Will I need a new power suppy for this?

Old December 28th 04, 09:40 PM
Dan B

Default Will I need a new power suppy for this?

I have a 300 watt PSU powering 2 CDRW drives, GeForce 3 ti200, XP 1500+,
256Mb PC2100, Asus A7V333, which has always worked fine. I just ordered
a new motherboard with AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512Mb PC3000, GeForce 6600
GT AGP.

Will my 300 watt power supply crumble under the weight of my new stuff?
Should I upgrade? Nvidia recommends 300 watts for the GeForce 6600 GT. I
got over excited when ordering and think maybe I should have ordered a
new PSU as well.

Thanks for your help guys...

regards

Dan B
Old December 28th 04, 09:43 PM
Al Smith

I have a 300 watt PSU powering 2 CDRW drives, GeForce 3 ti200, XP 1500+, 256Mb PC2100, Asus A7V333, which has always worked fine. I just ordered a new motherboard with AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512Mb PC3000, GeForce 6600 GT AGP.

Will my 300 watt power supply crumble under the weight of my new stuff? Should I upgrade? Nvidia recommends 300 watts for the GeForce 6600 GT. I got over excited when ordering and think maybe I should have ordered a new PSU as well.

Thanks for your help guys...

regards

Dan B

Yeah, but you've already got a 300 W power supply which is what
(according to what you wrote) Nvidia recommends. I don't see your
cause for concern. A 300 W PSU will easily meet your needs.
Old December 28th 04, 09:50 PM
John Doe

Dan B wrote:

I have a 300 watt PSU powering 2 CDRW drives, GeForce 3 ti200, XP
1500+, 256Mb PC2100, Asus A7V333, which has always worked fine. I
just ordered a new motherboard with AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512Mb
PC3000, GeForce 6600 GT AGP.
Will my 300 watt power supply crumble under the weight of my new
stuff? Should I upgrade? Nvidia recommends 300 watts for the
GeForce 6600 GT. I got over excited when ordering and think maybe I
should have ordered a new PSU as well.

My main board recommended 350 W.

For what it's worth, hopefully not sidetracking your subject.

Just in case you haven't considered this. If you're going to buy a
new power supply and you have lots of replaced parts, you may as well
by a case at the same time. You can keep your old spare parts in your
old case (or new case, whichever). I like having a set of duplicate
parts neatly placed in another case.

I wonder sometimes, how often do power supplies wear out before the
case is abandoned? I don't think I've seen a power supply wear out
yet, but I am sure others have.
Old December 28th 04, 10:13 PM
T Shadow

I wonder sometimes, how often do power supplies wear out before the
case is abandoned? I don't think I've seen a power supply wear out
yet, but I am sure others have.

Power supplies usually smell burnt when they wear out.

Old December 29th 04, 12:13 AM
jacoby

I do not see any new components that will require any appreciable increase
in power. I would try the existing supply since it has been working ok. No
sense in spending money that may not be necessary at this time.

Old December 29th 04, 09:08 PM
Michael Hawes

"Dan B" wrote in message
I have a 300 watt PSU powering 2 CDRW drives, GeForce 3 ti200, XP 1500+,
256Mb PC2100, Asus A7V333, which has always worked fine. I just ordered
a new motherboard with AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512Mb PC3000, GeForce 6600
GT AGP.

Will my 300 watt power supply crumble under the weight of my new stuff?
Should I upgrade? Nvidia recommends 300 watts for the GeForce 6600 GT. I
got over excited when ordering and think maybe I should have ordered a
new PSU as well.

Thanks for your help guys...

regards

Dan B

Try http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ It looks a bit close!
Mike.

Old December 31st 04, 03:23 PM
john

i have replaced 3 or 4 power supplys over the past couple of years for me
and my customers.

cheap ones go out, fans stop etc. even with out noticable burnt

get a decent case w/ ps to begin with

i have several 250 and 300 watt w/ no prob, but higher quality