HP error message : "incorrect black printer cartridge"

Old March 13th 05, 08:24 PM
kwijybo

Default HP error message : "incorrect black printer cartridge"

I have had an HP1210v PSC for about 2 years now. I recently got
some flashing lights for the check print cartridge error light.

The diagnostics in the HP director states that "the black
printer cartridge is the wrong kind". I have had the same
cartridge in there since installation, and I don't think
this is an "out of ink" problem.

I emailed HP, and they had several suggestions (none of which
worked, duh, like cleaning the contacts and resetting the printer
and whatnot). They have a patch which is supposed to fix this,
but when executed it gives the error message "did not find
an eleigible printer to update".

Hp states this patch always works, which, obviously, it doesn't.

They now say it must be a hardware problem, but if a patch exists,
I'm guessing it must be a software prob of some sort. I haven't
tried replacing the cartridge (20$), because I'm still guessing
its a software problem.

Any ideas???

Old March 13th 05, 09:30 PM
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Ed Ruf wrote:

Any ideas???

IIRC, HP carts have an expiration date. Is your cart beyond this date?

Didn't see the original message, but would add that certain HP printers use 45
black carts, and others use 15 black carts. There is no physical difference
between the two, other than the fact that 15s have 1/2 the ink. A printer set to
use the 15 will not print with a 45.
Old March 14th 05, 03:01 PM
VH

Flip open the top of the ink cartridge holder of both the black and
color and look at the underside of the lids. There is a black spring
loaded plastic part that push the cartridge against the contacts.
There is a little part at the front that is easily broken. Compare
with the one on the color one to see if that's the case. If it is you
can put a small piece of plactic (in my case the clip on a Sharpie
marker) or fold a very small piece of paper and put on top of the ink
cartridge against the small plastic at the front of the cartridge so
that when you close the lid to the holder it will force the cartidge
tightly against the contacts.

Old March 15th 05, 06:41 AM
Bob Headrick

VH wrote in message ...
Flip open the top of the ink cartridge holder of both the black and
color and look at the underside of the lids. There is a black spring
loaded plastic part that push the cartridge against the contacts.
There is a little part at the front that is easily broken. Compare
with the one on the color one to see if that's the case.

This model has a different carriage design and the above does not apply.

I would expect that a cartridge that has been in the printer for two years may
have an electrical issue; the cartridges are typically rated for six months
in-printer life. A new cartridge would probably solve the original posters
issue.

Regards,