Power suppy / mainboard question

Old March 14th 05, 07:38 AM

Default Power suppy / mainboard question

Hi,

Some back story:

Recently my PC went down and after a painful week
of trying to diagnose the problem it became apparent
that the mainboard was damaged and also the power
supply. I'm not going to go into the details but
some very weird things were happening.

I ordered an ASUS P4P800 SE as a replacement for
my old ASUS P4P800.

I picked up an Antec True430 power supply as well.

I was very careful in the process of installing
the old processor & retention device onto the
new mobo.

The problem:

At this point I've done the following:

* I have the old processor & retention mechanism
in place on the new mainboard.
* Plugged the CPU fan into the board right beside
where the CPU sits.
* plugged in all of the case fans either into the
board or to a cable from the PS.
* Installed the memory sticks securely.
* plugged in the system panel connector plugs
(Power SW, Speaker, Power LED, etc.)
* Plugged in the 20 pin and 4 pin cable into the
board from the new power supply.

It's my understanding that at this stage if I flick
the power switch on, at the very least, fans should
turn on and I should get some kind of beeping (error
or otherwise), even if no hard disk is attached.

But I get nothing.

The only thing that indicates that power is available
is the green LED on the board that lights up. If I
click the power switch nothing happens, it's as though
the power switch isn't connected to anything.

I don't really like to do this kind of low level
hardware troubleshooting but in this case I didn't
have much of a choice. While I'm fairly comfortable
installing a new hard disk or memory stick I'm novice
at doing stuff with the mainboard. So I'm wondering
if I've overlooked anything obvious. Any help would
be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old March 14th 05, 08:21 AM

You probably haven't hooked up the Power switch on your case to the
motherboard.

You should be able to at least grab the following wires leading from
your case;
* ide led
* power switch
* reset switch

You need to hook these up to your motherboard if you with to power up
your system with the power button on your case.

Old March 14th 05, 09:34 AM
Paul

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

Maybe another brand of power supply will help ?
The problem described here is not for your exact model of
board, but your symptoms are suspiciously familiar.

http://abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71612

Paul
Old March 14th 05, 11:36 AM
Scott

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I seemed to have the same problem with my new motherboard. After reading the
instructions again after a half hour break (as it was going to be thrown out
the window), I discovered I had missed something. As well as the long block
power connector, there was another that needed to be inserted. This smaller
one had only 4 wires and when looked at, looks like a mini version of the
long power supply block.
Check your motherboard for this connection, and make sure your power supply
has one also.

But really the moral of the story - Read the manual cover to cover, checking
each point off as you go through it to see what the problem may be. 9 times
out of 10, this is usually the problem. Failing that, good luck!
Hope you get the problem sorted soon.
Scott

Old March 14th 05, 01:11 PM
Ken

[...]

Lots of good comments made already, but I would suggest you first power
up any new MB outside of the case with a minimum of other hardware
attached. That would be the processor and fan, memory, and a video card
if there is not one built in. Once you know the hardware works, mount
it in the case. It is easy to have the case cause a problem if you
don't watch for standoffs etc. under the MB. Also reversed cables such
as the IDE cables often prevent booting.
Old March 15th 05, 03:33 PM
John Tindle

Also check the voltage switch on the back of the powersupply to make sure it
is set for N. American 115V.
I've seen power supplies that are set to 240V by default (even those in ASUS
cases).

JT.

Old March 15th 05, 09:13 PM
DD Gamer

Try the same setup with another power supply, I have an Enermax 451W due to
the fact that the Antec 430W would not work properly in my system.

Old March 16th 05, 01:14 AM

[...]

Well offhand it sounds like you toasted the processor. If you took out
the old power supply and MOBO then there's a good chance the CPU died
in the holocaust. However, there are some things you could check.

1- Make sure that there are no bent pins on the bottom of the CPU.That
would certainly prevent it from starting.
2- Make sure that you aren't shortcircuiting anything to ground through
the MOBO standoff screw terminals. This is a good reason to turn the
board on outside of the chassis. To do this:
a- Remove the power supply from the case
b- Install the CPU amd one memory SIMM
c- Install video card
d- Place MOBO on an insultaing surface and let the bottom flange of the
video card hang over the edge of the table so it doesn't get dislodged
by its own weight.
e- Connect the 2 power supply connectors, and fan connector from the
heatsink.
f- Attach a monitor and keyboard.
g- Turn on power supply. The little green MOBO light should light.
h- With a small flat-bladed screw driver, short circuit the two pins on
the MOBO that would normally connect to the front-panel power switch.

If all goes correctly, the system will start.

If it works outside of the case, but not in the case, then one of the
standoffs is shorting a power or signal line to ground. It's rare but
can happen.

Also make sure the fan you are using is a 3-pin type with power, ground
and tachometer signals. Make sure it is plugged into the proper fan
power plug for the CPU. If the chipset doesn't get a fan signal it will
shut down the power to the CPU.

Make sure that memory is properly seated.

That's all the easy stuff.

Arnie

Old March 16th 05, 02:35 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

As it turns out.... embarrassing as it is to admit, the problem was my
jumper settings. Specifically, my power jumper was plugged into the
wrong spot.

Old March 16th 05, 09:27 AM
Scott

wrote in message
ups.com...

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

As it turns out.... embarrassing as it is to admit, the problem was my
jumper settings. Specifically, my power jumper was plugged into the
wrong spot.

Oops! hehe. Well, glad you got it sorted anyway.

Scott