall (due to different thermal properties of fin and
coin), I made a little aluminium mask to keep them in place. But that is an
excess of prudence, I think. The coins would hardly fall, if let alone.
Placing screws at their side would do as well.

cheers,
Peltio
and its (easily recyclable) 2 euro heatsink : )

Old August 12th 03, 05:03 AM
Phil

There has got to be a solution to this, other than replacing the fan, right?
It seems lots of folks are having the same problem! I triied the suggestion
to turn off auto fan control in the BIOS, but that didn't help.... The fan
stays on until I log on to Windows XP, as soon as I do, the fan stops.
Doesn't matter how long I wait.... Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

"tHatDudeUK" wrote...

Old August 13th 03, 06:20 PM
Ollie

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 04:03:52 GMT, "Phil"
wrote:

There has got to be a solution to this, other than replacing the fan, right?
It seems lots of folks are having the same problem! I triied the suggestion
to turn off auto fan control in the BIOS, but that didn't help.... The fan
stays on until I log on to Windows XP, as soon as I do, the fan stops.
Doesn't matter how long I wait.... Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I phoned Gigabyte and explained that I had this problem. They sent out
a new fan for my board within 2 days. Their contact number for the
relevant coutry is on their website.

Good luck!

Ollie
Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail.