P4PE Overheated CPU Symptoms

Old January 24th 04, 02:25 AM
Aegyssus Daciccus

Default P4PE Overheated CPU Symptoms

I have the following system:
•P4PE/LAN/1394/SATA-UAY
•Pentium4 3.06GHz / 533MHz FSB
•512MB PC2700 DDR333
•NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 128MB (A-G446)
•Midi Tower Case with 350W PSU

The problem is ten minutes after powering on my computer, it starts
beeping with short high frequency sounds during a scroll operation in
an Internet Explorer webpage or other CPU intensive operations
(playing videos, games, etc) as it is mentioned in the manual for
overheated CPU problem. Strange thing is normal operations like
browsing the file system, running simple applications (like text
editor, emailer or MS Office) or even editing pictures (in Photoshop)
don't trigger any sound.
I watched the temperature with Asus Probe and MBM and I've got 32
Celsius degrees for the case and 38-55 Celsius degrees for CPU. The
Intel datasheet (ftp://download.intel.com/design/Pent...s/29864311.pdf)
says the temperature range should be from 5 to 69 Celsius…
Anybody solved a similar problem? Please help.

TIA,
Aegyssus
Old January 24th 04, 06:52 PM
Christian Merkle

Aegyssus Daciccus wrote:

Anybody solved a similar problem? Please help.

Which BIOS version you´re using? I remember similar problems when i were
using 1003 or 1004.

Christian
Old January 25th 04, 06:18 AM
Aegyssus Daciccus

Christian Merkle wrote in message ...
Aegyssus Daciccus wrote:

Anybody solved a similar problem? Please help.

Which BIOS version you´re using? I remember similar problems when i were
using 1003 or 1004.

Christian

Thanks for your reply Christian.
I'm using the last I found on ASUS website: P4PE BIOS 1007.
I touched the cpu sink and it doesn't seem too hot... Anybody has an
idea where the thermal sensor is placed? I start thinking it could be
a problem with this one...

TIA,
Aegyssus
Old January 25th 04, 02:27 PM
Ed Medlin

Thanks for your reply Christian.
I'm using the last I found on ASUS website: P4PE BIOS 1007.
I touched the cpu sink and it doesn't seem too hot... Anybody has an
idea where the thermal sensor is placed? I start thinking it could be
a problem with this one...

TIA,
Aegyssus

The thermal sensor is on the processor itself. The stock Intel fan also has
a thermistor which controls the rpms of the fan according to the ambient
temps. If you have QFan enabled in the bios, try turning it off and let the
fan itself do it's own thing.

Ed

---

Old January 26th 04, 05:20 AM
N.S.Ng

Hi,

I did have similar symptoms with my P4PE w/P4, 2.66 especially running 3D
games programs. I changed to a better power supply, Antec 430 watts psu.
Problems gone. If your psu is one of those generic ones that came with the
casing, it might not have adequate current, resulting in voltage drop.

Regards,
N.S.
om...

Old January 26th 04, 05:51 PM
Aegyssus Daciccus

"Ed Medlin" wrote in message ...
The thermal sensor is on the processor itself. The stock Intel fan also has
a thermistor which controls the rpms of the fan according to the ambient
temps. If you have QFan enabled in the bios, try turning it off and let the
fan itself do it's own thing.

Ed

Many thanks Ed for your reply,
QFan was already disabled; I enabled it just for testing purposes but
nothing changed.
Old January 26th 04, 05:58 PM
Aegyssus Daciccus

Thanks a lot for suggestion. I thought to buy a better PSU but I was
waiting a confirmation from somebody who already had the same problem
and solved it this way.

I'm gonna post the results.

Old January 27th 04, 07:58 PM
Aegyssus Daciccus

Finally I changed the power supply unit with another one at 500W
(maybe it's too much) and everything is normal now.

Thank you all for your support; it helped me to make me a better idea
about my problem.